ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   I have a crappy car, I need some advice. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/i-have-crappy-car-i-need-some-advice-8409/)

BaltimoreZ 02-07-2004 12:46 PM

I have a crappy car, I need some advice.

Hey guys,
I just replaced the master & slave cylinders for '78 and now I am having some engine difficulties. When I start her I have to give her some gas or she will conk out. I need to keep giving her gas to get her to warm up. Once she warms up she is idling rough (sounds like missing maybe) and I am getting excessive smoke from the exhaust. When I give her gas, the engine only barely revs. I am going to check the plugs later today, is there anything I need to look into? I replaced all the injectors as well several months ago. Please advise.

wolf66 02-07-2004 12:52 PM

do the fuel filter also, plugs, check plug wires. how olds the coil?

zr8d 02-07-2004 03:32 PM

if you're putting a lot of smoke out of the exhaust i don't think that has anything to do with your fuel system. sounds more like your burning oil or maybe a head gasket leak. i could be wrong though.

BaltimoreZ 02-07-2004 04:47 PM

I don't think I am burning oil, I think it is either the fuel filter or the ignition system. I was just checking to see what everyone else thought. I am not sure how old the plugs are, and I want to change them out. I have to check my Chilton's, I have never done this before, do I need a space measure or something like that??

AllmyZs 02-07-2004 06:59 PM

It sounds like bad sprark. Either plugs cap rotor or wires. To be safe replace them all. My Z did this and it was just the plugs.

Bleach 02-07-2004 07:48 PM

...but it could also be another part of the fuel injection system that is causing the engine to run too rich or too lean.
The fuel pressure regulator can easily get stuck and cause this condition; either lean or rich. There is also the head temp sensor, air flow meter. I think the fuel pressure is the most common to really go bad.

Speed 02-08-2004 09:27 PM

I agree with Bleachzee, but . . .

when you were messing with the brake cylinder, did you unplug the vacum hose to the brake booster, or disturb it in any fashion?

If this line has a vacum leak, it will cause your engine problems.

If you have good vacum, check out your Air Flow Meter, Throttle positioning switch, - items Bleachzee states. Could also be fuel filter plugged, or even weak fuel pump, or a loose sensor wire on the intake manifold or water temperature sender.

I suggest check the engine area where you been working, to see if you have anything loose. Finally, is your air filter plugged, or have you been buying bad gas anywhere?

Speed

Enjoy the Ride!:)

Airpilot16 02-12-2004 09:47 AM

I also agree with Speed, if you have any kind of blockage or the hose for the booster is loose, you will have engine trouble due to vacuum leak.

280zdriver_16 03-05-2004 05:47 AM

the car

check your afm

BaltimoreZ 03-06-2004 08:43 AM

Hey Peeps,
Thanks for the assistance. I finally got it started, and I took it to my mechanic to make sure it was nothing serious. He said something to the effect of oil being on the plugs and this causing the popping sound. It seems to be running fine now. Thanks for the advice.