300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

My 300 wouldn't start...help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 PM

My 300 wouldn't start...help?

Ok the other day my 300 would not start the other day. But then when I had the tow truck come the next day to take it to the nissan dealer to have it worked on it started right up. Could any one tell me why this happened. I had put some white face guages in 2 days b4 it happened....could it be that....a lose wire or something? If any one could give me their opinion I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 PM

Were gonna need more info than that. It could be any number of things from major to minor. What were the symptoms? What had been done to it before hand? And what all did u unplug or mess with?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:39 PM

All I did was take the whole gauge assy. off unpluged everything from the back and then put it back together just like i took it apart. It has been running fine since i have had it....sometimes its hard to start because it has a ECU upgrade. I have been told that sometimes the sercity system can mess up or the cam position can get messed up to.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 PM

run the codes on it now that its running
Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 PM

A decent ECU upgrade shouldnt be messin w ur alarm system or ability to start up. Unless there is somethin wrong with your compter. If all you did was remove the gauge panelm go back and make sure you didnt accidentally unhook your wiring harness for your ignition switch...its on the column. Other than that look for codes and start with the basics. Make sure you have the three essential of fuel, spark, and air. That and do a visual check, make sure all sensors are plugged in. Jiggle them a bit to make sure the are all secure.

Would the car turn over? OR would it just sit there and do nothing?
Old 03-24-2005, 02:43 PM

yeah we cant figure things out if your more specific especially since were not there
Old 03-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
A decent ECU upgrade shouldnt be messin w ur alarm system or ability to start up. Unless there is somethin wrong with your compter. If all you did was remove the gauge panelm go back and make sure you didnt accidentally unhook your wiring harness for your ignition switch...its on the column. Other than that look for codes and start with the basics. Make sure you have the three essential of fuel, spark, and air. That and do a visual check, make sure all sensors are plugged in. Jiggle them a bit to make sure the are all secure.

Would the car turn over? OR would it just sit there and do nothing?
can u explain how and where to check the spark and air?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:26 PM

well it would turn over I cheaked for cas because i moved the gas needle when I put the guages in and guessed at where it was, but it had plenty of gas. My friend told me that he thinks it could have been the seruity system. He has had a corvette and he said his would get messed up and turn the ignition off. Anyways I have had the car running perfect for two weeks now so Im hoping it wont happen again.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by gamemannn
can u explain how and where to check the spark and air?
U have many different ways to check for spark..some safer than others.

One way is to unplug the coil packs one at a time. When u do this listen for a change in the engine. If everything is working CORRECTLY, then the engine will start spitting and sputtering ( U just pissed the car off). If the engine doesnt change, then there is something wrong with that cylinder.

The other way is to un bolt the coil pack ( or get another one if u have a spare), leaving it plugged it to the harness and inserting either a spare spark plug or spark plug tester into the coil pack. If u use the spark plug tester, all u will have to do is to clip it onto a good ground, like a bolt. If u use just a regular spark plug, then u will need to call a good buddy and have him hold the spark plug's tip near a good ground. With ur buddy holding the spark plug, turn the engine over a few times without starting it. If the spark plug is firing u will see a bolt of electricity jump from the spark plug to the ground. Unfortunately, ur buddy has a very good chance of getting a shock. It isnt fatal, but he will remember it.

If u opt to use the spark plug tester, then all ur buddy will have to do is watch the spark plug will u turn the motor over a few times. This way is alot safer, and highly recomended.

To check for air, I mean just look at the air filters condition to see if its good. Check to make sure the throttle bodies are opening right. This isnt real technical, just something to do to eliminate all possible problems

nka04a
If its ur secuity system, then i think there is a relay for it. I may be wrong, but if i remember correctly there is one hidden in one of the kick panels. Passenger side i think. These relays wear out over time and may stick. U could have a relay goin bad. Can any one add to this? Am i right or wrong?