The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Bad News.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Doesn't post much...

Unhappy Bad News.

Well, about 6 weeks ago I noticed that my left eye was unable to focus on small things while watching TV one night. I was shocked because I have always had better than 20/20 vision. Right eye was still crystal clear.

I chalked it up to eye strain and figured it would pass. It didn't. After about a week, I was at my Doctors office on an unrelated visit and I mentioned it to him. I asked if maybe it was just me getting old. he said "No, it's not normal to lose vision over night like that" and said he was going to send me to an Opthamologist. He thought maybe I had a torn retina or something similar.

I went to the Opthamologist for some tests. After about an hour and a half and some very uncomfortable moments (I'm "eye queezy") The Doc tells me I have Glaucoma in my left eye for sure. I was stunned. He set up more tests.

I found out today after several appointments and tests, that I have it in both eyes. The right side just hasn't deteriorated enough to notice yet. I guess there are several types/forms of Glaucoma and I have the crappiest one. It sounds like we can slow it down but eventually I'm going to lose my eyesight all together unless some new breakthrough treatment comes available.

I'm going to have to forfeit my Pilots License fairly soon and eventually, my drivers license.

I Don't get it. I'm not diabetic. I have no family history at all of this disease. 6 weeks ago I had 20/15 eyesight in both eyes. Now I'm going blind... WTF?

Anyway, I just wanted to let someone know so I could get it off my chest. You guys have always been supportive of the members here and I consider many of you to be friends.

Thanks for reading another long post.

Rod.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Pr0n Addict

dude that's butt. sorry to hear it. good luck. it sucks to hear that that is happening to anybody
Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

damn dude. that is terrible man. i could not imagine losing my vision. best of luck.

but hey, didn't CA just start with the pot vending machines???

Last edited by entropy31; 02-08-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
......seriously-----narrow amngle or wide angle glaucoma, roddy????? did they give you drops??????? etc??????.........sorry to hear this----but try to keep to the instructions of the opthalmologist.....good luck-----both eyes????? or just one???.......you are soooo young for this.......my worst nightmare from hell......sorry, dude.......donkeybop......has to do with pressure inside the eyeball....is relieved with thc...........go figger........

Last edited by z-hag; 02-08-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 PM
The Good Twin

d00d!!! There's no medical procedure / aid / cure for Glaucoma ???? All the things we can fix these days and this isn't one of them?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Über User

so.... no more Xbox live? i didnt even get to play you yet. (sorry if your not in the mood for a light joke i apologize in advanced)

seriously though, thats terrible. being on your medical record you wont be able to get a flight medical any more, so you got till that month of your last. which is horrible. im sorry. hopefully you can at least keep the drivers license till your to old to care. i hope for the best man and maybe, since your such a tough guy, you can fight it till a decent ripe age before it really starts to effect you. ditto on the question with the pot vending machines though E mentioned. saw that on the news. go enjoy it while you can, go and live it up cause who knows what time frame your really looking at.

man, first shady looses his job, now my personal ball buster has glaucoma. not cool..... hope this bad luck isnt a trend for zdriver members. stupid february.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 02-08-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:03 AM
eff good grammar

zhag is right, dont turn down a fattie.

also theres some chemical that you can get over the counter found in some vegitables too that helps with the eyes, for the life of me i cant rember the name of it but my grandma kept taking it because it slowed the progress of her macular degeneration down but it does help with other eye issues.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:51 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Oh man, that is absolutely horrible to hear. I really don't know what to say. I will say I am going to pray for you bro'. I could not imagine, having this happen to me. I am at a loss for words. Just dumbfounded to hear this happening to you. Hopefully things will turn around. And you wont lose your eyesight. Keep the faith brother. And like I said...I will pray for you. And keep you in my thoughts as well. And you have a good friend here. Along with many others, on this great website. Keep your head up man.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Political n00b crusher

