Other Cars Discuss any info on other vehicles in here.

Paper to write. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Opinionated

Paper to write. PLEASE HELP

I have a chemistry paper that i need to start looking into for.
I'm interested in writing a paper about the chemistry of a Non-turbo vs. Turbo engine and how Nitrous effects the performance. (Keep in mind, its all about the CHEMISTRY)

If anyone can give me link (preferably) that i can use as a source, or any second hand information that i could use id really appreciate it.

I have about 700-1000 words to write the essay
Old 12-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Über User

ouch...im wrting an 8-10 page research paper in english on the turbo charger against the supercharger...so i know where ur at
Old 12-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Bad Speller

AHHHH HA!!!! well I got a chemistry Final on Firday so horray this sucks.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Ruined By Spudz

I'm doing a 7-10 page research paper on a book of our choice. Dam Fahrenheit 451, lol I wish I could do turbocharger versus supercharger and just confuse the **** out of my fat *** Jabba the Hutt impersonating English teacher.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:32 PM
confuzed member

I think I got you all beat....turned in a 10 pg paper on the Bush Doctrine today, need to study for a foreign relations final on thurs, need to write a 10 pg paper on Deliberative democracy and a short 5 pg on Rorty's democratic theory. This is not including the presentation on the bush's admin. with the EU, the presentation on Guttman and Thompson's view of deliberative democracy, and the policy memo on the patriot act. The dozen or so informative abstracts that I needed to do for two classes or the short paper (5 pgs) i needed to write on multiculturalism. this was all in the last week. Don't get me started about this whole semester. upper division is nuts!
sorry, can't help with your paper.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

on last thursday after i got off work at 11pm i researched and wrote my entire paper on the space race. that tuesday i put together a 20 minute presentation on the paper that i hadnt even started, and it was supposed to be a group paper, but my group dropped the class and i had to do it myself. i feel your pain.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 AM
Opinionated

im not to worried about the paper actually im looking forward to doing it. I just need some sources online about the chemistry of engines and the such.

Anyone have any ideas?

I need the chemical formulas for Gasoline, Oil, and radiator fluid, and how they react in the engine, and how the air and fuel mix allows it to combust, and how a turbo engine differs from a N/A
Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Über User

those are all hydro carbons....they are really simple shemical compounds, unfortunatly i forgot all them...do a search on gasoline oil chemical compounds and include the word hydrocarbon.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
those are all hydro carbons....they are really simple shemical compounds, unfortunatly i forgot all them...do a search on gasoline oil chemical compounds and include the word hydrocarbon.
Thank you.

Does anyone else have any sites that i can use as sources on how engines(N/A and Turbo) work?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 PM

A very limited list, but some good starting points:
Here's a good one for the chemistry of the combustion of gasoline (a mixture of hundreds of different hydrocarbons which we usually think of as "averaging" like Octane, C8H18):
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...4809.Ch.r.html
and it has *excellent* links to the How Stuff Works page(s) and the Chemical Engineering Student Resources Page, which are all awesome references.
For a good example of figuring out the stoichiometery of blended hydrocarbon combustion, check this out: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03494.htm
Similarly, motor oil is not just a single compound, but an extremely complex blend, especially if you're talking about a modern multi weight and all the nice additives. Here's a good read on that: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
There are a lot of good links on that page, too, including to the granddaddy of all petro-info, the API (American Petroleum Institute).
Given the oil itself isn't involved in the combustion chemistry, you may not have to worry about it too much in your paper. Same deal with the coolant (water plus either Ethylene Glycol (old school) or Propylene Glycol (new wave)).
From the stoichiometry( ratio of 12.5:1 air to Octane), you'll see that the story really does boil down to "Air is the limiting factor, so we're really talking about how to maximize quantity of O2 in the combustion chamber". That's where you'll be working with air density increases by pumping air in (turbo and superchargers), or by cooling the air (intercoolers, cold air intakes), or just plain adding an O2 source (nitrous oxide, N2O).
The whole point is to get 2 equations best optimized for your needs:
2C8H18 + 25O2 = 16CO2 + 18H2O
and of course, the good 'ole ideal gas law: PV = nRT
And you can likely fill in gaps with a quick search on: http://www.psigate.ac.uk/roads/cgi-b...engine&limit=0
Just be careful of your sources. A good paper isn't going to use an un-vetted source like wikipedia or even some of the ones I've listed above (hey, they're just starting points...). But those sources are more easily found and read, and once you know the specific piece of info you want to cite, it'll be easier to find it on any decent university site, or the API site, or through www.google.com/scholar
Have fun, that should be a really cool paper!
Dave
Old 12-14-2005, 05:55 PM

