240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Help Bleeding Brakes on 1972 240z

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:54 PM

Question Help Bleeding Brakes on 1972 240z

Hey ya'll!

As the title implies, I need help bleeding my brakes on my new (to me) '72 Datsun 240z. This is the first time I have ever bled brakes before, so this is all relatively new to me. The guy I bought it from was really helpful in giving me the steps I needed to take in order to bleed the brakes. Originally, he thought that the master cylinder needed to be replaced, but he thought it wouldn't hurt to try to bleed the brakes first just to make sure that was the problem.

So here's what I did. I removed all four wheels, filled up the brake fluid reservoirs (both of them) with new brake fluid, kept the caps off, attached a hose to the master cylinder right side nipple with the other end in the bottle with fluid, had my brother pump the brakes, cracked open the bleeder, but no fluid came through the line. I left the bleeder open while he pumped the brakes, but still nothing. Then I moved to the left side nipple with the same luck. So then I went down to the driver's side brake pad and found the speed bleeder. Followed the same procedure, but no fluid there either. Moved to passenger's side and again no fluid.

So with that being said, does it look to ya'll that I need a new master cylinder?

Also, as a side note, the manual says when bleeding to work from the furthest point from the master cylinder toward the closest point to it. That would mean starting at the passenger side rear, moving to driver side rear, passenger side front, then finally driver side front. However, I only have brakes on the front tires. Is this normal? Or am I just such a newbie that I don't know that there are some sort of disguised brakes in the back?

I appreciate the help and clarification.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

here is a u tube vid. google bleeding brakes ton of info on line. you may have bleed the master cylinder first. you do have brakes in the rear. you better do some studying on cars in general or find a knowledgeable buddy. you didn't bother to state your location. there may be a zcar club in your area. members usually will help a noobie (especially you got beer)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the input rogerz! I cannot seem to find the link to the youtube video you mentioned.

Also, how do I add my location to the thread?

Since I am relatively new to the car restoration scene, I thought I would utilize this community of information here to get some help instead of searching endlessly online. I am not afraid to look at manuals, but this seems like the best place to find out that kind of information.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

try that. go to cp and fill in the blanks for info. put your car in your signature and you don't have to splain it every time.

check your post on zcar.com good info there also.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 PM

Speed bleeders work good also for one man brake bleeding. They install on the caliper or wheel cylinder in place of your stock bleeder screws.

https://zcardepot.com/tools/speed-bl...=speed+bleeder