Oh man, sorry to hear it Rod. I too thought they had a cure for this....but hopefully they'll come up with one soon. Good luck and hopefully this turns out OK for you.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
DAMN, ROD--I AM DED SREIOUS----THE ANSWER TO GLAUCOMA, NARROW or WIDE ANGLE IS TO KEEP THE INTRAOCULAR PRESSURE DOWN,.oops....somehow, thc does that......i would never tell a fib tto you, bro----remember that-----get a medicinal mj card----pm me if yopu would like to know more medical stuff.....i been a hi tek nursie for ever.....,use my brain, bro.........love you.......
Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

I'm sorry to hear this Rod, hopefully you can retain enough vision in your eyes long enough for their to be some sort of treatment.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Doesn't post much...

Hey, Thanks everybody.

As far as the Medical MJ goes... I'm not real fond of the cigaweed. Not to mention I would lose my yob mang.

I'll keep y'all posteded.

Rod.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Über User

would you still loose it if it was medicinal? u should ask. if it'll help. and yeah, i cant stand smokin that stuff anymore cause i get baked (been a while now dont be judging) and its BAD! i cant keep my eyes open cause everything is all flashy and tunnel vision, i feel SOOO anxious, and if i lay down i feel like im angled sharply and will slide off the world. lol. in moderation though, crap is just funny. and hide it from the chitlens! lol
Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

oh man Rod.. dude im real sorry to hear about your eyes... i cant even imagine what your going through... just know im prayin for you man.. i wouldn't give up if i were you.. go see another Opthamologist and get a second third or fourth opinion...
Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
would you still loose it if it was medicinal? u should ask. if it'll help. and yeah, i cant stand smokin that stuff anymore cause i get baked (been a while now dont be judging) and its BAD! i cant keep my eyes open cause everything is all flashy and tunnel vision, i feel SOOO anxious, and if i lay down i feel like im angled sharply and will slide off the world. lol. in moderation though, crap is just funny. and hide it from the chitlens! lol
And this is better than glaucoma how?????

Sounds about the same yo!

Hey Ice, I'm going to get other opinions, but we aren't done testing yet. I have to follow protocol with the insurance company too.

Z-Hag, My particular form of glaucoma is not pressure induced. The drainage valves are fine and I have no excessive pressure. Mine is a fraying/splitting of the nerve fibers that carry the optical signal to the brain. The exact cause is unkown but believed to be often caused by severe head trauma (Which I've had) or Massive rapid blood loss to the point of needing donor blood/transplant (Been there, done that too). Doctor guesses it probably originated about 22 years ago when I launched my older brothers Triumph Spitfire off a 70 cliff at about 90 MPH I survived, the car didn't but I was a tad messed up to say the least. Took until now for enough of the nerves deteriorated to notice the vision loss.

Pretty crazy huh?

The bitch is, it may have taken 22 years to show itself, but the progress now is notable. It's already noticeably worse than it was just a month ago.

Rod.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Queen of Yachts

at least we can joke about it.(mj).....but, rod...unfortunately, so far, the only other drug, besides the gawdawful number of eyedrops used for the treatment of the glaucomas, that works in testing has been mj. but that is for the pressue -induced glaucomas..... and, yes, if you are in the mass of employees randomly tested for drugs----you would be terminated for its use. there is a precedent for that, as we speak......one day after we are all ded there will be a different government not interested in making monies offa da drug wars..and there will be proper use of herbs and medicinals --but we do not hold our breaths in the face of ignorance in govt and bureaucracy....oops----and do not forget the AMA...

i have not heard of anything use-able in the face of neural deterioration........botheyes?????....geeeeez....b ut these results you and a friend of mine are both having so very many years after head trauma are resulting in some of our---my other friend and mine- friends starting non profit businesses giving proceeds to research on brain injury.........i just wish it would be timely fotr the friends i have here and now instead of these friends injuries paving the way for another generation from now to have , perhaps , some benefit.......the brain is such a complicated mass of tissue and so very much yet to learn.....

and, snowy--the medicinal stuff doesnt make you high---it helps the pain first.....providing the herb is not just used as many younguns abuse vicodin and other medicines.it has been found to aid in the healing of severe strokes----brain repair to a point---very interesting research.........