I think you should try howstuffworks.com ,preferably this page : http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question259.htm
They also have more info on how turbochargers work,and superchargers also.
Gl with your paper,I know they can be a drag.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
A very limited list, but some good starting points:
Here's a good one for the chemistry of the combustion of gasoline (a mixture of hundreds of different hydrocarbons which we usually think of as "averaging" like Octane, C8H18):
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...4809.Ch.r.html
and it has *excellent* links to the How Stuff Works page(s) and the Chemical Engineering Student Resources Page, which are all awesome references.
For a good example of figuring out the stoichiometery of blended hydrocarbon combustion, check this out: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03494.htm
Similarly, motor oil is not just a single compound, but an extremely complex blend, especially if you're talking about a modern multi weight and all the nice additives. Here's a good read on that: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
There are a lot of good links on that page, too, including to the granddaddy of all petro-info, the API (American Petroleum Institute).
Given the oil itself isn't involved in the combustion chemistry, you may not have to worry about it too much in your paper. Same deal with the coolant (water plus either Ethylene Glycol (old school) or Propylene Glycol (new wave)).
From the stoichiometry( ratio of 12.5:1 air to Octane), you'll see that the story really does boil down to "Air is the limiting factor, so we're really talking about how to maximize quantity of O2 in the combustion chamber". That's where you'll be working with air density increases by pumping air in (turbo and superchargers), or by cooling the air (intercoolers, cold air intakes), or just plain adding an O2 source (nitrous oxide, N2O).
The whole point is to get 2 equations best optimized for your needs:
2C8H18 + 25O2 = 16CO2 + 18H2O
and of course, the good 'ole ideal gas law: PV = nRT
And you can likely fill in gaps with a quick search on: http://www.psigate.ac.uk/roads/cgi-b...engine&limit=0
Just be careful of your sources. A good paper isn't going to use an un-vetted source like wikipedia or even some of the ones I've listed above (hey, they're just starting points...). But those sources are more easily found and read, and once you know the specific piece of info you want to cite, it'll be easier to find it on any decent university site, or the API site, or through www.google.com/scholar
Have fun, that should be a really cool paper!
Dave
Thank you for your assistance, those were some nice sites to start learning from. i appreciate your help. (I think now after actually reading some of this stuff) that this paper will be a challenge, as i write it ill post it on the forums for you guys to read and help me with (i would really appreciate that). Again thank you for your input
Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Über User

hydrocarbons are super easy to learn...hydrogen and carbon compounds pentane octane hexane methane....all that you can catch onto those real easy.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:03 PM

WOW, you guys lost me after the first sentence. You guys all seem realy smart. Good luck with your papers. I am very proud to say I graduated from 1 of the worst school systems in the country. Las Vegas, our schools are all ways at the bottom or right next to it
Old 12-15-2005, 09:15 AM

Happy to help! The hardest part of the paper may be clearly defining the scope of your topic and sticking to it. There are so many cool illustrations of chemistry and physics going on in even the simplest car that you could easily write forever. 700 -1000 words puts you in the 4-page range. And on a topic you like, that fills up really quickly (if it's a topic you dislike, though, it of course can drag on for what seems like forever).

Your approach of focusing on intake/induction/combustion differences is a good way to avoid having too broad of a topic, though. Even the simplest hydrocarbon can be a grad school career in itself, and (for me at least...) this stuff is so interesting that it's easy to go on and on. Looking at some of my posts, I'm sure many of you here could rightly argue that I already do go on and on...

When's the paper due? I'm happy to keep checking in on the thread but I'll be out of communication around Christmas. There are a lot of very nice, helpful, intelligent people on this site, so I'm sure you'll have some great assistance here. Personally, I'm a geologist, but that means having to be an at least decent chemist amongst other things (not much happens in geology without chemistry, physics, and math).
good luck,
Dave
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Vegaz
WOW, you guys lost me after the first sentence. You guys all seem realy smart. Good luck with your papers. I am very proud to say I graduated from 1 of the worst school systems in the country. Las Vegas, our schools are all ways at the bottom or right next to it
Just be happy you didn't have to go to school in Mission, SD. I lived out there for a couple years (didn't go to school there, I had already graduated) and the average age of a highschool senior there is in his 20's. There are even sophmores approaching the golden age of the big 2-0. Students can drop out and return at their leasure and start right back where they left off. You don't advance your grade level until you've reached a certain amount of credits and most of their students take a couple of years per grade level. Now mind you they do have some excellent teachers and they do graduate some bright kids. But the teachers cant teach the kids who arent there, only the ones that want to be there. My mother in law worked there for several years before she finally lost it and had to get out. If you're not looking for an education then Mission, SD is the place for you. Oh and the reason it's such a shitty school is because it's on a reservation and the state or government can't step in and tell them to step it up. The whole town is that way.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
Happy to help! The hardest part of the paper may be clearly defining the scope of your topic and sticking to it. There are so many cool illustrations of chemistry and physics going on in even the simplest car that you could easily write forever. 700 -1000 words puts you in the 4-page range. And on a topic you like, that fills up really quickly (if it's a topic you dislike, though, it of course can drag on for what seems like forever).

