300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Über User

Exhaust system

Ok so on my Z32 right now i have new mufflers...well they arent new but they are different and they were welded on right where the axle back flange should be. then there are these stupid rectangular tips on them that look like a camaro would have. they **** me off and no longer shall they cuase i want a brand new full exhaust system. i want it loud and like canister strait through style mufflers, with dual angled mufflers, i think those are the nicest looking with the big 3 or 4 inch tips. my question is to all of you, what do you all like the best, out of personal experience. what would you suggest for overal in looks sound and performance based on what i described above?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Über User

actually if any one knows of a good priced system or wants to get rid of their exhaust system for a good price post it here cuase ill definatly be interested as long as its a canister style muffler system on it. no stock look for me.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:53 PM
confuzed member

HKS:
performance..good
sound....good
price...good
looks....horrible (IMO)

Labree:
performance...good
sound....amazing
price...a little high
looks....amazing

than again, I'm biased, but many others in the Z community agree.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

check out my Link Page and have a look thru the retailers.
also using search would be a good start.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:37 AM

I have on my NA Slick top the HKS HYPER EXHAUST ( the only true JDM looking exhaust) and Z1's NA test pipes.
LOOKS: Awesome
SOUND: LOUD AS HELL!
PRICE: ehh..$600 for the HKS and $250 for the test pipes. But it is almost a complete exhaust system.
PERFORMANCE: I ve gained quite a bit, expecially on the top end. However, I do notice I slight bit of bog or lag when I take off due to back pressure.

The only problem with being really loud is that fact that YOU WILL GET NOTICED. Im 18 yrs old and I have no problem with getting the local PDs attenion when I roll thru. I ve gotten pulled over lots of times by officers claiming that I was doing something I wasnt. And the first thing out of their mouths is that "they heard me". There is absolutely no sneaking around with the exhaust set up I have on. The car vibrates my whole house when it is idling in the garage. And can be heard for miles when I am getting on it hard.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:57 PM

Loud is ok, my concerns are always about TONE. Does it sound like a beast rumbling away, fat and happy on high octane or does it sound like someone farting with a coffee can over thier ***? This is the delema that keeps me from taking the new pipes plunge.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:13 AM

PM with your e mail info and I will send some video clips of my car with the Test pipes and HKS exhaust installed. And I will also send you some of my roommates NA Z with just the HKS Exhaust to let you hear the difference.

But I assure you that it DOES NOT SOUND RICEY or like the fart cans. It sets off car alarms. I have had numorous muscle car guys complement the sound of my car with the exhaust set up I have. But this exhaust is the most straight thru and least restrictive exhaust made for aftermarket for the Z32. I cannot find another set up that is close. Uninstalled I could drop a golf ball from one end of my exhaust system and get it to roll all the way thru to the other end with aboslutely no problem.

Another side note is that I have been reported many times shooting BLUE flames out of my exhaust. It doesnt happen often, but under certain circumstances i have had other cars pull up next to my saying they saw a flame pop out of my exhuaust......Thank god Local PD hasnt seen it yet
Old 12-29-2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
PM with your e mail info and I will send some video clips of my car with the Test pipes and HKS exhaust installed. And I will also send you some of my roommates NA Z with just the HKS Exhaust to let you hear the difference.

But I assure you that it DOES NOT SOUND RICEY or like the fart cans. It sets off car alarms. I have had numorous muscle car guys complement the sound of my car with the exhaust set up I have. But this exhaust is the most straight thru and least restrictive exhaust made for aftermarket for the Z32. I cannot find another set up that is close. Uninstalled I could drop a golf ball from one end of my exhaust system and get it to roll all the way thru to the other end with aboslutely no problem.

Another side note is that I have been reported many times shooting BLUE flames out of my exhaust. It doesnt happen often, but under certain circumstances i have had other cars pull up next to my saying they saw a flame pop out of my exhuaust......Thank god Local PD hasnt seen it yet
Thats what I'm looking for. Muscle car growl from a V6 without that annoying rice-boy ZOMG LOOKIT THE CANON MY CIVIC DOOD sound. The only email I give out is my hotmail and the attachemtn size is limited to like 2 meg, so that wont help. Just upload the clips to fileshack or something, I'm sure other folks would love to hear em too