240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

headache..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM

headache..

I drove my 76 just a short distance over the past weekend, and I got a headache from it.... It's sad, I want to drive it so badly, but can't. I may just have to sell it. I guess I'll just check over my seals again one more time. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. this car is just sitting in the garage now, while I have to drive a 84 300sd mercedes with 300,000 miles on it! It's soooooo slow! LOL at least I have something else though.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 PM
The Good Twin

I thought you got it fixed??? You had said something about the fuel injectors sticking...

Which you could have continued this in your old thread so we could read what you had previously done.

So...

Are there any exhaust leaks? (blown / leaking / corroded gaskets, or rust holes in the pipe).
Is a cat installed on the car?
Does the car currently pass emissions?
Does it run good?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 PM

I know I should have kept it going with the other post. so the answers are no, no, yes, and great. I'm going to check again that back seal. I haven't given one last paper test. Now the latch on the hatch has been modified so that the hatch back is down super tight. but maybe just maybe there is a spot where it's not perfect. I never gave it the final paper test after that dumb *&#% mechanic had it. I just stormed out! It's trippy because my z is in really good shape compared to alot I see! and it's been in the garage all the time!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM

I am going to do the paper test tonight, and take a picture of my new injector connectors. I don't know why I'm so hedache sensitive. I can't smell anything anymore.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Über User

here is another idea, get a can of sea foam ok? then unplug a vacume line and have it start sucking in the seafoam a fair amount lik a 1/4 of it and plug the vac lin back in, then rev up the engine it should start smoking like a bitch! this will tell you if you have any exhaust leaks, get a flash light and look for the white smoke, if you only see it coming out the tail pipe, then it MIGHT be a rear seal though i doubt it if the thing doesnt leak in the rain. do this and let us know whats up ok.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Okay, first tonight I am going to do the paper test. I did leak in the rain before this seal.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Über User

oh and did you know you can adjust the hatch latch up and down? if yours isnt low enough (where it mounts to the body) then it wont pull down on the hatch hard enough to make a good seal on the rubber stripping so you can try adjusting that down to.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:27 PM

I did that and even made it do it will be tighter than normal by drilling the holes longer on the hook! I feel like I just can't give up!! there is something causing it!! lol maybe there is some tiny exhaust leak... maybe a smoke machine will find it, or is that what the sea foam is for?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
The Good Twin

Install a catalytic converter...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Über User

thats what the sea foam is for it will come out as a THICK white smoke at any leaks. oh and EVERY s30 ive owned has a slight exhaust smell in it, maybe your just a sissy
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 AM

:-) I could be a sissy! but I wasn't always a sissy! I checked the seal on my hatch, and it's super tight. I think between all the printing fumes at work, and the car the way it was, might have made me sensitive for headaches... I don't know. The car doesn't stink anymore though, and I am away from the chems where I work. So... maybe there is another exhaust leak. I'll try this foam stuff out. From the work that has been done on the car, it really is getting tons better. I mean now I really don't smell it. I just need to know what vacuum line should I use?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by z_lis
I drove my 76 just a short distance over the past weekend, and I got a headache from it....

The car doesn't stink anymore though,

I mean now I really don't smell it.
So I don't understand. The car doesn't stink anymore, you can't smell exhaust, but you still get headaches? Are you sure this is an exhaust problem? Have you thought about testing the interior for CO ?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 AM

yes I have thought about it, but how do I do it?
no I'm not sure about the exhaust. the exhaust dude says there is no leak. he checked it 2 times with a stethescope, and fixed what needed fixing. I really don't know anymore, and I'm not making it up on the headache thing. (some people have said to me that it's just in my head! urg. It's not) I don't want to give up on the car... I thought about trying to find someone with a smoke machine, but I don't know anyone, or what to do with one!