300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Timing Belt Change - Stage 3 Goals - What Else Should I Do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM

Timing Belt Change - Stage 3 Goals - What Else Should I Do?

Hi All,

New to the forum, but not entirely new to car mechanics or even Z repairs, and would love some input from the forum on how to go about my build. I recently picked up a '91 TT with about 90k and my ultimate goal is to take it somewhere around a Stage 3. The Z came with a Borla cat-back quad tip, and the only other upgrade I've done thus far has been a JWT intake.

Before I go forward with any more HP upgrades, I want to make sure the fundamentals are sound. First item on this list is to go with a timing belt replacement, as it isn't clear if this was done at 60k or not - everything runs great, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. A couple questions while I've got the whole front end off:

1) In addition to the timing belt, drive belts, water pump, t-stat, misc seals/springs, I'd like to replace the pulleys. I was planning on going with an underdrive crank pulley as I understand it can add a little bit of power. However, not clear on what the better choice is, AMS or UR pulleys. I've read quite a few threads going back and forth on this, and would love to hear any more opinions.

2) In addition to replacing all of these things above, are there any other recommended fixes, replacements, etc. that I should do while I have the access?

Lastly, once I've completed this repair, any suggestions on further upgrades up to around the Stage 3 area? I'm planning on completing the intake and exhaust with a JWT ecu upgrade, but did not want to get to a point where upgraded injector or cooling capabilities was required (at least for now.)

Again, any and all feedback is encouraged, looking forward to getting this thing purring while she's garaged up for the winter.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Ruff Ryder

Fallow the timing belt and TB coolant bypass guide, go UR, AMS is a cheap chinese copy of legitimate parts made and engineered by people who actually care about the cars they go on. Also get the entire pulley kit, you won't disappointed. As for a tune, I would go ASH eprom, or nistune and a custom tune, After that, get a boost controller and you should have all you really need to have some modest fun.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks Hoov, I'll likely proceed as such.