240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

280z headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:03 PM

280z headlight problems

Hey Guys

Been a while since last I was on here...my z has treated me good...she was actually my project, but accidentially turned into my DD since my DD(1987 porsche 944) has been giving me trouble, trouble, trouble.

From day 1 my Z's head lights were not 100%...left light was out when in low bim, but both lights on when in high bim mode...so I just used her in high bim mode...they are pretty weak anyway...never had anyone flash me down for it.
The other day I had to use her to jump start my porsche 944, which probably ran too much current through her...burnt one of the fusible links...caught it pretty early and installed a new one...BUT now I have a problem: when in high bim, only the left light works...when in low bim, only the right light works I checked the fuse box and all seam good. I am worried that when I burnt the fusible link I probably burnt something.
What would be a good starting point to check....I will just start by admitting that electrical is not my strong side...ever since I almost burnt down my house as kid...yeah I had to play with outlets

TIA
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by LVZ280
Hey Guys

Been a while since last I was on here...my z has treated me good...she was actually my project, but accidentially turned into my DD since my DD(1987 porsche 944) has been giving me trouble, trouble, trouble.

From day 1 my Z's head lights were not 100%...left light was out when in low bim, but both lights on when in high bim mode...so I just used her in high bim mode...they are pretty weak anyway...never had anyone flash me down for it.
The other day I had to use her to jump start my porsche 944, which probably ran too much current through her...burnt one of the fusible links...caught it pretty early and installed a new one...BUT now I have a problem: when in high bim, only the left light works...when in low bim, only the right light works I checked the fuse box and all seam good. I am worried that when I burnt the fusible link I probably burnt something.
What would be a good starting point to check....I will just start by admitting that electrical is not my strong side...ever since I almost burnt down my house as kid...yeah I had to play with outlets

TIA
For the most accurate diagnosis, put the year of your car in your posts. The headlight circuit did not change much from 75 to 78 though.
You can go to Xenon S30 Reference to find the service manual for your car. The BE section of the FSM gives detailed layouts on the headlight circuit.

On the 280Z headlight circuit, the 12VDC+ comes in on a white/red wire. It goes through the combo switch on the right side and goes out as a red wire to the fuse box. The power gets split between two fuses and comes out as a red wire (right) and red/yellow wire (left) and goes to their respective headlights. Each headlight has two wires coming off of it. The red/white wire takes the current back for the high beam, and the red/black wire takes the current back for the low beam. The two wires go back to the left side of the combo switch. From there, the switch on the turn stalk will connect either the R/W or R/B wire to ground.

Start by checking the connectors at the headlights. Clean those connectors well. It would be good to check to see if you have good connection to ground with the R/B and R/W wires at each headlight. You might just have bad headlights.

If that isn't the case, then you probably want to find someone who knows more about electricity to do more diagnostics on the switches, etc.

Last edited by Steve260Z74; 12-08-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Corrected wire colors
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Do you have a multimeter?. Pull the harness off the lamp. Ground the black meter lead. Insert the red DMM lead into connector and check for continuity to ground. Check for 12 volts in each of the other two contacts. Be sure to wiggle the wires and connectors of the harness - I think your harness is worn out. Repeat for other side.

Post the results.