300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Very Excited...Need good Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:03 AM

Very Excited...Need good Advice

Hello to Everyone!! This is my first post and I'm glad to say its a positive one. I'm just graduating College and was excepted to Dental School and I have 8 months before I start. So I figure this is the perfect time to treat the Z.
I own a 93TTZ with 112,000 miles. I want to do a good overhall.
My first question is how well does the engine block hold up? Is it worth me changing turboz, internals, etc.. in my block or is it recommended to spend a **** load of money and buy a new one. I haven't really driven the car hard in a good 4 years. Also how can I check to see if the block is good?
Second question is I work full time as a waiter so I don't have alot of money Where should I look to buy parts and what are good parts in a moderate price range? Also, looking at the chart for power I would like to be at the SGP STAGE VIII and also want the car rebuilt to be reliable so I won't have to worry about it while in school. All Help is greatly appreciated. Thank You all!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Über User

engines on this car are strong.. but it also is very important to support your modds. no matter how strong an engine is. if you dont have good support for modds it will blow.you can most definatly change the internals.. why would you buy a new one. lol. if your pulling the motor get new rods and pistons and rigns that are alittle size over get the cylinders bored to match the pistons. reassemble. shange to better turbos fuel system... computer.. but um. if your looking to make lots of power like that and still want a reliable car... dude... not really going to happen. if you rebuild the motor put it all together properly and make like around 400whp you can get it pretty reliable since you built it with much stronger internals. however. non of tis wil be cheap if thats what your thinking about as well. this is a VERy expensive car. and hard to work on. you might be better off just rebuilding the motor for now if you have that money so you have a fresh strong block.. and finish it off after dental school when you have a job.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Thank You.. So if I was to stay in the 400HP range with the other mods you mentioned I would be safe for awhile.. So what type of Turbo would you reccommend.. I basiclly want to have the car reliable but at the same time if I'm gonna spend the money I want upgrades as well.. Thanks Again
Old 12-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Über User

haha... im no professional. just good general knowledge... i think the popular turbo is sport 500 turbos or something... search best turbo. you will see threads about turbos in the title.. make sure they are in the z32 section... you will find it. use the search function it has lots of info.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:44 AM

Your equation doesn't add up here.....
You just graduated. You're working as a waiter, not making much money until you go away to dentist school. You want your Z to be at the SGP stage VIII. Stage 8 is going to cost you approximately $6k and that doesn't count installation. You also want it to be reliable so you don't have to worry about it much when you're at school. Here's a newsflash....you own a 13 year old car High Performace Sportscar. These things need constant maintenance. Sorry to say this, but what you want it a fairytale.

Let's say the fairytale comes true...
For the mods you're talking about through SGP,...the stock block and internals are absolutely fine. No need to open it up. Instead of the NOS, I recommend larger injectors. I've never been a fan of NOS,...never will be. Larger injectors make producing that much horsepower safer.

If I were in your shoes right now, I would go with an JWT POP charger, cat back exhaust and an ECU....maybe an EBC. That'll put you at about 400HP at the flywheel. When you get out of dental, then you should have more fun with it since you would probably be able to afford it.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Über User

thats what i was getting at. unless he has money to blow like crazy^^
Old 12-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
sounds like you need to kee po your z stock for a while. that's no biggie--they last 300k miles, drive great and cost less when ya keep stock.
easier to mod when ya have all themoney in the world and no school to plan for. more reliability with straight stock, from my observation.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Über User

a TTZ 300k miles??? eh... it could be done.. but driving like a grandma and keeping up perfect on maintanince.... and replacing everything that breaks and what not... but i have yet to hear of a TTZ at 300k and still driving like its worth keeping.....
Old 12-10-2006, 09:03 AM

300k can happen with the right maintenance and respect for just about any quality vehicle on the road today. Last time I checked, the 300z was a quality vehicle. Problem is, most of the Z's on the road today have been abused at one point in their life.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
a TTZ 300k miles??? eh... it could be done.. but driving like a grandma and keeping up perfect on maintanince.... and replacing everything that breaks and what not... but i have yet to hear of a TTZ at 300k and still driving like its worth keeping.....
yep and i bet you that when this happens it will rain Ducks,
Old 12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I hate when this happens. You guys are ENTIRELY underestimating the engineering behind the VG30DETT. Talk to Stan (PlumCrazy2+2TT on tt.net)... better yet, look at his post...

http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...msg_id=1890527

Eric, he lives here in Chicagoland... he bought his car new and it's been his daily driver ever since (including winter). He's past 300k now, and he's been pushing over 600bhp (with nitrous and Sport 600 turbos IIRC) since the mid-90s. If the engine is well cared for, it needs no work.

Hell, I was pushing 430+rwhp for quite a while around 146k miles... it ended up dying when I accidentally overboosted.

Even Sean Wagner was doing 744.4rwhp on an essentially STOCK block (swain coated stock pistons), so upgraded internals aren't even completely essential for big power (though they are nice). There was another guy who did 751rwhp around the same time with a stock LONG BLOCK (yes, that includes stock cams and no porting/polishing).

So people, don't tell him to do stuff that isn't necessary. Why should he do anything with his engine if it's healthy? Greg Dupree was pulling 10s on a 300ZX with over 100k on the odometer before he pushed it too far, blew it, and rebuilt it to run 9s.

So let me answer this entire post by saying "don't do anything that doesn't need to be done." If your compression is fine (do a compression and leakdown test - search will answer what that is if you need it) and the engine is not leaking any fluids, don't bother touching it. There's a stage chart to help you pick your modifications.

Sure, built internals are always nice... but the best philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

[/thread]

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 12-10-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Über User

he sounded like he really wanted to do that stuff... who am i to say dont lol. but thanks for that link very cool...

i especially like how he had his car for 49k days... aka 135 years lol.... that was classic.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 12-10-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Eric, he lives here in Chicagoland... he bought his car new and it's been his daily driver ever since (including winter). He's past 300k now, and he's been pushing over 600bhp (with nitrous and Sport 600 turbos IIRC) since the mid-90s. If the engine is well cared for, it needs no work.
oh ok yeah I was sleeping when the ducks started pouring.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 PM

Like I said,...with the right maintenance.