The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Help me install my ceiling fan wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 AM

Help me install my ceiling fan wiring!

Alright guys, here's an off topic project for everyone. I just bought a ceiling fan from Lowe's yesterday, and I want to install it in the middle of my room. The problem with the idea is that my bedroom did not already come equipped with a light fixture in the ceiling, so I will need to run the wiring to the fan itself. I want to be able to control the power going to the whole fan by my light switch in the wall, which turns off power to an outlet that is just a few feet away from the switch itself. It sounds really easy: get in the attic, mount the fan (which was pretty easy), find a junction box for the light switch/wall outlet, splice the fan wires in using rollomax, and voila, a light! Well, the hard part is that I am unable to locate a junction box in the attic. It seems as if the wiring for the outlets just drop straight down through the top of the wall, through the wall, and to the power outlet. The only problem with that though is that the wiring needs to go to the switch first before it goes to the outlet, and I cannot seem to find this wire. I could be wrong, it might be there, but I had to climb out of the attic since I was itching profusely and could not breathe.

So, has anyone else ever wired a ceiling fan to a wall outlet? If you have, please help! I just have to find a way to possibly connect the wiring to the outlet itself, without destroying my walls.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:19 AM
No Club Love

no there isn't really any way(with out destroing the drywall) unless you can feed the wire to the box. what you need to do is wire some romex, from the light switch, up to the fan junction box. I would, shut off the power, unscrew the lightfixture, straighten about 30 foot of romex, then feed it through the light box, and up into the attic. First check to see if you have any 2x4s in the way,(they use them for fire blocks) then try and work it up. Its better if you have a stupid friend to be in the attic to help feed the wires. Good luck
Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 AM

There is an easy(ish) way to do this. I rewired my whole friggin' house last year (stupid 50's non-grounded outlets... how's a guys supposed to run a welder on that?). This included putting the ceiling fan in the dining room on it's own switches (one for the light, one for the fan). All new cable, all new panel, all new fixtures, switches, and outlets, and the only drywall I had to touch was for the new service cables from the masthead to the panel.

First, is the power (from the panel) coming through the switch, and then to the outlet it currently controls, or does the panel cable go to the outlet, and then to your switch? This is going to determine your wiring of the cables. If you can tell me that, I can tell you how to wire it. If you don't know where it's all coming from, I can help you figure that out, too (you'll need a multimeter or test light to do it).

Second, you won't need to tear up the drywall as long as you can get to your attic (i.e. you don't have a floor up there). The key to this is the $10/$12, 5 or 6 foot long flexible shaft drill bits sold in the electrical aisle at Home Depot/Lowes. Greenlee makes them, I think. While you're there, get an "Old Works" box for the switch, and a ceiling fan-rated fixture box to mount the fan (pay the extra couple of dollars for the adjustable one that makes it easier to center the box if you're in between rafters). It's super important that it be rated for the load of a heavy, spinning fan.

Let me know about the power source, then we can get you set from there. PM me if you want.
good luck,
Dave
Old 09-25-2006, 12:44 PM

As of now, the mounting for the fan is done, it's just the wiring itself that needs to be completed. My dad knows how to wire it, he's done it before, my problem is just getting romax to my electrical outlet to power the fan. So far everyone has told me to find a junction box in the attic, but the only problem is that there is none that I can see. As an example, my dad installed a whole house fan, and placed it where a light fixture had been before. When he wired it, there was already a pre existing junction box for the previous fixture, so wiring was a breeze.

As for my room, it does not have any light fixture in it whatsoever. I just have a free standing light, which is on top of my desk. So, the wiring for the fan needs to be ran, and the only logical way I can find to do this is to drill into the top of the 2x4 that finishes off the top of the ceiling in the attic (I have a one story house) and dropping line down through the middle of the wall until I hopefully come out near my power outlet.

It's just confusing, and I don't want to screw up on running the wires and have my dad kill me.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:56 PM

When you take off the switch plate cover for the wall switch that currently controls your outlet (or half of it) but that you would like to control your fan, does it have one cable (with three wires, black, white, and ground) going into the box, or two?
Dave
Old 09-25-2006, 03:32 PM

the box itself has three wires, black (power), white (common), and the copper unshielded (ground). I think what I am going to try is to feed the romax down through the wall using tent poles for leverage, and to the outlet that the switch controls.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 PM

thanks to everyone and their responces. I knew how to wire the light, but I needed ideas as to how to get the wires down in the wall. I finally came up with the idea to just drill a hole in the very top 2x4 on the inner wall in the attic, and run the romax down through my hole and to my power plug. Because the romax can snag and bend, I came up with the idea of using collapsible tent poles to feed the romax in, by taping the end of the romax to the end of the tent pole. I got up in the attic, my dad was down at the socket, and after a few minutes of moving it around, we got the tent pole/romax idea to work!

