240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

No oil pressure after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM

I know other people have had this problem with oil pressure... let me assure you that i have read alot of other post on this issue... for starters, im using a 240 head (e88) and a 280zxt block (f54) with flat top pistons, new oil pump from 280zx that does pull oil when the shaft is spun (just saying that so you know that plth pump does work), new rings, gaskets, new valve stem seals,reseated the valves, etc...etc... have primed the oil pump and filter... my question is this, has anyone had this problem after trying to get pressure after doing that? I have been reading about using a drill to prime the oil passages and I understand how but I'm trying to find out the best/most efficient way of connecting something to the shaft... My thought is to use a spare shaft and remove the gears that spin off of the crank and somehow connect it to the shaft (most likely using a spare distributors lower half then spin it with the drill.... How have people in the past done this? And also I'm using the 240z distributor and shaft for now because I know they both worked before the rebuild... Don't see how it could effect anything because both the distributor and pump are spinning.... I'm not getting any oil from the pressure gauge hole or from the oil filter stud after the priming and turning it over
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

You don't spin the oil / dizzy shaft with a drill... these aren't Chevy V8's.

The fastest way to get oil pressure once you've primed the pump & filter is to remove all spark plugs & crank the motor until the oil pressure light goes out (in 10-20 seconds of cranking). If the light never goes out, then you need to check at the vavle cover to make sure oil is coming up. Just an FYI, these old oil pressure sensors do go bad.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jsnrjock
I know other people have had this problem with oil pressure... let me assure you that i have read alot of other post on this issue... for starters, im using a 240 head (e88) and a 280zxt block (f54) with flat top pistons, new oil pump from 280zx that does pull oil when the shaft is spun (just saying that so you know that plth pump does work), new rings, gaskets, new valve stem seals,reseated the valves, etc...etc... have primed the oil pump and filter... my question is this, has anyone had this problem after trying to get pressure after doing that? I have been reading about using a drill to prime the oil passages and I understand how but I'm trying to find out the best/most efficient way of connecting something to the shaft... My thought is to use a spare shaft and remove the gears that spin off of the crank and somehow connect it to the shaft (most likely using a spare distributors lower half then spin it with the drill.... How have people in the past done this? And also I'm using the 240z distributor and shaft for now because I know they both worked before the rebuild... Don't see how it could effect anything because both the distributor and pump are spinning.... I'm not getting any oil from the pressure gauge hole or from the oil filter stud after the priming and turning it over
I assume you did replace the oil pickup with strainer before you sealed the oil pan onto the block. That said which head gasket did you use to match the block and early cylinder head. If it's a new pump that's not your problem unless you did not align distributor drive gear correctly with pump body. Just a comb through with what you might have already done.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM

NismoPick
I read about pulling the plugs but didn't try that bc I thought that was just to decrease compression in the cylinders to help it turn over... Does it do more than that? And about the drill... I read that on a Z forum and was trying to get more info on it... Thanks for the heads up on the info

Zeenzee
I'm not sure what you mean by replace the oil strainer... It was cleaned and was not clogged up... And the gasket was for the 280zx, all of the wholes lined up properly and nothing was blocked...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM
The Good Twin

No compression lets the motor spin up faster, which creates oil pressure faster...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM

I'll try it with pulling the plugs hopefully tonight or tomorrow... Is there anything else I should try?

Also... The pressure sensor work before... I'll get another one to confirm it but there is no oil what so ever even making it to the sensor or filter

Last edited by Jsnrjock; 12-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.