300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Timing belt change

replace the stud - it's a 2-3$ part that has been through at LEAST 13 years of heat stress.

I know of 2 people who's bolts broke on them, and one of those was 2 weeks after opting not to change it when they were having the belt done...

3$ vesus 300$+ if you gamble and lose...

you should check the timing afterwards but unless it's WAY off it shouldnt matter much. borrow a timing light or buy one, use it then bring it back. autozone may 'lend out' those, call and see, then it won't cost anything.

Old 05-01-2002, 10:22 AM

the timing cover on one of cars had the gasket bead stuff coming off. I took some gasket maker that comes in a can (like cheez whiz) and made new beads that were a little bit thicker than the old ones. (clean the covers with some dx-330 from ppg first and it'll stick real good)
I figure the old ones used to be thicker anyway before 14 years of heat.
if the nuts on the backplate are stripped the only solution i've found for that was to pick up a good backplate at the local yard.
If that's not an option (which for you may not be as it would require removing everything you just got finished bolting back on...) then try using a 10mm bolt that's long enough to pass all the way thru the nut on the backplate and put some loctite (not the superglue type, or maybe some rtv instead) and a nut on the end of it.
you could always grind off the nut that's on the backplate and use a shorter bolt, but not all of them are very accessible if you've already got it back on the engine.

you might also use a tap/die set and try cleaning the threads (on the backplate) or threading them a little larger and using different bolts.

you can buy new little rubber washers like on the orig bolts from the dealer, not sure how much they are. I ran across a whole bag of them at the junkyard that were brand spanking new! Guess prev owner was *thinking* he'd replace them before he/she totalled the car.... I imagine if those are missing it could make it rattle some too.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:31 PM

as long as nothing is hitting or rubbing against your belt you should be ok.

Personally I like the idea of having it protected from the elements, dust/dirt, small rocks, bugs and anything else that might try and find it's way in there.