300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Boot Camp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:11 PM

Boot Camp!!!

Hey all just wanted to let you all know that I am going into boot camp for the navy comin up here in april. I am going for SWCC. Kinda special warfare. But anyway enough about me what am I doing with my car right. Well it to is going through boot camp and when it gets out its going to be one built mother f*****. I get a nice little bonous of 25k for going in and its getting put into my car. Well not all of it I want to keep some for other stuff. But most. Any way what I Plan on doing.

Vg33 block
Reg. et head (so not to much has to be done to fit it)
Forged Custom 8.5:1 compression
Forged Rods
Forged crank

Work over the head completey:
Larger valves
double valve springs
custom cams
pretty much everything

Fuel and spark:
New plugs and wires (of course anyone with suggestion as to best plug?)
custom fuel rail
adjustable fpr
stainless lines
not sure weither the 300zx twin turbo pump or the walbro 255(suggestions)

Air:
T4 bb all the way im pretty sure. Clip the fins and everything make is spool a little faster.
intercooler (as large as possible)
custom intake plenuim with possible 90mm throttle body.
A cool little design I came up with for a hide away ram air. (will show when done)
full 3" or 3.5" exaust the whole way back with a dump valve before the cat. going to put a very conservitave exhaust on it keep it quite.

Tranny and driveline.
Built proof the tranny or if possibe take the one out of the new vet 6 speed.
Lighted fly wheel
Damn good clutch
custom lightweight driveshaft.
rear end havent really looked at that yet but i pretty sure were going to have to do something a good ford or chevy and shorten it.
custom wheels in back able to hold close to or 9" tires.

Its going to get a little body work also but we will see what gets done.
I know its not all there what I want to do but its most anyone with some suggestions on stuff or thinks I should do something diffrent please tell me. I would really like the imput. I am getting the car built up no matter what and would like to keep the motor a nissan part. (most as possible) Thanks all in advance.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
confuzed member

some of that stuff may cost more than $25K....like retrofitting the new vette 6 speed.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:18 PM

If it is going to cost to much money I can get the tranny completely rebuilt and bulit proofed for like 4k and thats with a lifetime warrenty! We will see what happens but it is should be still alot less than that.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:26 PM
confuzed member

make sure to use maybe $4K of that money to buy a DD if you don't already have one. Once you go built, there's more problems than you think...built isn't always reliable.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:50 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

good luck in great mistakes. boot camp was..... interesting. though from what i heard from some booters showing up fresh to my ship they go easy on you guys now.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Why would someone want to spend $25k on a car that's only going to be worth $5k tops?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:45 PM

because its not about the price of it. Its the fact that knowing you have it and its there. Why would you pay 100k for a car when its just a bunch of metal, rubber, and plastic. Shear joy of driving it. But anyway like i said I have alot to look into yet.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:43 PM

Drive a $100,000 car and you'll know the difference. Dump $25,000 into a Z31, and you still have a Z31. Anything happens to it (wrecked, stolen, damaged, etc) and your insurance company writes you a check for $5,000. Something happens to your $100,000 car and the insurance company writes you a check for $100,000.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Über User

yup that... .and they charge you the cost of the 5k car a year for full coverage. lol
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 PM
confuzed member

I'm suprised to hear you guys saying this. We're tuning fans here. Tuning takes money. $25K to build a car seems suitable...I'd build a TT, but build what you want to. I'm suprised to hear that from people on this site. It's the idea of taking a car that doesn't cost as much as a supercar and building it enough to beat the snot out of supercars. Iv'e done this to many panteras, vipers, 911 turbos, ferrari's, etc. It's the tuning market.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:24 AM

There are somethings I agree with. Dumping $25k into a $5k car isn't one of them. Especially since most of the desired affect could be accomplished with under $10k. The 6 spd transmission is stupid. You don't need 6 gears.

Look around. AMZ performance sells VG33 motors ready for you. Mate it up with a big turbo and other stuff and you're good to go. Total engine cost would be well under 10k.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:17 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
There are somethings I agree with. Dumping $25k into a $5k car isn't one of them. Especially since most of the desired affect could be accomplished with under $10k. The 6 spd transmission is stupid. You don't need 6 gears.

