300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Turbo timer install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 PM
turboZdriver

Turbo timer install

i have a greddy auto timer. i got the harness for it and its all hooked together. i just cant find the plug in the car where i need to hook into. i took the part under the steering wheel apart and looked for plugs it would hook into al to no avail. is it even in the interior of the car? is it under the hood somewhere? if so, how should i come through the firewall to get the damned thing inside the car? anyone have a turbo timer? same one prefferably who has gone through this before? thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:24 PM

hey, i can answer ur question b/c I just got finished puttin one on my '92 NA. Dont ask me why i out it on a NA, but i did.

Anyway, u will need to pull of the knee panel on the drivers side. It is four 10mm bolts and u must slide it upward to free it. U will then need to remove all 6 phillips head screws holding the steering column panels on.

With this out of your way you will need to remove the a/c vent duct work that runs across the lower driver side compartment. It will take some finess, but it will come of. Be warned though, it does have a small temp sensor on it that doesnt need to be disconected. but dont break it either!

Now, U will need a 12mm socket to remove the metal bracket the is now exposed. It isabout 4" wide and about 6" long running towards ur feet. U cant miss it. To this, most of ur ignition switch wires are held. You are looking for a large WHITE conector that should be zip tied to the bracket. There is only one way to intall the harness, so u cant get it wrong.

Depending on where u are mounting the timer. U can now run the harness to where ever u desire. I mounted mine where the factory clock was.

Your other two wires, the purple and brown ones will require more work to install. If u dont opt to use these wires I highly suggest that u reconsider and atleast wire up the brown wire. if you read in your manual, this is a parking brake sensor. Once installed, it will automatically shut ur car off in the event that someone accidentally drops the parking break. That and it will prevent the car from being stolen when in the count down mode.

If you have any other questions, I all be happy to answer. I can also post a few picks i you would like. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
hey, i can answer ur question b/c I just got finished puttin one on my '92 NA. Dont ask me why i out it on a NA, but i did.

Anyway, u will need to pull of the knee panel on the drivers side. It is four 10mm bolts and u must slide it upward to free it. U will then need to remove all 6 phillips head screws holding the steering column panels on.

With this out of your way you will need to remove the a/c vent duct work that runs across the lower driver side compartment. It will take some finess, but it will come of. Be warned though, it does have a small temp sensor on it that doesnt need to be disconected. but dont break it either!

Now, U will need a 12mm socket to remove the metal bracket the is now exposed. It isabout 4" wide and about 6" long running towards ur feet. U cant miss it. To this, most of ur ignition switch wires are held. You are looking for a large WHITE conector that should be zip tied to the bracket. There is only one way to intall the harness, so u cant get it wrong.

Depending on where u are mounting the timer. U can now run the harness to where ever u desire. I mounted mine where the factory clock was.

Your other two wires, the purple and brown ones will require more work to install. If u dont opt to use these wires I highly suggest that u reconsider and atleast wire up the brown wire. if you read in your manual, this is a parking brake sensor. Once installed, it will automatically shut ur car off in the event that someone accidentally drops the parking break. That and it will prevent the car from being stolen when in the count down mode.

If you have any other questions, I all be happy to answer. I can also post a few picks i you would like. Good luck!
Can you post a pic of the mounting?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Oh the dash backet where u hook up the turbo timer? Or the mount I made?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:19 PM

Oh the dash backet where u hook up the turbo timer? Or the mount I made?
I meant the mount you made but how bout both?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:05 PM
turboZdriver

id like to see some pics of it all as well. ive had the timer for months and months. bout time to git er done.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 PM

Sorry for the slow response..my camera has been missin and i finally found it.
Here is the pic u guys are askin for. I couldnt find oue of the bracket..but it isnt anything spectacu;ar anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo timer install-turbo-timer.jpg  
Old 03-25-2005, 02:27 PM

Sorry for the slow response..my camera has been missin and i finally found it.
Here is the pic u guys are askin for. I couldnt find oue of the bracket..but it isnt anything spectacu;ar anyway.
Looks good! You didn't even have to dremel like most do. Very clean looking.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:58 PM

Inially i thought about dremelin out the slot to make it mount flush..but i thought that would be a big risk in permanently messing up that part. I like havin it receased b/c it looks like it is somewhat factory. It wasn't that hard to build either. It actually bolts to the clock mounts using the factory clockk screws. I ll try to get the pics of my bracket tomorrow.