240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Need advice....running rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:19 PM

Need advice....running rich

Ok...did an oil change, new filter and fuel filter the other day. Today I got my new MAFS in and the car is running much better...BUT, it seems to be running rich, and inbetween shifts, she poots out a small amount of blueish smoke.

Idle is roughly at 700-900rpms, and is fairly even.

Do I need to adjust it and if so....how?

What would the puffs of smoke indicate in between shifts?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 AM
The Evil Twin

A small amount like what you mentioned could just be from a bad oxygen sensor. Another item that affects richness is your fuel pressure regulator.
If your AFM is new, rebuilt or unopened at least, then it should not need adjustment. Leave that as a last resort.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:15 PM

Sounds like your sucking a little oil through the valve seals.
Does it smoke blue in the morning when the engine is cold?

Thinking about it, if someone pushes me hard I turn blue too, maybe its just old like me.

You might luck out and find you only need the valves adjusted for the engine to breathe properly.

Don't forget that the L28 is a great engine, but it is a antique. I don't push mine before its fully warmed up and then only for cruising down the interstate.

The Z was never designed to be driven like a American POS, thats why the horse power is lower, but it handles and the torque it developes is great for rallies and gymkanas.

The 76 models don't have an oxygen sensor.

Last edited by Z*Tech; 05-18-2004 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Oxygen sensor
Old 04-26-2005, 11:28 PM

Hi I agree with Z*Tech, it sounds more like an oil issue, but to confirm this pull your spark plugs see if they are black, this would indicate that it is running rich.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 AM

You'll only have an O2 sensor on certain California models. Not sure if they had 'em as early as '76 or not. Fed model S30's never had them.
You mentioned a new mass air flow meter/sensor, too. Chances are the bypass screw was just set at whatever at rebuild time and you'll have to adjust it. Here in Colorado, you absolutely have to readjust it when you get here (again, only the California model had an altitude switch) or you're running way rich and will fail emissions, not to mention the car won't run well. Check your manual to get it exactly right, but if I remember correctly, loosening the screw in the little round hole on the side of the meter, down low under the serious metering parts should lean it out. a 1/4 or 1/2 turn means a lot, so don't do a whole bunch. It's also way easier to tune if you have a CO sensor, but that's a lot of money last time I checked.
I agree with the others about the smoking, that sure sounds like a different, oil-burning-related problem.
good luck,
Dave