300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Replacing whole exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 AM

Replacing whole exhaust system?

Hey everybody i just picked up a 90 N/A Manuel 300ZX coupe recently and wanted to ask some questions because im pretty damn new when it comes to fixing cars and what not.

But yeah i want to replace the exhaust on my 300zx because the thing is so old, brittle and rusted it could probably fall off anytime now, i could just hear it everytime i drive to the point where its scary. The owner i bought it from says just need to change the muffler but im thinking i need to change everything that connects to the muffler?

I wanted to ask if i buy a exhaust system does it come with the whole pipes like the mid pipes (thats the pipe that run under the whole car right?)

Because i dont know if i need to replace everything that has to do with the exhaust(to be on the safe side id replace everything from the downpipe all the way down to the muffler) Is there anything else that needs to be listed to be replaced? Like i dont know the all the part names that connect to the exhaust. Also how much would it cost?

Last edited by Rain; 06-13-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 AM

Also did i mention the sound of the muffler sounds like its dragging on the floor when its really not?

But everytime i drive the car it just sounds so damn loud in the car and i dont know why? maybe its the whole exhaust system from the part that connects to the downpipes all the way to the mufflers? or is it just the exhaust that needs to be replaced? sounds like im in a space ship when i drive the car and idk if thats how it should sound like.

Last edited by Rain; 06-14-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Hey, welcome to ZDriver! Congratulations on buying the Z. I also have a `90 NA. When I got mine I had none (salvage) and just threw on a couple of Magnaflow XLs that were meant for my Trans-Am that has a MUCH larger engine, so due to that my exhaust sounds awful. BECAUSE of that I've been looking at exhausts for a long time now but never getting one since I am technically street legal albeit annoying.

The exhaust kits that I've been looking at come as complete assemblies ready to bolt on, but they are expensive compared to going to a muffler shop starting at $800 which is what you would expect to pay for a custom job.

The benefit I found with buying a kit over that custom job is you never know what you're going to get with a hand made/installed setup. The local muffler shop might just throw pipes up and weld them without any regard for flow (or quality).

If you do your research, a kit is designed as a direct replacement and is tuned for a clean flow. The welds are done off the car and are usually more complete. The pipes and mufflers are specifically for your car and not just pulled off a shelf.

The exhaust kits I've found are essentially in two halfs: The catalytic converters and the cat-back kit. The cats themselves are pipes and converters and cover from where they bolt onto the exhaust manifold (headers) to the cats right before they bolt onto the crossflow pipe. The cat backs go from there all the way to the exhaust tips.

I personally, am looking at getting a LaBree catback with Random Tech hi-flow catalytic converters which is a complete exhaust replacement (minus exhaust manifold).

That being said this spaceship sound your talking about.. you mean it sounds like your car is about to take off? Is it a whirring sound? Does it increase and decrease with your engine or with your actual speed? Normally when I hear a "spaceship" sound it's because bearings are going bad.

Last edited by jverz; 06-13-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 AM

[/QUOTE]I personally, am looking at getting a LaBree catback with Random Tech hi-flow catalytic converters which is a complete exhaust replacement (minus exhaust manifold).
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to help me out.

Id want a complete exhaust replacement from the 20+ year old stock exhaust but is the hi-flow catalytic converter needed?? Im looking at a megan racing type 2 exhaust or a borla 15230. I just need to replace my whole exhaust system for now because im afraid the the whole piping and exhaust might just fall off my Z while im driving on the freeway D:

and how much do u think the labor would be?

-Thanks

Last edited by Rain; 06-14-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 AM

If you want to replace your WHOLE exhaust you need both a cat-back and a cat-forward. If there's nothing wrong with one side just replace the one that's bad. Have you looked at your exhaust to see what needs to be replaced?

Flat rate times for the exhaust are 1.2 hours for the catalytic converters and 0.9 for the cat-back. Around here that would be a little over $200 in labor. If the kit is already assembled and welded you really should just do it yourself. An exhaust kit is one of the easiest bolt ones you can do.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Horsepower Mathematician

But if Rain doesn't have a jack or stands then that's $200 right there. I agree though if you've got those you should install it yourself.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rupe
But if Rain doesn't have a jack or stands then that's $200 right there. I agree though if you've got those you should install it yourself.
He has to have one friend in the world with some he can borrow!

(If he doesn't I legitimately feel sorry for him!)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
He has to have one friend in the world with some he can borrow!

(If he doesn't I legitimately feel sorry for him!)
I dont D: maybe i should buy some? Which jack stand do you recommend? Because the last thing i want is the car falling on top of me while im putting an exhaust on it..

Whats a cat-forward? Is it the catalytic converter or is it the downpipe? Im pretty sure my headers and downpipe are fine.

So a exhaust system kit should come with everything(not including the downpipe and headers of course)? This is the exhaust kit im looking at
CBS-N300T2 Megan Racing Exhaust Systems - Type 2 (2.25" Inlet / 2.5" Pipe / Oval Muffler w/ 4" Tip) for 90-96 Nissan 300zx at Andy's Auto Sport

Would i have to buy anything else?

And idk if its just the muffler because sometimes i could hear the sound right under the passenger side, maybe it has messed up the piping as well?

I bought the car for around 2500 and i kinda wanted to be able to work on the car myself but dont have the necessary tools or experience yet.

Last edited by Rain; 06-14-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Horsepower Mathematician

Originally Posted by Rain
I bought the car for around 2500 and i kinda wanted to be able to work on the car myself but dont have the necessary tools or experience yet.
Definitely invest in a jack and stands then. I just went to Canadian Tire and got the highest rated tonnage jack stands they had. As for the jack I went with most vertical reach/most likely to fit under the car. They're pretty low if you haven't noticed
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM

I just got a new racing jack and some stands, too. The Craftsman one with the LEDs in it. I first mocked it but immediately found them useful.

Anyway, to answer your question more definitively: Buy a jack and jack stands (4 of them if you can), and a couple wheel chocks. I'm sure you will use them more than once.

Lift your car and go under it with a flashlight and look around. See what needs to be replaced THEN order the parts you need. Once you know what your exhaust looks like, the photos for what you buy will make more sense and you'll have a better idea of what's included.

FSM is a huge help too, or go to a Nissan parts store online that has microfiche. The parts diagrams are very useful. I prefer Courtesy Parts in Texas.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:30 AM

Oh yea and about that spaceship sound; i think its the "droning" of the stock cat converters.

I've decided to just go with the 2.25 resonated dual tipped Specialty Z exhausts with x-pipe, and the SZ 2.25 N/A test pipes with a Hi FLOW CAT attached.

Ill let you guys know how it sounds and probably post a video, thanks for the help guys. Probably will be around July or so since im waiting on my check and then i have to wait for shipping. Plan on working around 120hrs or so for my next check D:

Last edited by Rain; 06-26-2012 at 05:47 AM.