280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

research paper

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:36 PM

research paper

hey guys i'm doing my senior project research paper and i need sources for it. so basically i was wondering if i could get some answers from some of you and use it as an interview. my paper is on fuel delivery basically which is better andy sorta thing. my opinionis that carburetion is better based on that it is cheaper and you don't have to be a rocket scientists to figure that stuff out..

so heres a couple questions and just put you first and last name if you don't mind meusuing you as a source.

Which system is better...

what are advantages to efi fuel delivery?

What are advantages of carburetion?

Cost effectiveness..

building a high performance vehicle which system would you prefer?
if there is anyhh other information you could get me let me know.. thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:54 PM

I'm not going to get into the advantages right now 'cause I'm really hungry and about to go eat

For high performance I'd take EFI hands down. Why trust your high performance machine to outdated technology? EFI is far more precise then carberation. It has the benefit of mixture feedback to control a/f ratios rather then making an educated guess as to what the engine is going to need. You can precisely tune the amount of fuel injected to each cylinder if you wanted to. Something you cant do will less then individual carburetors to each cylinder (which would more then negate any cost effectiveness carburetion had and it still wouldn't be any more reliable/accurate then EFI). Carburetion cant make self adjustments on the fly for things like changes in altitude and weather.

Alright I'm too hungry to go on right now so I'll let someone else go on about this kind of stuff

Jason Williams
Old 10-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Über User

yeah....why would you argue carbuerators are better.....simpler not even, they are equal in simplicity of FUNCTION.....however they do add more wiring and can inturn creat more electrical complexity and problems...where if there is a fuel delivery with a carb its either not adjusted, needs rebuilt, or a clog somewhere in the furl supply....efi.....it can a 10 different things....thats the ONLY advantage carbs have over efi.....why dont you do what i did and argue how turbochargers are better than superchargers....i wrote 10 pages on that....
Old 10-01-2006, 03:09 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Carburetion is no cheaper than fuel injection at this point and the drawbacks far outweigh any perceived price or simplicity advantages. You can get a fully functional FI system and a stand alone ECU for the price of a Holley 750 double pumper and an intake manifold.

Fully assembled MSnS systems can be had for $350 to $500 and the remaining sensors can be sourced very cheaply in the aftermarket.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Doesn't post much...

Carbs = Ancient technology that is flawed in almost every way.

FI = Superior managebility, far better efficiancy and ease of use.

... and carbs suck.

Rod.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Über User

yeah...have you ever tried starting anything with a carb in the winter.....pah....
Old 10-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
yeah...have you ever tried starting anything with a carb in the winter.....pah....
Thanks guys for all your help i appreciaate it all... and ya i start me truck every morningin the winter and it doesn't have any trouble. than again it is a 4cly and areally little truck. Iknow carbs suck but my point was i'm supposed to argue how theyh are better. but since ther is no information on how their better i guess i'm goingto have to switch sides......
Old 10-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Über User

cars is one thing....some wont some will...anythign else wiht a carb (motorcycle other smaller objexts) good luck...it will a be a little bit
and thats if there cold....
Old 10-02-2006, 12:17 AM

I think the only real advantage of carbs is that they have no ECU that'd be vulnerable to EMP attack. =P
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
NisTuner

The biggest advantage of carbs over efi, is taking cars stock for stock you can tune the carbs on the fly where at least older cars you can't tune the fuel Injection without standalone, but newer cars are generally easy to chip and tune. So that kind of eliminates that advantage.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:28 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

In that case, compare carbs to an SDS or Electramotive EFI setup and the carbs will be cheaper, easier to tune and give you years of reliable service unencumbered by the threat of nuclear or solar generated EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse)!

Originally Posted by flightforlife07
Thanks guys for all your help i appreciaate it all... and ya i start me truck every morningin the winter and it doesn't have any trouble. than again it is a 4cly and areally little truck. Iknow carbs suck but my point was i'm supposed to argue how theyh are better. but since ther is no information on how their better i guess i'm goingto have to switch sides......
Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 PM

Well since I have had some arguments in here about carbs and EFI, I will jump in with my $2.12.

Carbs: Pros

Less electrical wireing,
Can use a mechanical fuel pump,
Use less fuel pressure,
Can be tuned very well with proper knowlege of A/F mixtures and the needs of the engine it is on,
Sound really cool on a high rise intake.

Carbs: Cons

Finicky in cold weather,
Can be a pain to tune without proper knowlege,
Needs rebuilding,
Can be bulky,
Backfires.

EFI: Pros

Very tuneable with minimal effort,
Self monitoring and adjusting to loads,
Better performance,
Better fuel economy,
Readily available replacement parts,
Customizable

EFI: Cons

More wireing,
Sensors,
More fuel pressure required to operate

The EFI is the better way to go...unless you just really like carbs. Both will do the job but EFI will do it better.

Last edited by thxone; 10-02-2006 at 10:39 PM.