300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Headers + Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Dan's the Man

Headers + Exhaust question

I could use some help with a question I have.

I have AMZ headers sitting in my garage. I still have OEM exhaust on the Z with the plan to get a custom exhaust put on. The piping on the current exhaust is 2". The question is...Should I do both the header install and custom exhaust at the same time or is it fine to do the headers now and exhaust later?

I ask because I have read somewhere that the OEM exhaust might be too restrictive with the headers and possibly incease oil burn/consumption. Does that sound right to anyone?

The easy answer would be just to do them both at the same time and not worry about it but I live approx 2 hours away from anyone who will be able to do a quality custom exhaust job (bending, etc). The headers I can do in my garage now but the Z is NOT going out in this freakin tundra to get exhaust work done so that will have to wait for the freakin thaw (I am a Canadian who absolutely hates winter by the way).

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Perhaps what I have read is yet another useless piece of info from a site with people who post crap!!?? :doh:

Last edited by DanZ32; 01-09-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:40 AM
caught the z fever

i really dont know what would happen, but i would wait to do all of the exhaust work at the same time
let me know if/when you put those headers on because i am looking at getting some in a while
Old 01-09-2005, 09:54 AM

You know there are only about two ways to put headers on a N/A Z. Either tear the motor apart down to the heads or pull the motor completely out. If u try and do it in the car, expect a few banged up knuckels.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

ever considered buying a premade quality exhaust instead of going to a shop to have it done?
It might be the more expensive option, but i don't think you'll regret it.
Specialty Z you'll see if you ask around makes some of the best exhausts for the Z.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Dan's the Man

WhtFairLadyZ ... http://www.ttzd.com/tech/headerstech.html
Definately will be an experience with a few banged up knuckles no doubt. I'll have some help from a Nissan mechanic to guide me/consult when and if I run to a problem.

Rizz...I've talked a lot to Greg and he has put together a good price for a complete system but to his admission the system will be very loud. Also, when I factor in the exchange rate and shipping then brokerage and duty....it gets up there in $$.
I run into pretty much the same issue with anything pre-made.

I'm thinking I can get a very good system made and better manage the sound going with someone up here.

Anyone have any thoughts on the increased oil burn/consumption part?
Old 01-09-2005, 06:44 PM

I am running the HKS Hiper system on my car..and i have noticed something. I think it is just carbon build up, but my back bumper blackens after a while. It doesnt really burn more oil i think or atleast i havent noticed. My system has a pretty much open exhaust design, so anythin that doesnt get caught by the cats goes out onto the rear bumper
Old 01-09-2005, 06:57 PM

If it were me, I'd find a friend in the U.S.A. and have the exhaust shipped to his place from Specialty Z. Once things thaw out, drive to his place for a weekend and install the whole damn thing at once.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by DanZ32
The question is...Should I do both the header install and custom exhaust at the same time or is it fine to do the headers now and exhaust later?
Basically that I what I did. When I had my car in the shop having the new flywheel and clutch, I had stillen headers installed. I waited to have the exhaust systems modified for financial reasons. I'm about to have the three back pieces (cats, h-pipe, and mufflers) replaced and will probably use Greg at SpecialtyZ.

If you are new to NA exhaust systems, understand that they have a reputation for being VERY LOUD once you open them up - MUCH louder than a TT, so filter what you hear based on the engine type.

There are about 6 levels of noise that you can get from stock to raucous. Let us know what you decide.