240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

i need help fixing electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM

i need help fixing electrical issues

I have a 1977 280z 2+2. I have had the car for two years and it has never ran. The owners before me had it for 10 years and i'm pretty sure is hasn't ran for those 10 years either. I've checked fuel, spark, air, everything i can think of. For an unknown reason i was bored the other day and tried starting the car for fun. What do ya know it started up and runs fine! It does it at random however. I pulled it into my garage to work on it some and now i can't get it started again to leave my garage. All i can think of is an electrical issue. My dash lights and headlights work when they feel like it also. So i'm thinking something in my ignition possibly? Any suggestions at all will help. I can provide more info if needed to. Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Pr0n Addict

definitely connection problems. so you just need to learn how to clean connections very well and do it to every connector you can find. you have to use a cleaner like tar-nex (yeah it's a jewlery cleaner. lots of people recommend it though), and scrub the connections with a tooth brush or scrape them with a pick and make sure they are squeezing the terminals tightly. do it to every connection you can find.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM

I figured it'd come down to cleaning the connections. Thanks. I also wanted to ask if anyone could help me identify a part of my fuel lines. It kinda looks like a fuel pressure regulater. It's bolted to the same support my in line fuel pump is back by the fuel tank. The i'm guessing adjustment bolt on top is leaking fuel out of it. Can i just take is out and bypass it or find a new one of whatever that thing is called?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by icebox2846
I figured it'd come down to cleaning the connections. Thanks. I also wanted to ask if anyone could help me identify a part of my fuel lines. It kinda looks like a fuel pressure regulater. It's bolted to the same support my in line fuel pump is back by the fuel tank. The i'm guessing adjustment bolt on top is leaking fuel out of it. Can i just take is out and bypass it or find a new one of whatever that thing is called?
It sounds like maybe you're describing the fuel damper. But, double check in the FSM, available from car-fiche or xenon's site (quick search will find the link around here somewhere), if you don't already have it. Anyway, that's not a good idea to bypass/remove. Unfortunately, it might be about $100 if that is the part you're looking for:
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SFC02
I don't know why they're calling it a fuel "dampener". Who wants water in their gasoline?
cheers,
Dave
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 AM

so i spent 6 hours yesterday cleaning every connector i could find. relays, fusible links, everything. didn't seem to change a thing. I'm about ready to give up unless someone else has any other ideas to what is going on with the the electrical. Thanks for link to the fuel dampener. that looks like what i took out.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 AM
I have a present for you...

I think the fuel damper keeps the hydraulic action of the fuel pump on/off cycle in check. If you can be more specific on the problems it would be easier for us to help you. The engine harness is seperate from the chassis harness. starting, turning over or lights are seperate issues.