300ZX Z32 Tech Tips For 90-96 Z32's.

How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Front clip Highly recommended!!
Label everything!! hoses, screws bolts, nuts, locations of everything! Label, label, label, label!
Repair manual and a really good set of tools.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
Front clip Highly recommended!!
Label everything!! hoses, screws bolts, nuts, locations of everything! Label, label, label, label!
Repair manual and a really good set of tools.
Rizz, do you know if it's possible to do the TT swap w/o a front clip? I've just thrown a rod on my 90 2+2 NA and I've found what appears to be some
reasonably priced JDM TT's. Shouldn't the TT fit w/o modification?

thanks,
Old 08-05-2004, 06:34 PM

Why didnt any one recomend me?

You guys know my deal!

Anyways, we carry VG30DETT's... The swap is not extremely hard.

And comes with EVERYTHING needed to perform the swap. Engine, Transmission, EFI Harness (Electronic Fuel Injection), ECU/M (Engine Control Unit/Module) Intercoolers, Radiator, boost piping, mounts, brackets, panels... Everything.

VG30DETT 5speed : $3,000
VG30DETT Auto : $2,500

Those prices are for the clips... They come with every thing needed to swap.

Let me know...

-ZedEx
Old 08-05-2004, 08:27 PM

Hey Nismo, I'd like to get more details on your offer. If you've got a web site, could you send me the URL. Otherwise, could you send me phone or other contact info so
we can talk?

thanks
Old 08-06-2004, 11:35 AM

PM Sent...
Old 09-03-2004, 09:07 AM

J-Spec Engines

Hey guys...new to the Z World. I have had Supras in the past and am now in the process buying a 300Z TT. I have been able to get many ideas from your conversations on what I will be doing to the car over the next year. I have been told that the engine that is in the car is a J-Spec engine. I have been told in the past that they have more hp. I saw a post in Nissan Forums that this engine was "rated" at 280. The number that I have heard is anywhere from 10-35hp. I am buying this car from a guy that I have been having do my engine work for the last 8 years, so I trust him. He has been a Z guy for longer than I can remember. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Here is a statement that is on one of the engine websites:

These engines are not street legal. The Japanese emission standards are tighter than the U.S. but emission controls are totally different. Many Japanese engines do not have EGRs. Usually a Japanese engine can be retrofitted with these U.S. smog devices, but on some engines, a U.S. cylinder head is needed. The Japanese ECUs are programmed for better fuel(103 octane) with a more aggressive fuel and ignitiion curve, but they can be used here. This is why some Japanese spec engines have higher compression and about 10-15% more horsepower, compared to U.s. engines.

Last edited by Supra Converter; 09-03-2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:48 AM

Where do you live? that really depends on if u even need to worry about emmissions at all, the jspec engine was rated at 20hp less than the USDM vg motor, They have different turbos, Im pretty sure (tell me if im wrong guys) But I really don't see it being an issue as far as the legal factor
Old 09-04-2004, 01:28 AM

I live in Texas and I am not concerned with the emissions (have a hook-up). I had not heard about the different turbos. Anybody else have any info on this?
Old 09-04-2004, 05:57 AM

I just know the engines are rated at different hp... In any case for some reason I remember reading somthing about the JSpecs Spooling faster with a lower max output, this could be wrong.... I just seem to remember reading that. I still don't think you will have problems with any emissions unless you have strict emissions test
Old 09-05-2004, 04:51 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

The JDM engines came with slightly smaller turbos and different camshaft specs. They used the automatic transmission cams in all their engines as opposed to different specs for manual trannies here. As your friend if the engine in the particular car you're interested in has been modified in anyway. It's rare that someone would put a JDM engine in a US car without any changes.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:12 AM

I have been told that the cams are different. I had been told that they were bigger. Do you know if the automatic cams are bigger? What else might be changed? Do you expect there to be a hp difference forthe better?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:39 AM
confuzed member

Rizz is right, the turbos are smaller and the cams have less lift. They are rated at 280 hp. This isn't really an issue if you are planning on modifying the car. Has the motor had a rebuild? This can be a hit or miss type of thing if it hasn't. Some Jspec motors are fine while others tend to have problems after a while. If the guy who installed it is a reputable mechanic, I'm sure he checked the specs or rebuiilt the motor before swapping it in. Is it an NA>TT swap?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by lippy_55
Hi, thisis my first post, if u are on line please reply, i dont know if this is live.

Geof
Welcome, what kind of car do you have?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by emo236
Rizz is right, the turbos are smaller and the cams have less lift. They are rated at 280 hp. This isn't really an issue if you are planning on modifying the car. Has the motor had a rebuild? This can be a hit or miss type of thing if it hasn't. Some Jspec motors are fine while others tend to have problems after a while. If the guy who installed it is a reputable mechanic, I'm sure he checked the specs or rebuiilt the motor before swapping it in. Is it an NA>TT swap?
The car is an original turbo. The motor has not been rebuilt. I do plan on several mods. He is a reputable person. I have used him for the last 8 years. I am more concerned with the performance numbers than anything at this point. Does anyone have any hard numbers on these engines versus the US version? I do not plan on any internal mods, just electrical and bolt-ons.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:33 AM

USDM TT 300hp (crank)
Jspec TT 280hp (crank)
Will you notice a difference?
Not Likely
Old 09-08-2004, 12:20 PM
confuzed member

If you plan on upgrading turbos, the jspec motor will work great for you granted that it's a good block.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by MetalTear17
USDM TT 300hp (crank)
Jspec TT 280hp (crank)
Will you notice a difference?
Not Likely
I am have been told that the 280 is the "rated" number for Japan. I have been told that they actually have more hp then US version. I am just looking for confirmation if possible.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Tough Guy

300 is the "rated" hp here. But I think the Automatics were "rated" at 280 hp.

If your so worried about performance. Got out and find your self a nice SMZ.

Id love to get into one of them.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by domsgarage
Got out and find your self a nice SMZ.

go out and find one?
You'd have an easier time going thru every edition of "where's waldo?" book than to find a SMZ.

I'd be much easier and less expensive to just build a SMZ lookalike. It'd also be less expensive not to use Stealin....errr, Stillen parts.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 09-14-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
Originally Posted by domsgarage
Got out and find your self a nice SMZ.

go out and find one?
You'd have an easier time going thru every edition of "where's waldo?" book than to find a SMZ.

I'd be much easier and less expensive to just build a SMZ lookalike. It'd also be less expensive not to use Stealin....errr, Stillen parts.

Not to mention that you'd be able to build a better car. Those crooks at Stillen charge more than just about every Z performance place out there, and they don't even make the best stuff either. If I only knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought anything from Stillen. I could've saved myself some $$$.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 09-14-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Tough Guy

One just sold on ebay for a little over $27,000.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:24 PM

how do i convert to tt?

i have a 90 tt that has some expensive mecanical problems, the main one so far is the main wire harness has a short(s) and thats about $1300 to fix, not to mention other possable problems such as the injectors, i have some one willing to sell me a tt motor harness,ecu, maifold, everything i would need off his car. the only problem i have is findind some one to install it for me and a reasonable price, which i know will not happen. so my question is , is there anything out there such as litterature or maybe even a video, that will walk me through this swap myself? between my and my 2 uncles i belive we could pull it off, if we had something that we could thouroughly follow for guidence. if theres anywhere i could find something like that , that would kick ***! so u guys let me know whats up.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Check out my link page.
There's a couple NA>TT swap links there.

Quick Reply: How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread