240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

New to Datsun

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM

New to Datsun

Hello zdriver forums,
First let me introduce my self on this site, my name is Nick and I been working on a 1968 ford for a long time. When I saw this 1977 280z that was sitting on its same spot for 2 years near my house, I wrote a note to the datsun owner. Few days after, he called me and wanted to sell it for dirt cheap, the orange datsun cost $300. He sold it to me this cheap because he want it out of his yard, he don't have the time to mess with it.

He drove the car from Oregon to Californa 4 years ago, and he said it drive great. The car is from oregon, and it won't pass smog here in californa. Do anyone know why?

Another problem I have on the 280z, When I first installed a new battery for this car, it started right up, which it shocken me that it achally ran, but it seems really weak and died on me about few minute after. It dose have a full tank of gas, I think it is four or two years old. Later, I looked around the messy wire system, and pulled out the coil checked it, it seemed fine and put it back, looked around the distubior, that was fine also. I try to start it again, it won't start up at all, it still crank, got gas, and no starting up. What could be wrong with it? There is no spark on the spark plug. It like I touched the wires and won't start, but I did noticed the black wire out of the coil is not connected. Where this wire should go?

I really wanted to ride this car bad, and the probs are making me crazy
Thanks, Nick.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!!!

#1... Buy a Haynes manual. They are very useful & all the basic maintenance & repair info is found there.

Originally Posted by amanofgreatevil
The car is from oregon, and it won't pass smog here in californa. Do anyone know why?
CA has strict emissions laws.

It dose have a full tank of gas, I think it is four or two years old.
ALWAYS DRAIN & REPLACE GAS THAT IS OVER A YEAR OLD. You prolly sucked up a ton of water, rust, dirt, and other things into the fuel system.

There is no spark on the spark plug. It like I touched the wires and won't start, but I did noticed the black wire out of the coil is not connected. Where this wire should go?
It ran then stopped? I'm sure it still has spark... the motor got choked out from some nasty old gas.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks NismoPick,
But the gas seems to be clean, but I will do so anyway. If something did got suck in the car fuel lines, how do I actually get them out? I am new to fuel injection cars. I wanted the car to pass smog, how is this possible? Dose it need a cadillac converter or something?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 PM
The Good Twin

Just because the gas "looks" like gas... doesn't mean it will still burn like it should. Gas can deteriorate over time making it much less efficient. Also, condensation from the gas tank can actually form pools of water & be sucked up into the fuel lines. WATER = NO BURN = NO START. (I bought a 4Runner last fall that sat for 4 years... I know what to expect) Here's some good reads on that:

http://autos.aol.com/article/general...03144909990001

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Tech/Starting.html

There are procedures for starting a car that has been sitting for years... besides the gas, you also need to add some oil / penetrating lube to each cylinder because the cylinder walls / rings can rust over time. It's also important to change the oil, coolant, & plugs.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks again,
The link you gave me was very helpful, I will drain out the old gas soonly. Here what I did, when it ran and died on me, and try to start it up, which failed. Then I looked at the eletrcal system, there seem a black ground wire hanging out that is from the negiave side of of the coil wire system. Do you have any idea where this wire go? I checked if there spark, I used my old ford sparkplug which it still works, plug the spark wire to it and turn over the motor to see if there spark. But no spark. Could it be the black ground wire has to be some where?

Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 PM

Some photos

Some photos, I just want to see if the motor looked ok and the wire that I am holding was the the wire that was hanging out.
Attached Thumbnails New to Datsun-imag0173.jpg   New to Datsun-imag0168.jpg   New to Datsun-imag0167.jpg   New to Datsun-imag0155.jpg  
Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Über User

typing isnt one of your strong sides is it cause your gramer is VERY odd. but yes, i would get that fuel system cleaned out and fuel replaced before going anyfurther.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:23 AM

My bad, I am just tired, it affect my gramar skills. I will be draining out the old gas, and put new gas in, hoping it would start.

