300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Throttle Body

Have any of you heard of knife edging or taper bore?

A friend of mine is convinced by doing this to your throttle bodies, that you will decrease the turbulence and increase velocity of the incoming air to your intake manifold. What do you guys think?

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/o...albumview=grid

This is what he's done for an Acura owner. The pictures show the beginning to end process.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I've heard of it but I've never seen any convincing evidence of actual performance gains. It can never hurt to do that kind of work though - can't really negatively impact performance. So if you have the means, have fun. But I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I've heard of it but I've never seen any convincing evidence of actual performance gains. It can never hurt to do that kind of work though - can't really negatively impact performance. So if you have the means, have fun. But I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

Just the person I was looking for.

Thanks for the reply.

They look incredible in person. Very precise, and sharp. He's also porting and polishing an intake manifold, and later on do the heads. He's offer to do mine for free when I get the Z1's 58mm tbs. My heads are already port and polished so he wants to do the tbs and port match it to the manifold.

I was wondering by going so thin, would heat be an issue for durability?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 PM

What's the standard TB size ?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 PM

50mm.

The answer could've probably been found within 15 seconds by doing a quick search. Welcome to zdriver. Searching can be your best friend.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Cheers
Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by DropTopTwin
Just the person I was looking for.

Thanks for the reply.

They look incredible in person. Very precise, and sharp. He's also porting and polishing an intake manifold, and later on do the heads. He's offer to do mine for free when I get the Z1's 58mm tbs. My heads are already port and polished so he wants to do the tbs and port match it to the manifold.

I was wondering by going so thin, would heat be an issue for durability?
I doubt it. You'd have to go pretty thin before you had to worry about the integrity of the metal.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 AM

I doubt it. You'd have to go pretty thin before you had to worry about the integrity of the metal.
The edge of the tb looks pretty thin. Almost like a blade so I was wondering could that somehow crack due to the engine heat? I don't know if I'm asking right. lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
50mm.

The answer could've probably been found within 15 seconds by doing a quick search. Welcome to zdriver. Searching can be your best friend.

I did the forum search under throttle body knife edging and nothing came up, so I thought maybe I make a thread about it. I could of did the google search, but if there isn't already a topic covering throttle body knife edging, I thought it would be an interesting topic. This way other members could find something new, like nzniggles and his new knowledge of bigger throttle bodies for our Zs.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 AM

My post wasn't directed at you.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
My post wasn't directed at you.
Oops, my bad.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Your question was good. From what I've read on this, it increase airflow capacity by about 35%; which seems ggod on paper, but is it necessary....do you need more airflow at that point and do the modified TBS really cut down on the turbulence significantly. The main piece that is going create turbulence is the 'butterfly' inside the TB; which you can't really do much with. I've often contemplated the upgrade, but had never seen definitive results that showed it actually showed positive gains. It would probably be most beneficial it were coupled with the larger intercooler piping that I've seen advertised at several places along with the port and polsih job that you've already had done. I'd be very interested to see before and after dyno results. If you have money to burn, then I'd say go for it. There are however other upgrade that will probably yield higher gains for the $.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Über User

you could be the test mule if you want to dyno the car before and after. sure many would appreciate it but runs aren't to cheap. but if you never did it before might be interesting to see what your WHP is anyways.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 PM

....or just get that Dynolicious program.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM

I can't do it right away but as soon as I'm able I plan to post the before and after dyno readings. Even if I have to use the Dynolicious, I want to see if there will be any positive gains.

I just need to get the 58mm tbs. The work will be done for free by my buddy but even if he charged me, the 85bucks for tb knifing edging isn't too expensive.

I will be the test monkey and I will post the results soon.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

If you want real horsepower numbers, strap it to a dyno. For dynolicious to be even remotely accurate, you need to basically know the exact weight of the car at the time of testing and you need a perfect launch (including traction, which becomes harder to maintain with more power), else the results will be far off. Dynamometers are always decently accurate unless the operator is a moron (which I have encountered), in which case, you consult a mathematician like myself to adjust the results to correctly show horsepower numbers.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 AM

If you want real horsepower numbers, strap it to a dyno. For dynolicious to be even remotely accurate, you need to basically know the exact weight of the car at the time of testing and you need a perfect launch (including traction, which becomes harder to maintain with more power), else the results will be far off. Dynamometers are always decently accurate unless the operator is a moron (which I have encountered), in which case, you consult a mathematician like myself to adjust the results to correctly show horsepower numbers.

I will definitely let you and the board know of the results once I get them. Thanks for that offer.