350Z (Z33) Forums Dedicated to 2003 + ZCars otherwize known as the Z33's

Help me with my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Exclamation Help me with my Z!

First of all, Hello all as this is my first post on this site or any as the matter of fact. I just got my 2003 Z. Its cool to see so many people so knowledgeable in one place on something so cool as the Z.

I don't think I should be saying this but, I don't know anything about cars. All I know is that when I drive my Z is just something else.

I would like to work on the performance of the car, I mean by being able to smoke your average ride that plays cocky on the road. I am looking for affordable suggestions in making this happens.

As we all know this stuff gets expensive. All I have now is stock car with 20" rims, and a INJEN air intake (or cold air intake don't know the difference if there is any).

I was trying to find out what should I use, turbo or supercharger, or if even one was needed. and if I choose any other, do I need to upgrade otherstuff so I don't burn something?

I know this is a long post, I really do appreciate all the help, and hope to gain enough knowledge to return the favor. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by jdremix; 09-04-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Pr0n Addict

ok. this is your first post so i'll just talk a bit, but i need to say that EVERYTHING you asked can be answered in detail by a search of this site, tt.net, google, anywhere.

this thread is in the wrong forum. you are in the 350Z forum. you have a 300ZX.

turbo swaps are ridiculously difficult, expensive, and not worth it. also, it's not really worth upgrading a N/A, because you will have to spend a LOT to get just a little bit of power increase. so, if you want to go faster, your best bet is to clean the car up as well as you can, do the maintenance that needs to be done, sell it for as much as you can, and get a turbo model.

again, a turbo swap is challenging for an experienced mechanic, let alone a noob. super chargers are rare on these cars for a reason. not very much bang for the buck. upgraded N/A's are also rare for a reason. there's no way to get much bang for your buck with a N/A.

if you sell it and get a turbo car, there are tons of reasonably priced mods that will quickly make your car the fastest in your town. (never mind. you are in los angeles. well, it will get you a really stinkin' fast car). the hard part is finding a reasonably priced turbo 300, because everyone wants them. they are expensive. sorry to bust your bubble

cold air intake is basically just a fancy name in my opinion. seeing as our cars have intakes at the front, they are basically cold air's from the factory. so you just have an "after market intake" is what i would say. don't know if that answered your question. but no, you are not wrong for saying cold air intake.

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 09-04-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Exclamation I do apologize

I made a big mistake on the year it was supposed to be 2003 instead of 1993. Its a 350z.

Oh, I have been reading these forums day in and out. But everyone is so knowledgeable and technical, its a bit difficult to understand. I was comparing some specs and it looks like I own a Touring edition with a REV-UP motor, I think. By the looks of it, it seems like many people here have better experiences with Turbochargers instead of a supercharger.

Although, I don't think I will do any racing, I just want to beef it up a bit so my boy's stock Beamers and Merecedes don't look down on me. Most importantly cause I'm intrigued on what the car can do.

That is why Im trying to decide if any of these addons are necessary, or if I can gain enough juice by doing other things to it. Thanks for your time again.

I was actually looking at getting this:

or Engine Type: VQ35DE
Turbo used in this Greddy turbo kit: 2x TD05H-18G Twin Turbos
Expected HP gain: 100+ HP
Expected boost: 5.6 PSI

Turbo Kit Includes:
- 2x Greddy cast-iron exhaust manifolds.
- 2x Greddy External Type T wastegates.
- 1x Greddy e-manage.
- 6x Greddy 440cc injectors.
- 1x Greddy intercooler pipe kit.
- 2x Greddy Airinx AY-SB.
- All necessary piping.
- All necessary hardware.

Would I need to add something else not to kill my car though?

Last edited by jdremix; 09-04-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:07 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jdremix
I am looking for affordable suggestions in making this happens.
Although, I don't think I will do any racing, I just want to beef it up a bit so my boy's stock Beamers and Merecedes don't look down on me.
Hum... you want to "beef it up" only to compare to a Bimmer? And you want to do it cheaply? I see problems in your future. Kidding aside (or was I kidding.... ?) Quality upgrades don't come cheap. Better said: Quality anything doesn't come cheap. If you're after cheap "looking" power, sell the Z and buy a Civic with black steely rims.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM

hahaha. Hell no man, Not selling my baby. I want to start doing work on it, yeah I am willing to spend a few grand on it, with time and learn as I go, but where should I start?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Pr0n Addict

if you've never worked on a car before, do you really think it wise to start this on a car so advanced that there isn't even a haynes manual for it?

to answer your last question, the first thing that comes to mind that is missing out of that kit that you listed is intercoolers. budget $1000 for them. this isn't to say though that i recommend this kit. i don't know about it

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 09-04-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 PM

I understand completely what you say Kasbekz, Although I just don't find any sense on working on a car that really doesn't mean anything to me ya know? So I know its a risk.

