The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 11:04 PM

Is this normal?

well, here's one of those true "off topic" posts. I have a younger sister, who is seven years old, and she's the only girl out of 5 kids, including myself. My father wanted a girl, and he finally got one when we adopted her. We've had her since birth, and she doesn't know she's adopted. My father tends to spoil her to the point that I fear it might hinder her development as a person. She's seven years old, and she doesn't clean up after herself, runs around the house naked, still has to be sung to sleep, still talks like a younger child, and pretty much gets away with almost anything. When I mention the fact that my father spoils her to extremes, my father just claims that I was the same way. I know I was spoiled, but I also know that at the age of seven I would bathe/use the bathroom with the door open and cleaned up after myself, while still being able to act my age. Is it normal for her to seem like she's only 4, but yet being seven? I can see that her age is present at times, she does act seven years old, but I find something wrong with a seven year old that still runs around the house naked and needs someone to help them bathe. I've tried to get her to help out around the house, tried to show her how to do things herself, pretty much just tried to help her to act her age, and she shows me total disreguard due to the fact that my father lets her get away with anything she wants. I've given up on helping her out, but my girlfriend Christina tries to lend a hand anytime she comes over. She tries to put herself in a dominant female role, almost like a big sister to her, and it helps out, but it doesn't make my sister act any differently.

What should I do, if anything?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Jack Of All Trades

imho..... let her be the kid she is. Let her be as your parents wish. I've seen this issue a few times.......... Besides kids growing up, parents do alot of growing too while raising kids. If your sister is the last of five, your parents definitely have a different viewpoint on things now than when the oldet was born.

I've too often seen the first born syndrome, the middle child syndrome, and the baby (youngest) syndrome. Mainly, it's not your sisters fault, nor your parents fault. It's just the way things go as the parents get older. It's not like your parents are fixed in time while you're growing up.

One good point my wife made to me after kid #2 was a year or so old........... she'd say, you don't see any ten year olds in diapers.

I know, I rambled...........
Old 06-27-2005, 04:05 PM

what your wife said was true, I'd agree with her there, and that's why I am concerned. I think that by school and such, she'll change her ways and become like the rest of us are and act her age. I just don't want her to end up coming out as a slow child or being made fun of because of the way she is. She's quite overweight, which is really bad for her, and I know she is going to be teased sometime down the road, considering our whole family is thin and fit besides her.

I don't know, I guess I'm just concerned for once.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
what your wife said was true, I'd agree with her there, and that's why I am concerned. I think that by school and such, she'll change her ways and become like the rest of us are and act her age. I just don't want her to end up coming out as a slow child or being made fun of because of the way she is. She's quite overweight, which is really bad for her, and I know she is going to be teased sometime down the road, considering our whole family is thin and fit besides her.

I don't know, I guess I'm just concerned for once.
well being fit and skinny i believe in my case it's in teh genes. lol all of my family is liek nto skinny but not fat. where avarage. but iono. i think being skinny or fat is on teh gennes.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by bardabe
well being fit and skinny i believe in my case it's in teh genes. lol all of my family is liek nto skinny but not fat. where avarage. but iono. i think being skinny or fat is on teh gennes.
it not only has to do with a person's genes, but also with what they eat and the diet they have. My sister pretty much gets anything she wants when it comes to food. I mean, she eats more in one meal than I usually do. She should be moved on from 2 bowls of chocolate cereal in the morning to one bowl and some fresh fruit or something like that.