Last edited by z-hag; 02-09-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
zhag is right, dont turn down a fattie.

also <b>theres some chemical that you can get over the counter found in some vegitables too that helps with the eyes</b>, for the life of me i cant rember the name of it but my grandma kept taking it because it slowed the progress of her macular degeneration down but it does help with other eye issues.
Man Rod, I'm really sorry to hear about your eyes. That sucks monster-hardcore but keep you head up, it could be alot worse. Wishing the best for you.

As far as that chemical goes, wouldn't happen to be Betacarrotine(sp?) would it?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Definitely get a second or third opinion regarding diagnosis and treatment. I have found the quality of doctors varies like the quality of Z's. I wish you the best, I've been glacoma "suspect" for many years.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by z-hag
at least we can joke about it.(mj).....but, rod...unfortunately, so far, the only other drug, besides the gawdawful number of eyedrops used for the treatment of the glaucomas, that works in testing has been mj. but that is for the pressue -induced glaucomas..... and, yes, if you are in the mass of employees randomly tested for drugs----you would be terminated for its use. there is a precedent for that, as we speak......one day after we are all ded there will be a different government not interested in making monies offa da drug wars..and there will be proper use of herbs and medicinals --but we do not hold our breaths in the face of ignorance in govt and bureaucracy....oops----and do not forget the AMA...

i have not heard of anything use-able in the face of neural deterioration........botheyes?????....geeeeez....b ut these results you and a friend of mine are both having so very many years after head trauma are resulting in some of our---my other friend and mine- friends starting non profit businesses giving proceeds to research on brain injury.........i just wish it would be timely fotr the friends i have here and now instead of these friends injuries paving the way for another generation from now to have , perhaps , some benefit.......the brain is such a complicated mass of tissue and so very much yet to learn.....

and, snowy--the medicinal stuff doesnt make you high---it helps the pain first.....providing the herb is not just used as many younguns abuse vicodin and other medicines.it has been found to aid in the healing of severe strokes----brain repair to a point---very interesting research.........
vicodine and codene are sweet!

but uhhh... the AMA ???? whats wrong the the aeronaudical model association???? im a member, they insure my (liability only) up to 2.5 million dollars worth of damage. (dont as how a model could cause so much, maybe crashing a model onto a freeway and causing a 20 car pile up??? or killing someone?)
Old 02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Rod-
I will never understand what you're going through. Nobody will. I can only offer my condolances and support. Suffice to say . . .its not the end, homie. Your eyes are not your only window to the world. Keep that in mind. You still have a loving family and friends who will help you with the possible transition ahead of you. I wish you the best man. And who knows. . . . the human body is an amazing machine. You might come out of this OK. Dont give in.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

im sorry to hear that. i hope things get better for you.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
vicodine and codene are sweet!
They sure are. In fact... Heath Ledger used them both to prepare for his upcoming lead role in "Weekend at Bernies 3".

Rod.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Über User

now to be fair, im pretty sure there is still no autopsy report for his cause of death, he was on them because he couldnt sleep after making batman. its funny, apparently there's inherently bad luck with being the joker in the batman movie, somethign about all of them dying not to far after i think it was.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 AM

I thought glaucoma results in vision loss only if undiagnosed & untreated?

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/139/main.html

"Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that damage the optic nerve"

"While glaucoma cannot be prevented, the earlier it is diagnosed the better."

"There is no cure for glaucoma, but it can be controlled. Ophthalmologists use medication and surgery to prevent further vision loss. These treatment methods are used to bring the intraocular pressure under control."
Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Big Poppa

rod i am sorry to hear, and glad i was able to meet you and cruise with you at the msa 2007 meet. hopefully by the next time i get down there you will be able to cruise more. maybe the desease wont have moved much by then.

Quick Reply: Bad News.