300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 AM

turbos

Is it safe to put turbos on a non-turbo engine for a 90 300zx? how much hell would it be to do? any ideas?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Read this first: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/how-make-n-faster-swap-mass-merge-thread-658/
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Über User

yeah TRY to read all that, in the end though, your wasting time and money. buy a turbo car. that or if you happen to have a slicktop or convertible you love or even a 2+2 the cars that never came to the states turbo then get a turbo front clip and do a full motor swap. dont bother trying to just stick turbo's on a non turbo motor though
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'm pretty sure that every person who has bolted turbos onto the non-turbo engine has blown the non-turbo engine.

Do some research to learn why turbocharged engines require lower compression ratios and stronger internals.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Pr0n Addict

again, this has been discussed to death in tons of places on the web. your options with the N/A are not near what they are with the tt. if you want to make it faster, you are looking at a big job for that turbo swap. notice i said swap, not conversion. conversion would be bolting the turbos on, swap is putting a whole turbo engine in.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Bolting turbos on would not be a "conversion." A conversion is something that changes one thing to another... in which case, a TT conversion would constitute a motor swap, rear end swap + HICAS, suspension swap, etc... the end result would basically be a real TT.

But a TT swap is a motor swap. Bolting turbos onto a non-turbo Z32 engine doesn't have a name... other than "bad idea."
Old 01-09-2009, 12:55 AM

The N/A engine CAN have turbos bolted to it and they WILL work...for a time...keep in mind your N/A motor doesn't have that level of "hardcore" when it comes to...well, damn near everything. Do it right or don't do it at all...and if you half *** it, well...be prepared to buy a new Z.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
The N/A engine CAN have turbos bolted to it and they WILL work...for a time...keep in mind your N/A motor doesn't have that level of "hardcore" when it comes to...well, damn near everything. Do it right or don't do it at all...and if you half *** it, well...be prepared to buy a new Z.
Sad thing is that are some dumbasses out there that will read this and then go on to tell other dumbasses that turbos on an N/A will work.

Actually, just bolting turbos on an N/A would probably work as long as you don't step on the gas. Evening starting the car would probably be a bad idea. Let's see, we'd need the turbos, manifolds, downpipes, intercoolers, larger injectors, all of the intercooler piping, and that's just scratching the surface. Even with this, the car would have significant issues. This dumbass idea rapidly becomes more expensive than a swap; which again, many have spoken about but few have actually completed. It all comes down to this....if you want a turbo Z, then buy a complete turbo Z. Don't try to cut corners.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM

alright well i was thinking about other parts like a sort ram or cool air intake. any ideas on parts for proformance for na?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
caught the z fever

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showp...83&postcount=2
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by 300zgearhead
alright well i was thinking about other parts like a sort ram or cool air intake. any ideas on parts for proformance for na?
the z32 intake is really already a cold air intake. you could always change the stock filter box for a K&N for a likely net gain of .02hp.

really, you won't get any significant gains out of the NA motor unless you spend a LOT of money. and even then, you are looking at aroud 300hp tops. the BEST (and most cost effective) way to get more HP out of a z32 is to sell your NA and buy a factory Twin Turbo. if you have a slicktop or 2+2 and you love it, the second best option is a full TT motor swap.

the other option is to just be happy with the fact that you have a damn fine NA sports car. the z32 NA is still a great car. might not be the fastest thing on the road, but it holds it's own and is a wonderful car to drive.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Bolting turbos on would not be a "conversion." A conversion is something that changes one thing to another... in which case, a TT conversion would constitute a motor swap, rear end swap + HICAS, suspension swap, etc... the end result would basically be a real TT.

But a TT swap is a motor swap. Bolting turbos onto a non-turbo Z32 engine doesn't have a name... other than "bad idea."
i see. i read an article that was misleading on those definitions. thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by 300zgearhead
alright well i was thinking about other parts like a sort ram or cool air intake.
http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=ram+air+myth

ram air is a myth. you already have a pretty well designed air box. there isn't much upgrading that's worth doing for the N/A in most opinions. you will get very little gain for a lot of money.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:11 PM

Like everyone have said, if you want a TT then get a TT. However, I did have a TT swap done to my Z, minus the HICAS. Only reason why I did this is because I have a vert and I had it since my college days. Lost of good times.