I don't even know if any of these things are necessary. I guess I am trying to build something around the 450 top stretching it out to 500 horse power. which for I can see here means I can still use it on a daily basis. Not looking for a big 800 horse power that the TT will do, and with the bucks it takes.

So I appreciate the time, advice, but most importantly the patience to a new-comer
Old 09-05-2008, 06:33 AM
The Good Twin

Your posts are confusing... you want a fast and powerful 350z, but not to race, you don't know anything about cars, and you aren't willing to learn, but you want to add a $4k-$5k turbo kit, but not to race, and you want to do it cheaply.

I must have missed the punch line... because this doesn't make sense.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Well, Spending 5k is something I can do as opposed to what I've been reading that they are spending 15 and 20k. I don't want to go that far. Its not what Im looking for. Just trying to add power to the car where it counts.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Pr0n Addict

there is only one place to add power. to the wheels. sorry to be difficult. but there is just one level after another of performance upgrades. you can't skip
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 PM
The Good Twin

Well, Spending 5k is something I can do as opposed to what I've been reading that they are spending 15 and 20k. I don't want to go that far. Its not what Im looking for. Just trying to add power to the car where it counts.
Again... your posts are confusing. You state over and over that you want to add power, but don't seem willing to ACTUALLY do what it takes.

The turbo kit itself is about $4k-$5k. Technically you CAN just throw that kit onto the motor... and count down the hours until you have to buy a new motor. Or you can build the motor to withstand the higher strains (that = a lot more $$$$$).

Oh wait... you say you won't be racing it. Well, if the car sits in the garage, or is your commuter car, it might have a chance.

Last edited by NismoPick; 09-05-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 PM

Magic in your words. Threads in the forum seem limited because questions are too specific. I think. So its hard for me to understand as a newb.

You say, If I add a Turbo or a SC, I need to modify the engine further not to kill it. What kind of modifications will it need? It seems like Turbo is if I want to add massive horse power, Not looking for that. Lets just say, I want to make it faster than your stock 350z or g35/37. Is that valid?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Basically anything thats made of metal that helps hold the engine together or made of rubber that holds in fluids will need to be upgraded. Anything that cools the engine will need to do so more effectively or you're going to burn it up. Anything that delivers fuel will need to do so more efficiently or you arent going to go anywhere. Anything that transfers power will need to be stronger or its going to break.

Thats just the beginning really.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 PM
The Good Twin

Lets just say, I want to make it faster than your stock 350z or g35/37. Is that valid?
You can:

Go to AutoZone and buy a cold air intake.

Overfill your tires so they are harder and make you go faster.

Re-program your ecu.

Go to www.my350z.com and find out what all the other 350z'ers are doing.... but if you ask the same question you asked here, you will likely be banned the second you post your question.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Faster than average 350z?

Heres what you do. Go to a good shop, have THEM pull the heads off, and take them to get ported/polished. Spend at least 2000 dollars on this and tell the machine shop to take as long as they need. Then go get some GOOD exhaust. Plan 4000-5000k on this. Then your car will be faster than average and last longer than it will if you slap a half assed ebay turbo kit on it. Oh yeah get rid of the 20`s and get some 16`s on some good r compounds.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You can:

Go to www.my350z.com and find out what all the other 350z'ers are doing.... but if you ask the same question you asked here, you will likely be banned the second you post your question.

LOL, so very true....

Read up all you can on my350z but DONT post, trust us on this. There's lots of useful information there that will answer all your questions.

You cant go cheap on these cars, If you want to go FI(Force Induction)you'll have to build up your motor to handle that power.

And since you don't know anything about cars I would definitely hold off on the FI if I where you. Because you WILL run into problems and shops will rape you since you don't know any better.

Just get a good exhaust with a Y and test pipes. Your exhaust is made up of 3 sections, test pipes, Y pipe, and cat back. This will run you about 1-2K depending on brand.

Plenum Spacer, $200-300 Motor dyne is my preference. Get the thermal one too.

After market Plenum, Crawford, Kintex, ect. $300-$1000

Unorthodox, Agency Lighten Pulleys $200- about $350

Get some 18' or 19'MAX rims

Headers, but not really worth the labor/difference

I know Im missing more but that gives you an idea.

Goodluck.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM
The Evil Twin

I took my 350Z to a dyno day with the local My350Z owners earlier this year.
The owner of Drift Office has seen a lot of NA Zs come through there. He said if you do the full intake and exhaust (filter, spacer, headers, exhaust) you get 15-18whp increase. All for only $2000!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 PM

I know but to us FI, guys 100hp increase is peanuts. We want 200hp+ increases.

Turn up the boost, add more fuel, and start smoking those tires shooting flames.... lol

Last edited by zboostin; 09-21-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
The Evil Twin

yup. A lot of the Zs there had TT. 8-10psi was giving them 375-400whp

That is with stock internals, stock compression. Aftermarket fuel management though.

