Loud Shreaking sound when i start the car and when I drive - ZDriver.com

350Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
93convz

Loud Shreaking sound when i start the car and when I drive

I have a 93Z and lately i hear a very loud screaching sound that comes from the engine, i was thinking whether or not this is the timing belt or something else, it gets really loud when im pressing the accelarator but sometimes it goes away when i put my stick into neutral... anyone have this problem before?
Old 02-29-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
confuzed member

Does the sound stay there? Or does it go away after like 5 minutes or less? If that's the case, it's your timing belt tensioner. It's more of an annoyance than anything. Replace it next time you do your 60K. If it stays, then it's belt. It could be your timing belt, accesory belt, etc. It's probably loose or the pulleys aren't very well oiled. Oh, and I suppose your somewhat new to this, but this is the 350z section, you'll get more of the help you need if you post in the z32 (300zx) section right beneath this one. Hope that helped...feel free to ask for any questions.
emo236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM   #3

Try tightening your accessory belts (ac, ps, wp). That is more likely than your timing belt squealing. You could also try spraying a cleaning solution (simple green, etc.) on the accessory pulleys while the car is running. It will clean any oil or grease off of the pulleys; which could cause the belts to squeal also. I don't think having your car in gear or out of gear should make a difference. It's probably just a coincidence.
91zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
Administrative Brown Guy

There's actually a belt dressing that is sold in most auto parts stores for that instead of using something like simple green. Most cleaning solutions like that will end up drying out the belt further, promoting cracking and eventually breakage.
Riz Z Speed is offline   Reply With Quote