300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

How much horsepower...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:00 PM

How much horsepower...

How much horsepower (realistically) can one get out of the normally aspirated V6 in a 92 Z?

Regards,
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
The Good Twin

Depends on how much $ you have... Realistic for a teenager is prolly a lot different that realistic for a 35 year old Mechanical Engineer.

Have you read the sticky's about the Z32? There's lots of good info on mod'ing.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/how-make-n-faster-swap-mass-merge-thread-658/
Old 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

... less than 300 unless you're spraying. If you want horsepower, get a Twin Turbo... if you want a quick car to just cruise around in, stop worrying about making horsepower and drive your NA.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 PM

its almost like buying a v6 mustang and wanting to mod it. its just like why buy the low grade model and spend all kinds of money just to get it to eqaul the better engine. till your done making a 300 hp na you could have just bought a nice tt. oh and with a 140,000 you should baby it not race it around. i wouldnt go crazy with that thing.

Last edited by nismaniac; 03-22-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:52 PM

Funny....

That is not the response I honestly thought I would get.

I get that I should have bought a TT. I don’t have a TT, I have 2+2.

That having been said....

Money, although important is not a significant barrier given the Engineer part of the equation is met.

I think it would be fun to mod the normally aspirated V6 to make it compete with a TT. Since 300s did not come with the all aluminum V8 I don't have much choice but to mod the V6 it came with.

Obviously, no one really knows the answer to my question and I suppose I should have been more specific in asking it.

Based on material I have seen on the web I think it is possible given a 6,000 dollar budget to purchase a used motor (1400) and spend around 4 or 5 thousand dollars (all in good fun BTW) and get approximately 350 - 400 horsepower out of a motor.

Those who care to confirm my assumptions please feel free to entertain me; those who wish to chastise me for not buying the Vett or the TT....don't bother.

Regards,
Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 PM
The Good Twin

Don't get pissed bro... but yes, Do be specific in what you want to do w/ the car...

So 400hp is a good goal for a VG30DE... now make it happen.... NOS is prolly gunna be your helper w/ an n/a tho.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Thanks NismoPick

Thanks for the post. I was annoyed and I apologize for coming off rude.

I see that you live in Utah. Do you know of a Z club in Salt Lake?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
The Good Twin

yeppers!

http://www.zclubofutah.com/

Whas your location?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by VandiL
That is not the response I honestly thought I would get.

I get that I should have bought a TT. I don’t have a TT, I have 2+2.

That having been said....

Money, although important is not a significant barrier given the Engineer part of the equation is met.

I think it would be fun to mod the normally aspirated V6 to make it compete with a TT. Since 300s did not come with the all aluminum V8 I don't have much choice but to mod the V6 it came with.

Obviously, no one really knows the answer to my question and I suppose I should have been more specific in asking it.

Based on material I have seen on the web I think it is possible given a 6,000 dollar budget to purchase a used motor (1400) and spend around 4 or 5 thousand dollars (all in good fun BTW) and get approximately 350 - 400 horsepower out of a motor.

Those who care to confirm my assumptions please feel free to entertain me; those who wish to chastise me for not buying the Vett or the TT....don't bother.

Regards,
i dont think anyone was attempting to come off as rude, it was just friendly advice. had you mentioned the 6000 dollar budget in the first place you would have most likely got a completely different response. every other day theres someone asking about modding an n/a and they usaully have limited funds and expect 400hp. you can get an n/a engine for like 1100, exhaust, under drive pully, and pop charger for around a 1000, ecu flash not sure of price, some spray, price depends on the setup. just right there your looking in the 3500 range. from there "i" meaning what i would do is spend some cash on strengthing the engine. this was just a suggestion and the pricing was a guesstimate. theres a huge thread for n/a performance i believe. and theres deffinately other people who know alot more than me about a z32.

here you go check this out i forgot about this little thingy https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/stage-charts-14070/

Last edited by nismaniac; 03-22-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:40 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by nismaniac
its almost like buying a v6 mustang and wanting to mod it. its just like why buy the low grade model and spend all kinds of money just to get it to eqaul the better engine. till your done making a 300 hp na you could have just bought a nice tt. oh and with a 140,000 you should baby it not race it around. i wouldnt go crazy with that thing.
how DARE you compare my beloved z32 with a V6 muffstain . the NA z32 is a fully capable non-turbo sports car, not just some base model of the TT. i hate it when people ask if its a turbo and then say "oh, so you just got it for the looks?" no, i got it because i wanted a high performance non turbo sports car.

Last edited by entropy31; 03-22-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
how DARE you compare my beloved z32 with a V6 muffstain . the NA z32 is a fully capable non-turbo sports car, not just some base model of the TT. i hate it when people ask if its a turbo and then say "oh, so you just got it for the looks?" no, i got it because i wanted a high performance non turbo sports car.
hey calm down i have an n/a , i didnt mean it like that, i just meant if you wanted to have a z32 "street race car" why not just get the tt. am i not entitled to my own opinion.