If you have a vert, slick, 2+2, ok. If not, then just get the TT.

It's cheaper that way. Trust me.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Wow...that's hilarious. That's so original. Where'd you ever find that....oh, that's right...that was from Zlover. I'm not sure if you're quite to the point in your very young zdriver/Z32 owner career to start being a smartass. Stick to what you know best.....not sure what that is yet, but I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Pr0n Addict

ok dude. i'll remember that...

have you ever re-told a joke that you heard someone else say? if so, you're coming off as a bit of a hypocrite right about now. i realize that zlover used it first. so do most other people here. i choose to use it again... so shoot me....

do you realize that you've resorted to bashing me for (in the case of this post) absolutely nothing? it really bothered you that much that i used letmegooglethatforyou? i'm sorry i invited myself into the elite club of super forum-goers that is allowed to use it. i don't see what i've done to you that makes you feel like giving me crap for everything i say. i can just scroll through your posts and ignore it, but i'm just inquiring as to where this crap comes from now. if you have a grudge at me, let me know why, and i'll take back whatever offending thing i said, apologize, and we can get over it. if not, let's try to find more constructive ways to criticize kasbekz uhm kay bud? ooops... someone said that one before me too....

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 01-10-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Über User

hmmmm.... your both acting like kids imho

anywho, stop thread jacking this enlightening topic! is revolutionary and we could all learn something from it! err..... well.... just shhhh.... he's a bit cranky and has a slight grudge on you for past posting, nothing you said towards him i think just your general posting habits and unfortunately you cant fix that with words only time and sense. in the mean time.... dont gotta bash a repost of a joke, i do myself believe in giving credit where credit is due, but a bit harsh on the kid dont yah think? not like he stole original creative material directly from zlover's mind.

story over.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
The Good Twin

0h snapz crackle n p0pz!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by NismoPick
0h snapz crackle n p0pz!
now THAT'S some good insight, scratch EVERYTHING i just said and listen to this guy

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 01-11-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
ok dude. i'll remember that...

do you realize that you've resorted to bashing me for (in the case of this post) absolutely nothing? ...

I did the same thing to snw....consider it your initiation. The initiation continues until I feel that you actually know your a$$ from a hole in ground when it comes to Z's. I'm not feeling it yet. You've given quite a bit of pretty lousy advise....most recently the piece on not worrying about a fuel leak...that was classic.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Yeah, people tolerate me being a condescending ***** because my input is routinely valuable. As was just said, once you are recognized as someone who knows what the hell they're talking about, you'll earn the right to talk like an expert.

On the other hand, you didn't come off as condescending as I'm sure I do many times, so the use of letmegooglethatforyou seemed to be more playful than anything. I didn't think it was a bad post, but I understand that the old(er) school members wouldn't want you posting like that until you're more reputable.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:15 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i can pee farther than everyone else!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by entropy31
i can pee farther than everyone else!
LIES!!!! i have proof
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
I did the same thing to snw....consider it your initiation. The initiation continues until I feel that you actually know your a$$ from a hole in ground when it comes to Z's. I'm not feeling it yet. You've given quite a bit of pretty lousy advise....most recently the piece on not worrying about a fuel leak...that was classic.
i didn't say not to worry about the fuel leak. i said not to pay a mechanic tons of money to do an easy fix like that.

i won't deny that i've given a bit of bad advise. i've posted without thinking things through a few times. i'm working on it.

but you can keep being an internet tough guy, talking down to me, and i'll keep making whatever joke i want. can you handle it?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM
The Good Twin

Here's a precious lil tip for everyone: BE CLEAR IN YOUR POSTS, AND ALSO USE YOUR BRAIN TO UNDERSTAND OTHER PEOPLES POSTS.

Yay!

Even I can admit I need to work on that.....

Quick Reply: turbos