The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Laptop Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 AM

Alright I have to reveal my secret identity...I work for HP...DOH heehee

i can probably find out some info on the machine for you. I can tell you I'm pretty sure that HP wouldnt keep parts for it anymore...we wouldnt have them here in Oz at least.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
i dont think that 98 supports usb2.0. it has trouble with 1.1.
USB was only introduced in 98 SE, and no it wont support USB 2.0 natively.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 AM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
Keep in mind that if you downgrade your system to Win98 or lower, you may run into some issues with the dvd burner and compatibility. I recommend Win2k myself for a computer that isn't too beefy, but someone wants a somewhat up to date OS. I ran it on my own pc until I finally took the plunge to XP Pro.
Hmmm, ok, I'll keep the Win ME then. It's really not that bad of an OS, but the puter just kept crashing. I finally tweaked it enough to stop the crashes, but it's still slower than molasses. Hopefully, the hardware upgrades will help with that.

Originally Posted by Fast240Z
As for your memory, go to www.pny.com/configurator, follow the prompts, and it will tell you the specs for your machine.
Woo-Hoo! Thanks for that link! I knew there had to be somewhere I could find out my puter's specs.

It says I have a max. capacity of 256 MB and 2 slots, but it has to be installed in a "set of 1". So, what this means is that it'll accept two 128 MB cards? When I right click on My Computer, it says I have 120.0 MB of RAM. I didn't think cards came with 120 - thought 128 was the standard size. Is that right? Do I currently have a 128 MB card?

Also, since I previously thought I could upgrade to 512 MB, but now know my max. is 256 MB, should I just skip the idea of getting a CD/DVD drive and buy a CD-RW instead? I'm afraid the DVD will be so slow that it won't function properly.

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 09-27-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Doesn't post much...

Just kill it... put it out of its misery!!!

Bite the bullet, Shed a tear and move on. Replace it with something that doesn't suck already! You're fighting a losing battle with this one.

Rod.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:39 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Just kill it... put it out of its misery!!!
Bite the bullet, Shed a tear and move on. Replace it with something that doesn't suck already! You're fighting a losing battle with this one.
Rod.
I don't wanna. I'm keeping my dinosaur, and when I'm done upgrading, it'll be awesome ... just you wait and see.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Hmmm, ok, I'll keep the Win ME then. It's really not that bad of an OS, but the puter just kept crashing. I finally tweaked it enough to stop the crashes, but it's still slower than molasses. Hopefully, the hardware upgrades will help with that.

Woo-Hoo! Thanks for that link! I knew there had to be somewhere I could find out my puter's specs.

It says I have a max. capacity of 256 MB and 2 slots, but it has to be installed in a "set of 1". So, what this means is that it'll accept two 128 MB cards? When I right click on My Computer, it says I have 120.0 MB of RAM. I didn't think cards came with 120 - thought 128 was the standard size. Is that right? Do I currently have a 128 MB card?

Also, since I previously thought I could upgrade to 512 MB, but now know my max. is 256 MB, should I just skip the idea of getting a CD/DVD drive and buy a CD-RW instead? I'm afraid the DVD will be so slow that it won't function properly.
Set of 1 means that you can put in any stick, as long as it's 128mb or lower. Any more, and the computer won't read it. Your computer has a max of 256mb of memory that it can take, so the memory has to be spread across the two.

Also, keep in mind that ME and 2k are way different operating systems. Win2k is designed for server/business use, whereas ME is a client based operating system, meaning that it was designed for home computer users. ME is quite a bit more primitive than 2k, and Microsoft doesn't even support it anymore. You can find copies of 2k online (I'm not saying that you should pirate it ), or you can buy 2k at most computer trade shows.

As for the DVD burner, some can and will work with only 256mb of memory, but can be slow during the burning process. If you're not set on a DVD burner, than a CDRW will do a great job, and uses very little resources to work correctly.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:59 PM

Hey Barbie, your computer would show 120MB because there would be 8MB reserved for the video memory. So if you have a max of 256 then you can install 128 more.

One other thing, if you go for a drive larger than 33MB the age of computer you have may mean that the BIOS does not recognise anything over this. Most drive manufacturers have (or at least had) a large disk utility to get around this.

BTW, Win2K would be a better option for you...get all the service packs as well, it wont run as fast at Me but it will be stable
Old 09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
I don't wanna. I'm keeping my dinosaur, and when I'm done upgrading, it'll be awesome ... just you wait and see.
you know...deNILE is not just a river in egypt.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
barbie--i had a problem with my pavilion--mine is a 2002 model with 163/4 " screen--had all the upgrades and then some and was slower than snail snot in january on ashes--i wanted a new one. instead i found a programmer--now i enjoy the thing, even with dial up broadband service. and i still have all the extra goodies hp gave it in the first place. and the programmer was verrrry nice.