240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

AFM BOOT REPAIR ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 12:51 PM
The Evil Twin

Re: AFM BOOT REPAIR ?

What we really need is a small plastic or aluminum elbow that has the hookups for the factory hoses, then just connect each side with a sewer hose rubber connector. The aluminum will never fail, and the end connectors are easily replacable at your local hardware store for $5 each.

If I could figure one out pretty easily, I can sell them cheap to people that need one. I think mine might also have a tiny leak. I'm starting to run lean at idle, but just fine at other rpms.

Has anyone priced them with Nissan? A new one would be nice.. .but probably $100 or so.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:21 AM
The Evil Twin

Does soaking rubber in anything actually restore it? If I find a decent one in a junk yard, can I stick it in a bottle of WD-40 or Armorall for like 6 months and have the rubber come out all soft like new? hehe...

Kinda a joke, but really... can it be done? Heating up rubber makes it soft clear through. Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2002, 01:32 PM
The Evil Twin

Well, most people already know to grab a PCV 2.5 inch pipe from Home Depot and attach it with a rubber connector from the front of your AFM to the air filter in front of the radiator. That hooks right into your K&N filter. The 2.5" pipe comes out at just under 3 inches which is perfect for the outside diameter of the AFM.

The connector from the AFM to the throttle body is a little harder. Anyone could of done the same thing with PCV except for the fact that there are three connectors (from my memory) on it. One is for your cold start/fast idle air bypass, one is for the valve cover vent, and another is for intake vaccume or something like that. Two connectors are rather large, maybe 3/4 inch diameter and the third is a very small vaccume line. Its hard to figure out a way to seal those to the elbow if you've got a hard plastic PCV thing there.

If you did figure it out, it wouldn't be worth all that much. I suppose I would price it based on how much time and cost of materials. I wouldn't go for show quality, just something that looks clean and neat and can be painted to match the car or painted black to blend in. I was hoping it woudnt be more than $20-25 so poor Datsun owners (like myself) can afford it. If you made that, the bonus would be that the rubber end connectors are generic drain pipe connectors and can be replaced whenever you want with fresh ones from your local hardware store.

I suppose if I made one, I could also get the outer connector piece and include the set together so they match. BUT, even people that use the stock air cleaner can bennefit from fixing any leaks between the AFM and throttle body.