Last edited by nismaniac; 03-23-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:59 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by nismaniac
hey calm down i have an n/a , i didnt mean it like that
i think you took that the wrong way. that first part with the smiley was purpousfully overexaggerated. the second part was just a little rant directed at nobody in particular.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
i think you took that the wrong way. that first part with the smiley was purpousfully overexaggerated. the second part was just a little rant directed at nobody in particular.
no no i was just playing around i just made a smiley edit right now so you would see that. but you are correct a z32 n/a is not to be compared with a v6 muffstain lol, i was trying to get my point accross but didnt use the best comparison.

Last edited by nismaniac; 03-23-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I'll put in 2 cents. You should be more than capable of getting 320 - 330 BHP out of these n/a motors. And if you know about motors, it won't cost you boat loads of money. You can relatively easily get the displacement up to 3.2 to 3.3 liters. The problem with these motors is that there are not alot of people building big h.p. with them so you're on your own. You need to learn, or find some engine builder that knows, what you want to do to get the h.p.

Besides increasing air flow & compression, and reducing reciprocating mass, I believe that playing with the VVT in these motors has the potential for additional h.p. gains. This by playing with the dynamic compression ratios and being able to run higher static compression numbers.

imho, If you wanna make better h.p. with these motors, one of the first things that has to go bye-bye is that ugly, restrictive, upper plenum and twin t/b set-up.

Currently, the highest n/a dyno chart that I've seen is around 220 RWHP. That puts the crank h.p. in the upper 270 range. The only internal mods were JWT cams. That's not too bad for stock internals, and shows good potential for improvement from a good build. If you're actually in the engineering field, then you should be able to sit down and do the math to determine what you want, and what you'll end up with.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:33 AM

That was more like it! :-)

Thanks all!

Ultimately what I was trying to achieve was a spirited discussion regarding the potential of the NA Z. I would like to apologize again for my ranting as I was initially put off by the "Why didn’t you buy a TT" that often accompanies a conversation about what kind of car I decided to purchase.

To be clear I would have preferred a TT but in my case this car came along and I jumped at the opportunity. Now that I have made my bed I have to sleep in it. I realize I could have waited but other than 140,000 miles the car is especially clean having been driven by some old man who enjoyed playing golf. Now that I have it, I love it but want it to be more competitive while driving around. If I can get a modest 330 or so horsepower out of it I will be beside myself with glee.

I have a lot to learn so I look forward to chatting more with all of you.

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 AM

I'm in Salt Lake City

I live in Salt Lake City. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by VandiL
Ultimately what I was trying to achieve was a spirited discussion regarding the potential of the NA Z.
lol..... I'm rather calloused up from this discussion topic myself. I never wanted a TT in the first place. Producing big h.p. numbers is only good for ones ego. I'm in the planning stages of building a new motor myself with the goal of having it ready to drop in before my current 122k mile motor dies.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Just to toss the idea out there (since I didn't see it mentioned yet)... for your budget, a TT swap is going to net more horsepower and it'll be more reliable in doing so (and it'll do it on pump gas without nitrous). To get over 300hp out of the VG30DE, you are going to need nitrous (reguardless of what some people think, Nissan did a fine job in squeezing as much horsepower out of the NA as possible - you won't get a 78hp increase with regular fuel in that engine). Seeing as how I feel that bottles are for babies and real men get blown, I think a TT swap is a much more viable candidate for your purposes and goals.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Jack Of All Trades

That wasn't his question, and he appears well aware of the TT vs n/a debate. So don't be so ignorant.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 03-23-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:17 PM

I could not....

Have said it better myself. Thanks CanyonCarver.

Regards,
Old 03-23-2006, 02:20 PM
The Good Twin

On a side note... good to see that ya joined ZCOU. Ya gunna hit up the sunset cruze this weekend?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:35 PM

Yes..

It sounds like a blast. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:11 PM

or you could just swap in a honda motor cause theyre good for 8 gagillion midwhp to the roof with just an intake and exhaust and stickers lots LOTSSSS of stickers. sorry bored
Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
That wasn't his question, and he appears well aware of the TT vs n/a debate. So don't be so ignorant.

... I'm not the one with illusions of making significant horsepower from a naturally aspirated VG30... therefore, I'm not quite the ignorant one...

(for the record, and no offense intended towards anyone, the ones who get upset when a TT swap is suggested are often the ones who have an inferiority complex... my single purpose on these forums is to help the 300ZX's of the world to be the best they can be, and if someone wants to make power, I'm going to suggest the truely easiest, most reliable, and safest way to do so... whether you like the truth or not)

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 03-24-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 PM

There are two types of people that want to make maximum horsepower from their naturally aspirated small displacement motor:
1) Racers. To meet class requirements or have higher octane fuel at their disposal.
2) People who don't understand the principles of making power.

Anyone who has to ASK how to make the maximum amount of power out of anything hasn't thought out the consequences of doing so.

Quick Reply: How much horsepower...