Other Cars Discuss any info on other vehicles in here.

TOYOTA's nail in the coffin

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

TOYOTA's nail in the coffin

And it happens yet again . .they were doing so good for so many years. Looks like its a wrap for the once mighty car manufacturer.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/18523002
Old 03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Über User

how don't people think to stick their cars in neutral and then use the brakes or e-brake! or even turn off the motor and do so... it isn't rocket science! turn off the ignition (tho if push button i see the possible issue) but jesus...

don't get me wrong, this is a HUGE issue, but people not knowing how to take action other than pull up on the pedal is just retarded...

also, this has been talk for sooooo long. and yeah toyota is gonna lose their spot, and IMHO nissan and honda will be competing for top spot haha. At least as far as japanese manufacturers go. and Hyundai is blowing up huge, hopefully they don't have a toyota disaster where they start producing crap so fast and issue like this happens. and fly by wire has been around for so long, how do they get it wrong. must have been doing something shady or wrong.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 AM
The Good Twin

I saw that on my local news this morning (I can't see that vid at work right now).

Supposedly he was able to get it down to 50mph then turn off the car?! Why the crap didn't he shut down the motor as soon as he realized that the accelerator was stuck?!

I dunno how people make this problem so bad...

OOOOHHHH!!! My car is out of control! It just keeps going faster! AHHHH!!!! I don't want to turn off the car and stop listening to this cool song though.....

EDIT... Snw beat me to it.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
The Good Twin

I just watched the CNN report on youtube. The driver James Sikes says there wasn't anywhere safe to go if he turned off the car...

der... maybe the emergency lane?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Über User

i win!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Of course all these drivers have made it worse by a lacking common sense that would tell most people to use obvious solutions but the masses are not as smart as they like to think. Toyota is F'd . . .
Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Yeah a meriKA!

I want to know how he was able to pull up on the pedal while doing 90mph. I hope he gets a ticket.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 AM
eff good grammar

this seems faked to me. like the tv station payed off the guy to make things look worse.

not saying it doesent happen it just seems like that article i read on jalopnik, every ones out to get toyota while they are trying to fix the problem.
well it was linked from jalopnik:
http://gawker.com/5486666/how-abc-ne...ota-death-ride

not to mension i dont think they realize if they keep pushing and sales srop far enough alot of AMERICANS are going to be out of a job when they start closing factories

i frankly wouldnt buy a toyota, too plain but this is a media field day and they out to kill the company for what reason. there have been major recalls in the US with the big 3, none of them got this out of hand.

remember the firestone/explorer thing, they grilled ford for buying tires basicly and it was out of controll but its not nearly as bad as this is
Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
remember the firestone/explorer thing, they grilled ford for buying tires basicly and it was out of controll but its not nearly as bad as this is
...in the end, wasn't it the dealerships putting too low of tire pressure in their tires to give them more traction? Then the low pressure heated up the sidewalls and some would blow out. SUVs are harder to control and more likely to roll with a high speed tire blowout. Buy CARS people, not big trucks and SUVs. NismoPick blows out tires at 190mph all the time in his BMW and look at him! Alive as ever!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
not to mension i dont think they realize if they keep pushing and sales srop far enough alot of AMERICANS are going to be out of a job when they start closing factories

Closing factories like they already have been for a while now? The Toyota/Ford manufacturing plant, NUMI, here in the bay area will be shutting is doors this month. They had a joint op with Ford but Toyota pulled out a while back while ford wanted to stay. Crucial. . .

Firestone had employed scabs during the period those particular tires were manufactured and Ford knew of defects as a direct result of this but still installed them. Fords fault or Firestone? Or the Dealership for not heeding the inflation warning?

Bottom line is consumers are dumb more often than not. Dumb as hell actually. Cant make a product that kills/hurts/maims everyone that doesnt have common sense to care for there own lives. It'll always come back to the manufacturer. Nobody wants accountability. To easy to sue here. So just stick it to the person providing the product. . . .Gotta love it
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
The Evil Twin

Prius needs stronger brakes! fo sho'
Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by apollo
Closing factories like they already have been for a while now? The Toyota/Ford manufacturing plant, NUMI, here in the bay area will be shutting is doors this month. They had a joint op with Ford but Toyota pulled out a while back while ford wanted to stay. Crucial. . .

Firestone had employed scabs during the period those particular tires were manufactured and Ford knew of defects as a direct result of this but still installed them. Fords fault or Firestone? Or the Dealership for not heeding the inflation warning?

Bottom line is consumers are dumb more often than not. Dumb as hell actually. Cant make a product that kills/hurts/maims everyone that doesnt have common sense to care for there own lives. It'll always come back to the manufacturer. Nobody wants accountability. To easy to sue here. So just stick it to the person providing the product. . . .Gotta love it
i'd like to see the "toyota ford" joint venture plant. i have a feeling its just ford
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Here you go . . my bad, not Ford/Toyota, but GM/Toyota

http://www.nummi.com/
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 PM
eff good grammar

oh the 25 year old plant away from any real parts resources. doesent really play a role in this at all
Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

doesnt play a role in this at all. . .

mcfly, McfLY!! . .ANYBODY IN THERE, MCFLY?!