Again, any one know how to make the car to pass smog? Is there a kit or as such to pass smog. I want to know this before I really own the car.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
cause your gramer is VERY odd.
It's GRAMMAR. Firefox spell checks as you type... you should try it sometime.

Again, any one know how to make the car to pass smog? Is there a kit or as such to pass smog.
We have quite a few CA guys here... hopefully they will chime in soon w/ some suggestions to make the smog ***** happy.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 AM

I am back to this thread, don't these 280z have power steering? I am ready to take this car off of this guy's place, and notice the different feel of the steering between my 1968 thunderbird and this datsun. The datsun is more stiff, and I saw fluid in the power steering tank. When I started the car, there no different on the steering as it was off.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:42 AM

Also don't these z cars don't smoke alot? Mine was smoking like hell when I rev it up. This car is still at the previous owner place and it smoking his house up like a cigar.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:23 AM
The Good Twin

Also don't these z cars don't smoke alot?
No... the Z car (just like any other car) should NOT smoke a lot.

Mine was smoking like hell when I rev it up.
What color smoke?

blue = burning oil
white = burning coolant
black = running too rich
Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Über User

yes what color smoke? and NO car should EVER smoke unless there is some bad news. also, no, the 1969-1979 i believe never had power steering. so idk what tank you were looking at but it sure as hell wasnt the power steering fluid tankd what ever that is. did you see a power steering pump? nooo.... so thats your first clue. the second is that there are no lines going to the steering rack, only a steering shaft from the column/steering wheel
Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM

The color smoke is light gray, now I have no idea how to tune a fuel injected car, any tips? I see it has a big round flat cylinder right next to the steering metal bar, that is a power steering pump right? I see it has fluid but no power?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
The Good Twin

now I have no idea how to tune a fuel injected car, any tips?
< cough ... cough >

Originally Posted by NismoPick
#1... Buy a Haynes manual. They are very useful & all the basic maintenance & repair info is found there.
Or you can download the FSM from carfiche.com or xenons130.com.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM

< cough ... cough >

Or you can download the FSM from carfiche.com or xenons130.com.
\

Oh my bad NismoPick, just bored here trying to gather information. I did took a look at the site and saw the polishing value covers, and been wondering is it safe to remove a value cover from this car. I know it is safe to do it as long you don't run the motor, but it is it? My value cover is ugly as hell.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
The Good Twin

While you're bored... download the manual. And yes, it's "safe" to remove the valve cover, BUT the gasket will likely crack or break... make sure your local parts store has one in stock before removing it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 PM

While you're bored... download the manual. And yes, it's "safe" to remove the valve cover, BUT the gasket will likely crack or break... make sure your local parts store has one in stock before removing it.
Yeah, I looked for one and they have it, YEAH! I am waiting for that site to have that manual ready
Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 PM
The Good Twin

I see it has a big round flat cylinder right next to the steering metal bar, that is a power steering pump right? I see it has fluid but no power?
This is the power steering pump & reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails New to Datsun-ps-pump.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM

This is the power steering pump & reservoir.
Dang nice motor. My car dose not have that, but I never had a car without powersteering, will it be fine with out powersteering?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
The Good Twin

but I never had a car without powersteering, will it be fine with out powersteering?
Most S30's did not have the power steering option, but they do have a quicker ratio steering rack to make up for it. Don't worry about not having PS... most people remove it & go w/ the manual rack to "upgrade" their car.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 PM

Most S30's did not have the power steering option, but they do have a quicker ratio steering rack to make up for it. Don't worry about not having PS... most people remove it & go w/ the manual rack to "upgrade" their car.
Alright, I did not know that. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Über User

was there ever an S30 with power steering? i never heard of one. yet you say most....
Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
yet you say most....
I said most DID NOT.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Über User

yeah. exactly, implying thats some DID. duesch. now splain yourself

Quick Reply: New to Datsun