240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

New to Datsun

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
The Good Twin

Meh... I thought I've seen a 280z w/ power steering. According to Snw... no S30 has ever had power steering. There ya have it.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM

there's a few that people put power steering on, as i so plan to do muhahaha
Old 04-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Power steering is for gays.

Not that theres anything wrong with gays.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by raythenegr0
Power steering is for gays.
Quite a naive comment.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Über User

no really, power steering in an S30 is gay. it is completly uneccessary. its a manual rack so it feels like any power steering car just with MUCH better positive feedback and only becomes slightly difficult to use at a dead stop. even then, the cars weigh well under 3000lbs so totally unecessary. ive gone into steep drifts with the 260 (sorry ray only 2 times promise) and didnt even think about the manual rack cause it feels fine. all your doing by going PS is adding weight, less feedback as to what your driving on, more power train hp loss, and a worse ratio for steering. more turns.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Probably why the door won't close 100% ****** lol
Old 04-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Über User

lol... no no, thats either cause the frame at the top is goofy or you need to adjust it. look at the latch the door latches to its mounted to the car istelf on the sill. it should be held in place by two large philip screws loosen them up and it moves around, just loosen them a little bit, tap them back slowly and then re-tighten and close the door again and see where its at. it takes some playing around with to get it right.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:27 AM

You guys are right about that powersteering, they are really useless.

Anyway, I gave the car a really good tune up. But there is something not right, everytime the car is running it seems to be jumping the engine speed to 500rpm to 1000rpm like every several minutes. When I twist around the spark wires it seem to stay about 800r rpm, sometimes 1000rpm. When I let a day pass by I tried to start the car again, the engine speed is changing again, I have to open the hood again and wobble the wires again to make it maintian its engine speed. ANY THOUGHT?

Last edited by amanofgreatevil; 04-28-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Über User

you could start with a tune up. change the cap rotor spark plugs and the wires
Old 04-28-2008, 06:12 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
you could start with a tune up.
Good advice right after he says this:

Originally Posted by amanofgreatevil
Anyway, I gave the car a really good tune up.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Über User

shut up. lol. maybe if you havent already clean the electrical connections in the engine bay and on the ecu. also check the timing. need a timing light for that though. and its got all new gas in it right? also a vacume leak could cause similare problems
Old 05-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Well Guys, she running great. She stays on 900rpm. I gave her new gas, and she runs smooth. Now, She is still smoking, but not alot. there is a new law here in America, if there any visible smoke out the vehicle it can't pass smog. I don't know what to do now, the car is not a California car, so it don't have smog equipments. I want to deal with the car before the end of may.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
West Coast!

what you can do is get a po box in a city that has no smog laws like(like where hoov100 lives) and register it there.
hoov100 lives in thousand palms just to let you know
Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tonsoffun300zx
what you can do is get a po box in a city that has no smog laws like(like where hoov100 lives) and register it there.
hoov100 lives in thousand palms just to let you know

Really? That might just work, but I am about 517 miles away from Thousand palms, but to po box it there just might work... Looks like I am going to have a road trip with my 68 Thunderbird towing the Datsun there.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM
West Coast!

not necessarily to there find the closest city without smog laws, you might even find one next to your city. just search
Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Über User

ive been thinking about that stupid plan you guys all thought up, its still registered under you, so who is to say they wont base the smog off where your ddriver's license is from or your mailing address cause you have the title created under a PO box?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 PM
West Coast!

i don't know but why not give it a shot
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Cool Smoking info

It is nice to see that you are getting it back together. For the smoking, I would recommend putting a can of sea foam into the fuel tank to clean out any water, to clean out the fuel lines and such. You can get here in almost any parts store. You should be be able to find it there. Keep driving it around, the ring may need to be replaced. It also may clean it self up after a few miles. Wish you the best, Rich.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:49 PM
NisTuner

For the smoking my guess would be the good ol' 280Z water temp sensor. These things have pretty much failed on every 280z that has the original sensor by now. So they'll start to make the car run alot more rich than it's supposed to be. Causing it to smoke. I noticed you said the smoke was light grey. I'm not sure what that is. It may also be alot of backed up crap in the exhaust that has sat and is making it's way out. Whenever my car sits for months at a time in a garage, when I start it up for the first time I get a bunch of smoke. Just like excess dust, moisture, etc that's accumulated in the tailpipe is making it's way out.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks guys, I got it a different brand fuel cleaner and rev the **** out of the car. Still smoking, I tried to adjust the idler speed, but still smokin. The guy at autozone said, "the car might not pass smog, you should scrapped it to get the $$$ you want for it". Do you guys think that scraping my car is a good idea, just to for get it? I mean if it can't pass smog, do I just get rid of it?

I been reving the **** out of the old gas that I drained out and full it up with fresh gas, with fuel cleaner. Still no luck?

Thanks, Nick
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 PM
West Coast!

just keep at it don't kill another z just cause it won't pass smog. sell it if worse comes to worse.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
The Good Twin

Let's recap:

The color smoke is light gray
Originally Posted by NismoPick
What color smoke?

blue = burning oil
white = burning coolant
black = running too rich
Thanks guys, I got it a different brand fuel cleaner and rev the **** out of the car. Still smoking, I tried to adjust the idler speed, but still smokin.
Why is everyone telling him to do fuel treatment??? The spark plug tips will tell if fuel cleaner is needed. As for the light gray (blue??? white???) smoke... that's usually a sign of burning oil or burning coolant. You can rev it with all the fuel treatments in the world... that won't stop it from burning oil or coolant. Does it consume a lot of oil? Does the motor get hot (above middle of temp gauge)???

Last edited by NismoPick; 05-07-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Let's recap:

Why is everyone telling him to do fuel treatment??? The spark plug tips will tell if fuel cleaner is needed. As for the light gray (blue??? white???) smoke... that's usually a sign of burning oil or burning coolant. You can rev it with all the fuel treatments in the world... that won't stop it from burning oil or coolant. Does it consume a lot of oil? Does the motor get hot (above middle of temp gauge)???
The temp gauge haven't go up that far, I don't want to take the chance of over heating it. I don't see if the coolant is draining in the radiator. But the car is about 1/4 of oil
Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 PM
The Good Twin

The temp gauge haven't go up that far, I don't want to take the chance of over heating it.
Why do you think it would overheat?

I don't see if the coolant is draining in the radiator.
Huh? You mean there's no coolant in the radiator?

But the car is about 1/4 of oil
1/4 full of oil? It's 3/4 empty?

You need to narrow down the cause of the smoke. Is it blue-ish? Is it white? What does it smell like? What do your spark plug tips look like? Is the oil foamy?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 PM

Why do you think it would overheat?

Huh? You mean there's no coolant in the radiator?

1/4 full of oil? It's 3/4 empty?

You need to narrow down the cause of the smoke. Is it blue-ish? Is it white? What does it smell like? What do your spark plug tips look like? Is the oil foamy?
There is coolant, I mean I don't see if it is draining when the car ran. I've know most people who had a datsun like mine that over heats and have to replace almost everything in the engine. The engine has 1/4 of its old black oil.

Quick Reply: New to Datsun