240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

restoration headache.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Über User

restoration headache.

wow... so i started restoring my 260z and man am i hella pissed at the guy prior to me... we left about 5 connectors on the wiring harness.. labeled about 8 wires... everything else is cut... has no home or cut to short...
any one have a really good like diagram of a november and pre 74 260z engine bay. or better yet... a wiring harness for one? i dont even see the wire that goes to the positive battery terminal... ok well i do cuase its in my hand but i dont even see where it goes. nor do i think i have the voltage regulator. advice? hints? tips? diagrams? wiring harnesses??? HELP?!?!?!
thanks

p.s. as beautiful as this car is and the great shape its in... man did he **** up the electrical system...
Old 11-29-2006, 04:07 PM
No Club Love

oh boo hoo, its an older car things happen, duh. What you didn't look it over before you bought it. no i've got nothing for you though. jfairlady posted a link the other day, on a maneul for some cars, it might be there.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Schematic(.gif)
wiring layouts(pdf)

Those are both for the early 260z's. I'm currently working on making a full color schematic. But it's kind of slow in coming along. I've gotten about half way done but haven't really messed with it for a little while now. I'll let you know when I get it done and I'll post up a copy.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:12 PM
No Club Love

wow that was fast. see j's always on top of it
Old 11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Über User

thanks... yeah after looking at it... he cut off sooo many connectors... and hopefully when i strat putting the accessories on the block and head (carbs and what not) i can figure out wehre some more wires go. cause it doesnt show pics of what it plugs into... its a start though... man.. i sure would rather have a new engine bay harness thats actually still loomed together and wtih all the connectors.. i cant believe he did that.. well. i can because he was doing a 350 swap. so that might be why. but damn.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
No Club Love

yup, thats why i haven't cut off any of my connections, yet. when i do my motor swap i'm going to clean up all the unused things. why don't you do a mea squirt kit or something, that'd be alot less frustration
Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Not Only Is J On Top Of It Hes The Sheet When It Comes To These
Old 11-29-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
thanks... yeah after looking at it... he cut off sooo many connectors... and hopefully when i strat putting the accessories on the block and head (carbs and what not) i can figure out wehre some more wires go. cause it doesnt show pics of what it plugs into... its a start though... man.. i sure would rather have a new engine bay harness thats actually still loomed together and wtih all the connectors.. i cant believe he did that.. well. i can because he was doing a 350 swap. so that might be why. but damn.
I have a slightly modified harness you can have. It's only the engine compartment harness though (its uncut though and will plug right in to your dash harness). I still need the dash harness, as well as the taillamp harness. By modified I removed some of the extra miscellaneous wiring. I eliminated any wiring related to the A/C. I also removed the emissions related wiring such as the EGR relay, etc... Also, I was planning on upgrading to a ZX distributor and alternator so I removed wires that weren't needed in upgrading to those components. You can find ZX dizzy's for dirt cheap and an alternator is cheap. I still have the voltage regulator though if you want the harness and want to retain the 260's alternator. Let me know. Oh, and I remember that one of the connectors fell off of my harness, but I dont remember what it went to anymore. It was a single spade type connector

Anyways, I dont need the harness anymore because I plan to upgrade the headlighting and the engine harness is completely useless with the engine I'm going with. If you want I can take a pic of harness and label all the connectors for you to see exactly what it is I have.

EDIT: And I've got a pair of round top SU's I'm going to be selling too
Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Über User

OMG J THATS PERFECT
im not using my EGR or AC all i need is for the engine.. my lights are all hooked up everything is hooked up... i just need **** for engine electrical. alternator starter coil distributer that junk... basically only the stuff it needs in order to run...
Old 11-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Über User

oh and i do want to use my alternator so if you got teh voltage regulator that would be great cause... i dont seem to have one... and selling the round tops huh.... well if you sell them a couple months from now i may be interested... can i just upgrade to a ZX distributor? is it straight up plug in? cause that would be great to eliminate teh vacume advanced one.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM

The ZX dizzy upgrade is an easy upgrade. It's pretty much just some minor wiring work. Here's a link to the swap: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...tor/index.html

I'll have the SU's for a while so let me know if you're interested at any point.

I'll dig out the harness and snap a couple pics of it for you and post em up.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Über User

if i do get interested in teh SU's it wont be fore a few months.. unless mine turn out to be junk. pics would be great... and that dizzy swap i was golden on until the electrical part... i got confusted then.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Ok I took a few pics of my harness. I labeled all the connectors in the pic. After looking the harness over you'd pretty much have to go with a ZX alternator. The wiring for the Voltage regulator is either already removed or the wires that I ended up keeping have already been spliced together. On the alternator swap: with this harness it is a Plug and Play deal. No wiring or modification neccessary. Just pick up a ZX alternator, put in the car and plug in the harness.

On the dizzy: There are two wires going to the plug I have left on the harness. One goes straight to the coil's - post. The other goes to the coil's + terminal. There is also a plug for a condensor (you can use your existing one or get one off of a ZX. Now all that wiring is already done on this harness. The only wiring you'll need to do is running the L wire from the ZX's IM to the - Post of the coil and the Br wire from the ZX's IM to the + post of the coil. Thats it. You run those two wires from the IM and run the existing two 260 harness wires to the coil as well.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...g?t=1164860567

If you can make out the text them PM me your email address and I'll send it to you fullsize.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Über User

couldnt make out the lettering in the pic. looks like a good harness. i can pick up a zx alternator.. and you say its set up for the ZX dizzy if i wanted jsut follow what you typed?
email me at sky_viper6868@yahoo.com

also here are pics of my sweet *** wiring harness and engine bay passenger side to see the things im missing

and whats this little guy???

oh btw im like dislexic when it comes to instructions.. i dont do well with words i do well with pics and words... so that dizzy thing... i might get might not get it... ill let you know if i understand it when the time comes.
thanks J you have saved my life... literally.. i literally think my dad woulda killed me if he found out my harness is ssshhhiiiittt
Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 PM

wow, looks like he cleaned you out

But yeah, if you end up needing any help with the dizzy swap let me know and I'll help you out. I can make you up a diagram and email it to you.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Über User

im bringin my thread back from the dead for my new up date... got the zx motor and tranny in... heres a picture process of how my saturday and sunday were spent

260 motor pulled

various parts and hood needed removing from the ZX

our hood collection continued

and vuwala... no more engine

Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Über User

theres the engine!!! and tranny attatched

time for a new home! there ya go boy

more pictures to come when i get the turbo parts thrown in there... im gonna be so proud to say im the only active Zdriver member with a turbo early 260Z... GO ME!!!! lol

oh and this is for the s130 guys... theres this part on the passenger side of the engine bay near the canister with a couple electical connecter to it and a bunch of vacumme lines to it and som that run into the fire wall... WTF is it? heres a pic
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM

Lol the first picture looks like a junkyard just puked on your engine bay Awesome progress, hopefully I'll be able to do it sometime

Daniel
Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Über User

really aint to hard... start number connecters and where they go in color coded sharpies and masking tape and disconnect.. once its all disconnected hook up engine hoist unbolt the 4 bolts undo the tranny cross memeber and undo the exhaust... or cut it like me haha and start liftin.. it sreally aint to bad.. me n my dad did it in 2 days of work....
Old 01-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Yeah I've been reading up on it a lot and I'm confident that I can do the swap with some time. What gets me is if I had to use an existing motor and throwing a turbo setup on it, a complete motor swap seems much easier. Anyway, glad to see things are going well.

Daniel
Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Taste My Rainbow

thats for the ac/heating system i dont use it on mine
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Über User

is it a vacume control for vent selection or something?