300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

test pipe help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Über User

test pipe help

ok, so i got some test pipes/mid pipes for my n/a. well almost done removing the midpipes and i realize, hey, theres no O2 bungs in these. now here is what i wonder, if ran without an O2 reading will all that happen is the ecu sets off a fault code and runse my car at like half its potential or is there more? im still not gonna do i just want to know. second off. where the hell would i get Z32 90 n/a o2 sensors? and would this be a good time to get wide band ones? i can get the wide band O2 sensors from Z performance stores i know, but what about just stock ones who would carry those? any like normal automotive stores? like murreys, autozone, pepboys, napa? stuff like that. i dotn know which route to go, so throw me some input. thanks all.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Über User

mabye i jumped on that wide band O2 sensor to fast, cause all i need are the O2 sensor bungs, right?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 PM

maybe im krazy but i thought that stock 02 sensors were on the headers?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:16 AM

They are...pop your hood. The O2s are on the top side of your stock exhaust manifolds. The test pipes do not have anything on them.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:39 AM
caught the z fever

those holes are for your AIVs. they heat up the cats. you dont need them anymore once you delete the cats, so you can take them out if you want. they are located behind the front wheel wells
Old 05-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Über User

really? awsome, i prolly shoulda guess they werent O2 sensors cuase most are right up there and plus, they were tubes not a little probe with wires. thats cool as hell. now im off to go finish what a started. man i feel dumb, but meh. must keep on fightin and finish my mission
Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Über User

DAAAHAHA, i am finished, and let me tell you, i wouldnt mind holding a knife out infront of me and running into a wall. all this week, on top of breaking up with my gf, failing my last math test, losing hours at my job, and some other stupid crap, my test pipes are finally defeated. i had a hell of a time doing it. because of stupid nissan, you all know how those mid pipes bolt up to our exhaust manifold with that stud and nut sort of design, kinda like how a whel mounts up to the wheel studs. well i broke all but 2. so i had to spend 5 hours cutting down the studs and then drilling them out just to bolt up my testpipes. if it werent for rust and and baking exhaust temps and those stupid nuts just came off, i coulda unbolted and bolted up those ****'s but noooo. anyways. got them done, now i have a louder smellier car, and the biggest sense of satisfaction in the world. if i had to recommend one thing to people doing this. plast the crap out of those nuts with PB blaster and let them soak for 4 hours. come back with liquid wrench and drench them and let that sit a few hours do it again and let it sit overnight. come back and then try. otherwise your gonna be breakin studs and drillin out holes.
p.s. for ebay pipes these fit pretty good, and instead of cats they got some really useless looking resonators. and they are shiney...... now i get my new hks exhaust and out with the old crappy leaky custom one and im set for a while. but my arms hurt i feel like crap so time for sleepy

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 05-17-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Snazzy Title

Hehehe,

Yah been there done that one on the test pipes. But nothing you do is going to change that, get a propane torch, soak them in pblaster. Put a wrench on it and tap the wrench with a hammer just gently. Then take your torch heat hte bolts and tap again, rinse repeat till they come lose.

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
DAAAHAHA, i am finished, and let me tell you, i wouldnt mind holding a knife out infront of me and running into a wall. all this week, on top of breaking up with my gf, failing my last math test, losing hours at my job, and some other stupid crap, my test pipes are finally defeated. i had a hell of a time doing it. because of stupid nissan, you all know how those mid pipes bolt up to our exhaust manifold with that stud and nut sort of design, kinda like how a whel mounts up to the wheel studs. well i broke all but 2. so i had to spend 5 hours cutting down the studs and then drilling them out just to bolt up my testpipes. if it werent for rust and and baking exhaust temps and those stupid nuts just came off, i coulda unbolted and bolted up those ****'s but noooo. anyways. got them done, now i have a louder smellier car, and the biggest sense of satisfaction in the world. if i had to recommend one thing to people doing this. plast the crap out of those nuts with PB blaster and let them soak for 4 hours. come back with liquid wrench and drench them and let that sit a few hours do it again and let it sit overnight. come back and then try. otherwise your gonna be breakin studs and drillin out holes.
p.s. for ebay pipes these fit pretty good, and instead of cats they got some really useless looking resonators. and they are shiney...... now i get my new hks exhaust and out with the old crappy leaky custom one and im set for a while. but my arms hurt i feel like crap so time for sleepy