My stock revup motor (300hp advertised) put down 247whp
Old 09-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Yea, I know a lot of people with there tt setups on there Z33 making not that much power, for that you have to build the motor. Only than will you make HIGH #'s. I mean you can always turn up the boost to like 20psi and blow the motor. lol
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 AM

jdremix, not sure if you're still following this thread but I will offer some answers to your questions.

made a big mistake on the year it was supposed to be 2003 instead of 1993. Its a 350z... I own a Touring edition with a REV-UP motor, I think.
Your motor is not the rev-up motor, it's the non rev-up motor. The rev-up motor was not introduced until 2005 on the anniversary model.

Although, I don't think I will do any racing, I just want to beef it up a bit so my boy's stock Beamers and Merecedes don't look down on me.
From what I have read your goal is a moderate increase in power so that you can impress your friends in their Bimmers and Mercs. You can certainly achieve this goal with a supercharger or turbo. You probably won't reach this goal without any forced induction (FI), so don't waste too much money on simple bolt-ons modifications.

Well, Spending 5k is something I can do as opposed to what I've been reading that they are spending 15 and 20k.
You won't get much for the Z with only 5k, especially if you want FI. If you budget is strictly limited to 5k you will have to get a used FI setup, which will decrease the reliability as you won't know what the previous owner did to it. You said that you were interested in a Greddy kit, well that kits will cost about 10k for an install and tune without any supporting modifications. Click here to see the price of a basic Greddy install without any supporting modifications.

I guess I am trying to build something around the 450 top stretching it out to 500 horse power.
You will not reach this goal with a 5k budget unless you buy used parts and install everything yourself. You said that you don't know much about cars so I wouldn't recommend trying to install an FI kit yourself.

I would recommend a very mild FI setup to achieve your goal of beating Bimmers, Mercs, and G37s. I wouldn't recommend getting a used kit because I think it's risky, but that's a decision I leave to you. Your best options would be a single turbo or supercharger. A twin turbo is much more expensive and you don't have huge horsepower goals or deep pockets, so I recommend staying away from twin turbos. If you want a turbo I would recommend the Turbonetics or APS single.

Turbonetics

APS single

If you decide you to with a supercharger I would recommend the Vortec kit.

You will need to raise your budget a couple thousand for any of these options. Click here to get an idea of how much it will cost to get the Vortec installed and tuned. It is very important to get these kits professionally installed and tuned by a shop that has experience with the Z. Don't choose a shop where your car will be the first time they have ever installed FI on the Z. The tune is the most important thing when it comes to FI. The tune is the most important thing when it comes to FI. It doesn't matter what kit you have installed if it doesn't have a good tune it will not be safe or reliable for your motor. I would recommend the Vortec kit out of those choices. You only have to save a couple more thousand and then you can get a brand new kit and have it installed and tuned. The Vortec is a very safe kit and you can expect power between 360whp to 400whp with a good tune. You do not have to build your motor to achieve this goal, the stock motor will be fine. In the meantime you can do some simple bolt-ons that will compliment the Vortec setup. zboostin gave you some very good suggestions for bolt-ons that you could do while saving up for FI.

Make sure you decide what your overall goal will be before doing any modifications. Decide if you want to invest the time and money going FI, or if you want to stay all motor. If you decide to go FI, then decide if it will be a turbo or a supercharger. Some bolt-ons don't work with certain FI setups. For example, if you buy headers and then decide to go turbo you will have to get rid of the headers, thus wasting time and money. If you buy a really nice dual exhaust and then get a single turbo, you will have to lose the exhaust or modify it to match the single turbo thus wasting time and money. The point is that you should decide your overall goal first.

If you have any questions please ask. As others have said, I wouldn't recommend posting at cry350z.com unless you are ready to have your thread flammed for a few pages and then locked by one of the admins. However, there is an abundance of good information if you are willing to read through the garbage.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM

All I have now is stock car with 20" rims
I almost forgot about this. If performance is your goal please get rid of the 20s. Those are for bling and car shows, not performance. Mhinrichs recommended getting some 16s. I don't know of anyone using 16s on their Z, but I would recommend some nice 18s or 19s at the most.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 PM
The Evil Twin

Give the 20's to your friend with a Mercedes. You'll be faster than him just like that!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

ha ha bleach

its so true too
Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

wowzers i can see this z turning into the white riced out one with the storm drain body kit...

there is a simple saying for tuning cars that came from the stock market,

Cheapness, Speed, and Reliability... pick two and there is your investment(in this case tunned car) because you cant have all 3

the only exception to this is if you have major hookups but from the sounds of things you dont

BUT!!! you can buy a older car that no honda rice boys know about like a datsun 280zx that can be tunned for 10k total and be faster than a 350z(only problem is finding parts most of it is fab work)... and plus no guy in a bimmer is gonna be bragging about beating a old POS Z car from the 80s... and btw

save the 20's for the G's.. I ROCK 14's... <- wow i think thats going in my sig...