240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Running Hot - 260Z - Radiator or Electric Fan Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Running Hot - 260Z - Radiator or Electric Fan Options?

260Z with 70,000 original miles and what appears to be the original radiator is running at 3/4 hot on the temp gage most of the time after warm-up.

What are the better options?

New/Aftermarket high performance radiator?

Aftermarket Electric Fan?

Both?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
The Good Twin

Stock rad is fine for a stock engine. Electric fan is good if you get the right one.

See my post in your other thread ( in which this question could have been asked too ) https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-performance-technical-124/door-guts-260z-passenger-door-window-crank-components-22147/
Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Über User

its hopeless, just sel lthe car and send me the engine harness.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
naaah--let me have it--i like hot carZ......and stinky ones.....seriously-----when was the radiator and cooliing system last serviced?????????............
Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by z-hag

when was the radiator and cooliing system last serviced?????????............

About 3-4 weeks ago I installed the cooling system flush valve and flushed the engine and cooling system the removed the cooling system flush valve and replaced the hose with a new/one-piece hose and refilled with new coolant, so the system is flushed clean and has new antifreeze/coolant.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
See my post in your other thread
Thank you, will check that out.

( in which this question could have been asked too ) https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22147
I answer questions on another forum and from experienced I like to answer dedicated questions versus a thousand questions in a single post so my habit is to post dedicated/single questions to other forums to do my best to make it easy for others to post replies.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
About 3-4 weeks ago I installed the cooling system flush valve and flushed the engine and cooling system the removed the cooling system flush valve and replaced the hose with a new/one-piece hose and refilled with new coolant, so the system is flushed clean and has new antifreeze/coolant.
Have you checked / changed the thermostat? That's the main item to control temp.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:23 AM

Have you checked / changed the thermostat? That's the main item to control temp.
No, not yet, but I'm picking up a new one today.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Even a good rad/cooling flush job can't get rid of the really stubborn scale and deposits. After 30 years, it might be worth taking the radiator to a dedicated shop to clean, steam, and rod it out. Usually $50 to $100, for a good and thorough pro job. Cheaper than an aftermarket upgrade. Alternatively, maybe do repeated flushes and running some cleaner to progressively take out all the built up stuff.
Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
Even a good rad/cooling flush job can't get rid of the really stubborn scale and deposits. After 30 years, it might be worth taking the radiator to a dedicated shop to clean, steam, and rod it out. Usually $50 to $100, for a good and thorough pro job. Cheaper than an aftermarket upgrade. Alternatively, maybe do repeated flushes and running some cleaner to progressively take out all the built up stuff.
Dave

Autozone replacement is $200.00, I've decided to take it to a reputable shop and have them rebuild it to be as good or better than new.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 AM

Check the fan clutch. It is commonly overlooked, but can lead to serious overheating problems.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
Check the fan clutch. It is commonly overlooked, but can lead to serious overheating problems.
Will do, thanks for the tip.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Checked with the local radiator experts and they say they will clean and rod-out my original radiator for $65.00

Autozone has an aftermarket replacement for about $100.00

I want to keep the car all original so I'm leaning to having the original cleaned and rodded-out. I will check with the shop on Monday to see if it might be a good idea to keep the orginal housing and tank but replace the core with new/modern technology?

Also found a Z-car on ebay for sale with a Howes Aluminum Hi Performance Radiator

At the end of the day I need a car that will run cool as I live in the Mojave Desert, (Apple Valley, California), it was about 90 degrees today and it's March!