Here's a pic of our fine work.
Attached Thumbnails Help me install my ceiling fan wiring!-4518b8d4000b30d700003c742207024553a6cfcbcd9b9c0eb0.jpg  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 AM
No Club Love

Good job bro, those old houses suck, especially if they have lath and plaster, they suck to rewire.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM

My house isn't too old, it's about 15-20 years old. The problem is that most new homes I see don't have light fixtures in the bedroom ceilings.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Bad Speller

ha ha your fan makes mine look fancy. Custom work woohoo pictures will be up soon.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Bad Speller

Here is my fan

just to ***** out my room. Yes it;s Anime, Yes its car pics, Yes its a D-Sport Calendar. it all fits in one mind.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 PM

damn your desk is messy I do have to say that I like the Hachi Roku on your computer monitor.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:17 AM
No Club Love

Yeah most houses in CA are made ahead of time and have had no planning involved, my moms had to have recessed lighting and all the upgrades, so now the house is blinging. No picts, cause im in Idaho.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Bad Speller

yeah I find it hard to belive that my mom actually found all of my condoms in that mess of a desk I got. not fun stuff I tell yah..... she invaded my privacy big time
Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 AM
No Club Love

thats funny that happened to me not long ago. It sucked well, after that i made a trip to the clinic, just make a donation and you get a bag of freebees. Maybe they had a parent broadcast or something. And where in riverside do you live.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Bad Speller

I live in the Moreno Valley/perris border line. by the Alberto's she didn;t take me away or anithing she just layed them across my bed. it was a WTF moment cause now she knows what the stains on my sheets are.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
No Club Love

Really what school do you go to, Rancho(lame), cause i (did)live before the bridge after ampm, on the way to perris. yeah that suck, at least she didn't take them, i had all the colors before,jk, but any ways, when i go back down there, after i graduate, i'll hit you up, whats your name i might even no you, small world isn't it. I'm Gavin.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Bad Speller

Yeah I come to rancho... The Name Is Juan, everyone calls me Wanton. but yeah I knew a guy named Gavin like 2 years ago in my World History class. like back when I still had my Z32...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
you know, guys--this might be a kind of surprise to you younger dudes--but, MOMS KNOW ALL !!!!!!! even if we don't let on--why should we tell you when we know what you're up to???? anyway--------
Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
No Club Love

What up, yup thats me. Whats going on bro, i live out in Idaho, it really sucks, out here. Had a couple problems down there. Gangs, remember that fight at the park. Sick, anways, i aquired a j30 with the z32 motor in it, fast but heavy, and have been messing with z's since. So how you been and what not, i saw you driving that POS honda, but i was getting gas, and couldn't find you afterwords. Anyways, pm me, my computer sucks, at home, so mon-fri. i'm around 8-2 CA time. Late.

Oh and z-hag, moms know a lot because they've done it all. I can tell since i've now been there and done that . Anyways. Yup, late, y'all
Old 09-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Bad Speller

yeah I remeber you happy ***. ha ha J30's come with Z32 motor stock its just downtuned, and only available outomatic. hey whatever happened to that J30 lemme het the rear axles and diferential I want them for my S13 (Now I drive a Right Hand Drive S13) and I want LSD pretty by I can;t even start a damn drift open diff sucks mucho ****'o *****. Mr. Arce has another kid on the way (again) typical mexican dude. but uh yeah Z's are fun Im tryig to get a Hold of a Z32 for a DD and kee p my S13 as a daily. SR20 is not enough power I wanna do an RB25 or RB26 on the ****er. it needs another turbo and 2 more pistons. ha ha
Old 09-30-2006, 09:49 AM
No Club Love

That's what i thought, mr. arce has like five kids now, he's big pimping. Yeah i need to get rid of all these, j30 parts, have pretty much everything but, hood, driver steering and driver fender. Give me a number and the next time i go back to CA. i'll bring it. My brother,with the truck, is coming up, mid. october, so if you want it just say so and i'll be under there today. Were did you find a right hand drive car, there damn expensive cause all the rich kids have them. Damn your spolied. Anyways hit me up, number is 951-233-8257.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Bad Speller

pfffft I aint aspoled foo I bought the ca rmyslef. I work at a body shop. and right now im working on repainting it. but yeah for sure I'll hti you up when I get some money to go pick up the axles and differential. if the car is i CA I might be getting a few other things too. =)
Old 10-01-2006, 06:24 PM
No Club Love

Na, i told you i'm up in idaho. My bro's coming up, if you want the parts, tell me, i'll take them out and send them down.Duh. Hit me up on what parts you want. Got everything but speakers and front end. you work at a body shop huh.I'm coming down, janurary or so, im graduating. Maybe later if snow is bad. But hit me up on the Tele, and give me a parts list.