Your approach of focusing on intake/induction/combustion differences is a good way to avoid having too broad of a topic, though. Even the simplest hydrocarbon can be a grad school career in itself, and (for me at least...) this stuff is so interesting that it's easy to go on and on. Looking at some of my posts, I'm sure many of you here could rightly argue that I already do go on and on...

When's the paper due? I'm happy to keep checking in on the thread but I'll be out of communication around Christmas. There are a lot of very nice, helpful, intelligent people on this site, so I'm sure you'll have some great assistance here. Personally, I'm a geologist, but that means having to be an at least decent chemist amongst other things (not much happens in geology without chemistry, physics, and math).
good luck,
Dave
my paper is due with a rough draft on January 13th, and i think its DUE on the 21st or something like that. I plan on getting sources over winter break and starting to write once school goes back (around January 2nd or 3rd.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Opinionated

Alright guys, my rough draft is due next Thursday, time to start this thing. Ill be updating soon with what im writing.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Opinionated

Edit**

alright well this is what i have so far but im not FAR off from the minimum of 700 words. right now i have just under 600 words. I need to expand more on stuff but im not sure where to even start. This is my essay so far, if you have anything to add, please do so, same with corrections of grammer or see something phrased oddly.

Most of us in today’s day and age have a general idea of the workings of the modern automobile, although most of us lack the knowledge of the chemistry involved in the functioning of an engine.
We all know that cars run on gasoline. What most of us don’t know is that gasoline is a type of Hydrocarbon called an aliphatic hydrocarbon which is a linear chain of carbon atoms. Hydrocarbons are simply chemical compounds containing Hydrogen and Carbon. The Carbon atoms in Hydrocarbons link together in chains varying in size. Smaller chains are lighter while longer chains are heavier. Automobile fuel is derived from crude oil which is found in underground wells accessed by drilling. Of course crude oil is not purely a Hydrocarbon; it’s a blend of hydrocarbon and other mixtures, only being 50-95% Hydrocarbons. The process of distillation is used to separate the crude oil into different kinds of Hydrocarbons. Gasoline, a form of Isooctane, has the chemical composition of somewhere between C6H14 and C12H26 with an average being C8H18. In gasoline it is not 100% sure of what is present. There are many trace elements such as Nitrogen, Sulfur, Nitrogen, and Oxygen, in the composition of gasoline that we can not be certain that gasoline is always C8H18. However the formula C8H18 is a good standard to use when speaking in general terms as we are.
In a perfect reaction in an automobile engine there would be two molecules of octane reacting with twenty-five molecules of Oxygen (represented by O2) to yield 18 molecules of water (H20) and 16 molecules of Carbon Dioxide (CO2). Under normal circumstances in our every day lives there generally is not enough Oxygen being forced into the engine for a full reaction to take place. In this case there are by products to the reaction, usually Carbon Monoxide (CO). Also we must keep in mind the air entering the engine is not pure Oxygen. Air contains mostly of Nitrogen and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). The other trace elements that we mentioned that were contained within the gasoline such as Sulfur to produce pollutants such as SO2.
Fuels have octane ratings which tell you how much fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously combusts. Low octane gas can handle the least amount of pressure before combusting. If the gasoline in your engine ignites before the spark plug lights the fuel this is called knocking which is harmful to the engine. In order for the engine to run properly there must be a proper ratio of gasoline to air in the engine. The ideal ratio is 14.7:1, this ratio is known as stoichiometric, a sate where there is a perfect balance between Oxygen molecules and the molecules of the Hydrocarbon fuel source. This ratio states that for every 14.7 pounds of air there will be 1 pound of gasoline. Although the 14.7:1 ratio is ideal, this ratio is hardly ever achieved under normal driving conditions.
There is a formula that we can follow for the combustion process of the engine and that is: C (n) H (2n+2) + [(3n+1)/2] 02 = (n) CO2 + (n+1) H2O where n is equal to the octane (8)
Speaking in terms of our “perfect” world where our octane level of our fuel is C8H18 and complete total combustion of the fuel takes place, we can use this formula to calculate the amounts of reactant and product in the combustion.

(2)C8H18 + (25) O2 = (16) CO2 + (18) H2O

Last edited by 91Zman; 01-10-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Opinionated

Turned in rough draft today, good stuff.