I'm also planning to install a Vintage Air Air Conditioning system in the near future, I'll take pictures and include a write-up for this forum for others to reference in the future. I know this isn't going to be a stock/original system but I'm willing to sacrifice a little originality for a Air Conditioning system that will freeze me out of the car on a sunny day here in the desert.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 PM

I guess my bet would be go for the $65 clean-out, which should help alot and last at least a good bit for now. Meanwhile, save up and get an aluminum radiator (Griffin, MSA, Howe's, whoever you like). For SW desert guys, S30 Z's are kinda undercooled, especially with A/C or with an A/T. A good Aluminum radiator is, for me anyway, the ultimate solution to an otherwise in good shape cooling system. It is probably the most expensive route, though. I'm ordering the polished MSA aluminum unit for my '78. Some folks on here have used the 3 or 4 row upgrades, to varying degrees of happiness. Hopefully some will post with their good or bad notes about their experiences?
Dave
Old 05-03-2007, 12:13 AM

Had the original radiator rebuilt and the repair guy said it was full of crud. Re-installed the radiator, new belts and hoses. Didn't replace the thermostat because they either work or they don't and this one appears to be working. Replaced the Radiator cap. Replaced antifreeze, added on gallon Prestone Antifreeze and the rest tap water.

Checked the fan clutch and it appears to be fine.

On a hot day the temp gage runs up to about 3/4 on the gage unless I turn the heater on and help pull heat out through the heater.

I kind of was hoping it would run cooler without the heater being on?

My car did NOT come with a radiator fan shroud, so that's the next step, finding a shroud and adding this to the radiator.

Comments?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 AM

I have a aluminum rad with a electric fan on a 3.1 stroker. When it's hot out it runs hot. It never seems to get hot enough to boil out any coolant but the gauge is definitly on the hot side compared to average temp days. I'm thinking that adding a pusher fan to the front of the rad should take care of any heat issues for me. With the load of the AC on hot days and even in slow moving traffic it will probably have your Z running on the hot side. Adding a fan would be a option to consider. Although a aluminum rad will disapate heat quicker I'm not convinced that it actually cools any better. Other than losing a couple pounds in weight and with time and elbow grease you can make them look "purrrrrrdy", a new or like new rad with a electric fan would do the trick.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewthumb/6190413201-1175464404-20976/preview/page/1/15/

Last edited by HotRod Z; 05-22-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a present for you...

Mojave is about 3500 ft elevation. Drier thinner air. The 260 E88 head had smaller quench area to make them run hotter for smog control. Thermostats can partially fail, stick half way, I've seen it. A shroud will help alot. I have a 3 row in mine with a shroud and it never gets over 200 degrees even when it's over 100 here at 4500 elevation.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by HotRod Z
I have a aluminum rad with a electric fan on a 3.1 stroker. When it's hot out it runs hot. It never seems to get hot enough to boil out any coolant but the gauge is definitly on the hot side compared to average temp days. I'm thinking that adding a pusher fan to the front of the rad should take care of any heat issues for me. With the load of the AC on hot days and even in slow moving traffic it will probably have your Z running on the hot side. Adding a fan would be a option to consider. Although a aluminum rad will disapate heat quicker I'm not convinced that it actually cools any better. Other than losing a couple pounds in weight and with time and elbow grease you can make them look "purrrrrrdy", a new or like new rad with a electric fan would do the trick.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewthumb/6190413201-1175464404-20976/preview/page/1/15/
HotRodZ- DAMN! that's a saweeet ride!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Ruff Ryder

a bigger fan might also solve the problem..
Old 05-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Thanks...it's alot of fun too.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:55 AM

Nice lookin' ride, HotRodZ! That's the nicest set of 5-point star style wheels I've seen on an S30, and the upholstery upgrade looks stock, but is a nicer, much more comfortable material. Also love the silver/polish theme on the motor!

Yeah, an aluminum radiator should cool better than stock/brass, if all else is equal (but of course it never is). And with a 3.1 stroker, that's just a lot of heat to get rid of, especially if you're in a warmer region. I bet you could run a rad made out of silver (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...als-d_858.html) and it would still be warm.

Has anyone here used the approach of the 4wd guys, and added a second fan on the same side of the radiator as the first? I wonder if it would be at all better than a well-shrouded single fan. I'm installing my new rad and fan this weekend (finally), and haven't decided if I'll try to make my stock shroud fit or not.

Dave