300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

new engine?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 PM

new engine?!?!?

I want to put a new engine in my car all together. I've been fighting this code 11 so long and before that its been problem after problem. how tough is it to just pull the stock engine out and replace it with a lower mileage engine? my 300 is at 172k and I assume it's probably a broken or slipped tooth on the timing belt because the sensor is working when I turn it
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 AM
The Good Twin

Code 11 (CAS circuit) sounds like an electrical / sensor problem... not necessitating a complete engine replacement. A trip to Nissan to get that problem fixed will cost a lot less (in time and money) than doing a new engine swap... which still doesn't guarantee fixing "code 11".

And don't get offended, but if you can't diagnose the cause of code 11, and are asking "how tough is it to just pull the stock engine out?", you'll be in WAY over your head.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:41 PM

I have been round after round with this code 11. I think it may just be the timing belt. When we tried to start it after replacing a fuel injector the car almost started but then made a jarring abrupt stop. I've replaced sensor and pulled it off to spin it to find that my spark plug has spark and injectors click. I've checked the groundf11. I've cleaned out the connector and the cas connect.
I made sure the wires to the clip aren't loose in the clip. I took one side off the timing belt cover to see that it is intact and tight but seeing that the cas is working okay it leads me to believe that the belt may be off a tooth or snapped under the passenger or lower cover. If this is the case the loud jarring probably damaged the engine anyways? I believe all bases have been covered, unless you know of anything else. I just want it running again good so I can sell it.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Code 11 (CAS circuit) sounds like an electrical / sensor problem... not necessitating a complete engine replacement. A trip to Nissan to get that problem fixed will cost a lot less (in time and money) than doing a new engine swap... which still doesn't guarantee fixing "code 11".

And don't get offended, but if you can't diagnose the cause of code 11, and are asking "how tough is it to just pull the stock engine out?", you'll be in WAY over your head.
hey, I have a question. If i do find that my belt is snapped in a spot i can not see yet, how do i know if the engine isnt ruined? is there any signs i can look for? the car wasnt driving when it stopped. the car was trying to start up if that makes a difference. please help z guys! im debating a new timing belt since its about 1,000 dollars cheaper!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 AM
The Good Twin

If the timing belt is snapped, it should be fairly easy to know... The engine will sound very different... and I believe the VG30 is an "interference engine" which means if the timing belt breaks, the pistons will hit the valves.

Since you've been cranking it... the easiest thing to check is compression.