240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Been sitting for 2 1/2 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:47 PM

Re: Been sitting for 2 1/2 years

what hapened to me was my master cylinder went so it had no pressure check that too

Old 06-27-2002, 10:08 AM
The Evil Twin

Yes, I have heard that you can put some oil inside each cylinder. Take out the spark plugs, put a couple spoonfuls of oil in each hole, and then put a socket on the front main nut and turn it around a couple times with the spark plugs out. (on the ZX you may need to remove the fan or radiator) take a look and see how much room is in there.

I dont' remember what kind of oil was recommended. WD-40 might be ok. Also some thin motor oil would be harmless. Also, after turning the engine over a few times you could let her set for a day to let the oil soak in around the rings. Another thing that may not be nessisary, but couldn't hurt...

Do your usual oil/filter change, and when putting oil back in, take off the valve cover and dump some oil over the cam and followers. First clean out any goopy oil mess you see there. Fill the engine to its usual capacity and replace the valve cover.

Then start the motor after replacing the spark plugs.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:56 AM
The Evil Twin

The point of my suggestion is exactly as mentioned above. You want to GENTLY let the rings and pistons run some oil up and down the piston walls. Turning by hand is about 2 rpm. You need just enough oil to cover the surface of the piston. As the piston goes up and down it will lube and clean up the cylinder walls inside. Letting it set a day will let the oil around the edge kind of soak into the rings and get any grit all lubed up. The oil will definatly burn for a bit when you first start up the engine. Putting the oil on the cam gets that nice and wet since at first you'll have pretty dry cam lobes.

Also, when you first start up the engine, you can never be sure how the fuel/air/idle will go and the engine may idle high or revv up to 2200 rpm accidently for just a moment. Doing all this lubrication will ensure that nothing gets scratched up in that first startup before the oil has time to be sucked into the oil pump and up into your cam, then run down over everything. If something does get scratched, then it'll just get worse from here on out and you'll need to do some rebuilding within a year or two. :-(

that's why a daily driver lasts so long! My car has had daily use to and from work and is running strong a 197,000 miles. I've kept up on maintenance. The only problem is something with my cold start system, but I'll look into that later. I just have to set for a minute each morning before I take off for work.