240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Going to go look at new Z this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:36 PM

Going to go look at new Z this weekend

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I owned a 260Z when I was in college (1000 years ago), but I have always wanted another and finally have the money to afford one. I'm going to go look at a 240Z this weekend that has been with the same owner for over 30 years. Could some one give me some advice on items to look for (trouble spots). The description of the car is 98,000 miles, original drive train, never been wrecked, dual Weber carburetors. From the pictures it looks to be in very good condition. Asking price is $8500. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Biggest killer of these cars is rust. I don't know where this car has been but I'm sure you know how rust prone the climate is where you are.

Look underneath, especially the floor pans. Pull up the carpet and check there.

The dog legs behind the doors is another area along with the rocker panels.

Spare tire well is another place as well as the flat surface where the hatch closes (it doesn't drain well).

Lower rear quarter panels too. They don't drain well either.

If you see ANY bubbles in the paint, that's a big clue as to what's underneath.

Hagerty.com has a good valuation tool. Take a look at it before you go so you can get read their description of conditions 1 through 4. You'll have a good idea of what these cars are going for. Heck, take a copy of the description and valuations along with you, it might help you bargain.

Of course you'll drive the car yourself and see how it performs. As you already had a 260Z, you should get a good idea of how it's running.

While you're underneath, take a look a the rubber suspension bits. Ball joints, tie rod covers, half shaft covers in the back and so on. If they're worn, you'll have another bargaining tool.

Check the oil. Is it fresh or is it dirty and smelly? You'll know what to do.

Ask if there are service records too. If there are, that's an indication of a car that's been cared for.

Good luck and please report back! Photos would be great.