Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

Strut spacers

Old 05-25-2003, 11:44 AM

Strut spacers

Hey all,
My car is now sitting about 5 1/2 from the ground measured around the bolt of the lowest point on the front fender . I was wondering if I should be running the 3/4 " strut spacers . Would this help a bit of the understeer problem I have ? Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-26-2003, 12:14 AM

Thanks Randy !!

I am going to cheak everything out on the front end tomorrow . I need to get busy on the car though . We have a two day autocross coming up the end of June.

Did you get any photos of the Mac's GT3 350Z from last weekend ? If you did could you post one to the photo album ?

Thanks,
Mike

BTW... it helps to have a spouse who is a math teacher
Old 05-26-2003, 10:15 AM

Is this the alignment set up you are talking about ?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:23 AM

Hey! Did I mention the copyright I have on that setup? I think you guys are going to have to send me $20 or so to cover my intellectual property!

I basically bootlegged the idea of mounting the strings on the car from the Sherline setup. It makes too much sense. It's especially easy if you get rid of those pesky bumpers.

A few of tricks I learned making this setup are; make two marks 72" apart on the horizontal tubes (or whatever measurement works with your outer track width). This will ensure your strings are parallel. Measure from the vertical center of each hub to the string and move the tubes to get it centered. For measuring toe, since my rims are actually wider than my tires, I place a carpenters framing square against the rim with the short leg on the front tread surface and measure from the string to the inside corner of the square. Then I flip the square to the rear tread surface and measure to the inside corner again. The difference is your toe. Repeat at all four corners. I recommend using a machinist scale to take the measurements or at least something that reads to the 1/32nd". Also, the finer the string the better.

I remember reading in the old book "How to make your car handle", their recommendation for toe measurement... First they suggest you mark a chalk line down the center of your tread and make a square out of plywood and measure with a tape measure at the front and rear of the tire... That kind of reminded me of the old machinist joke of "Measure it with calipers. Mark it with a pencil. Cut it with an axe", or something like that! I think my setup is a little more repeatable.

Tom
Old 05-27-2003, 12:42 PM

I usually use a SmartCamber gauge. I have also used the framing square and measured the angle of the wheel relative to my garage floor (which is very level across the width of the car (I checked it with a water level)). Either way seems to give about the same degree of accuracy.

Tom