240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Got my 260Z running!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Got my 260Z running!

Wow. Got to spend two days with the Z this weekend. Started looking over it. Every bit of wiring in the car has been cut out and hacked.
The Engine needed to be wired. That's when I noticed that it has a mechanical advance Mallory distributor. Nice.
Easy to wire. Got that wired, checked for spark. Put new oil, filter, and flushed/filled the cooling system. Had a can of starting fluid sitting there so I gave it a shot. Hit the starter, and bam. There it was. A sweet idle and the car was purring like it never sat in a scrap yard. Man was I shocked.
So, I pulled the line off the back of the fuel pump and stuck a hose into a can of new high octane gas. Turned it over and over again, but not luck. Took the fuel pump apart, and the diaphram was shot. No big deal. I went and picked up a temporary electric and hooked it up. Got some fuel to the carbs, then had to clean the floats out so they would shut the fuel off again. Okay. No leaks. Good to go. That is when I shot this video.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=19244032

I am still stunned that everything on the car works like it should. Minus some minor fixes.

So, the next day I took the fuel tank out, drained what was left of what used to be gas out. Used my compressor and blew the line out because it was clogged completely. Installed a bunch of new gas line and ran it to the new pump with some new gas. Checked Trans, brake, and differential fluid.
Car started and ran like a champ again, so I took it for a drive around the block and to the gas station. Car runs just like it should, but the brakes and bushings need some attention. I can't believe what I just got in this car for $600.
Minor rust problems that will need to be fixed, along with the wiring. I am really going to have fun working on this car.

Just wanted to fill you guys in, and say thanks for the help I have received already.

Hope this link works for the pictures. I only had time to upload them to my Myspace profile. www.myspace.com/JTRatfink
This direct link should work.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1377400
Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM

Good find, what a deal...

I paid $5200.00 for mine and since then have replaced the gas tank, the fuel pump, filters, radiator, heater core, heater valve and now I'm replacing the rear axle u-joints followed by all the brakes.

All the above was expected as we've owned mostly old cars all our life.