Look around. AMZ performance sells VG33 motors ready for you. Mate it up with a big turbo and other stuff and you're good to go. Total engine cost would be well under 10k.
whether you agree with it or not, I bet you didn't call Wagz or Greg Dupree stupid when they dumped money into their Z's (I don't know who the big ones are in the Z31 world). I bet you just thought they were fantastic Z's, one that wins tons of shows and also goes, and one that runs 9's with full interior and stereo.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:24 PM
confuzed member

Also, yes the engine would cost maybe about $10K, probably more as what AMZ offers is a blank block and heads combo for about $6K. There's a lot more to put on there to make satisfying gains off of that motor. that big turbo you're takling about would be anywhere from $1K to $2K+ by itself. However, even if the engine costed less than $10K, then you'd have to have a driveline that can support that power and put it to the wheels, then suspension, then exterior and interior. Tuning isn't cheap. Maybe your desired affect will cost you $10K, but not everyone's.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by emo236
whether you agree with it or not, I bet you didn't call Wagz or Greg Dupree stupid when they dumped money into their Z's (I don't know who the big ones are in the Z31 world). I bet you just thought they were fantastic Z's, one that wins tons of shows and also goes, and one that runs 9's with full interior and stereo.
I don't recall saying it was stupid to dump that much money in a car. I'm just pointing out that you've now spent $25k on a car that's only worth $5k.

What do you think would happen if Greg or Wagz got in a wreck, smacked a wall, had their car dissappear? Or do you think they've actually insured their cars for an agreed value?

And I don't hear of any Z31 owners who have dumped more than $10k into their cars. Most are done on budgets of about $5k and end up spending anywhere from $7k to $9k.

As far as the drivetrain, the 87-89 turbo transmissions are known to hold tons of power. As are the differentials. The parts that seem to break with high power cars are half shafts and stub axles.

Suspension is a moot point. Unless they do something completely out there like an S13/S14/Z32 rear swap, there isn't a lot in terms of suspension available. Just a few different shock and spring options and no coil over kits, at least, not just yet.

Brakes? Z32 front brakes with 87-89 rears.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:12 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
I don't recall saying it was stupid to dump that much money in a car. I'm just pointing out that you've now spent $25k on a car that's only worth $5k.

What do you think would happen if Greg or Wagz got in a wreck, smacked a wall, had their car dissappear? Or do you think they've actually insured their cars for an agreed value?

And I don't hear of any Z31 owners who have dumped more than $10k into their cars. Most are done on budgets of about $5k and end up spending anywhere from $7k to $9k.

As far as the drivetrain, the 87-89 turbo transmissions are known to hold tons of power. As are the differentials. The parts that seem to break with high power cars are half shafts and stub axles.

Suspension is a moot point. Unless they do something completely out there like an S13/S14/Z32 rear swap, there isn't a lot in terms of suspension available. Just a few different shock and spring options and no coil over kits, at least, not just yet.

Brakes? Z32 front brakes with 87-89 rears.
All of that ads up pretty quick. And if Greg or Wagz got in a wreck, their cars would be lost. You're right, but it's a moot point b/c it's the arguments that supercar owners make after losing to a 15 year old nissan.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
the three years i had my z31 na slicky, i spent around 8k on repairs and routine maintenance. it was still only a 1500$ car --until it got sodomized and suicidal------how much DO you put into a car with limited value return?????
Old 12-26-2006, 09:57 PM
confuzed member

zhag, who are you talking to?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Über User

no one knows....
Old 12-28-2006, 10:19 AM

With all my cars I have had transmission Problems so I am going to make sure that the tranny and cluth and the whole damn drive line will never break under the amount of power that I want and I never said I was planning on dropping that much money into it. the work is going to be mostly custom done by a shop that I know who is helping me alot with it it shouldn't even be close to that but im not sure what I. am going to do I hope not spend much more than 10k on it but we will see what happens.