300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Engine swap thought???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Pr0n Addict

wow dude. impressive stuff. i can't imagine having that much fun in a Z with 1000 wheel HP on the road. haha that's rediculous. from results i've seen, about 500-800 looks pretty good to me. and the LS1, why pick a Z? if i had that motor, this would be my plan:
http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html
my dream car!
zlover, i don't know what state you are in, but you def. need to come to carlisle in may so i can see that car. she sounds rite nice
Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Carlisle, VA is a bit of a haul from Chicago... it may have been possible if my sister still lived in Norfolk/Va Beach... but the only sister I have on the coast now is up near DC in Fairfax county (the one that was in Norfolk just moved to Ohio). And my Z is mechanically nice... cosmetically... she needs a little work (the salt is starting to get to her). If I drive the Z out to see Dawn this summer, perhaps I'll try to arrange it so that we can meet somewhere (I've been meaning to meet some of the NoVa guys on tt.net anyway... maybe we'll arrange a Z meet somewhere).

And Eric, I forgot to mention... yes, building a high-reving engine is the solution to *****-*** narrow powerbands, but the VG30 has trouble over 8k rpms. With minor work, 8k is easily attainable (JWT springs, cams that allow proper airflow at that level, etc), but to go beyond that requires some expensive work (machining, valve guides, solid lifters, etc etc etc). And even then, JWT won't provide any guarantees if they program you an ECU that revs above 7,999rpm (and if they have to protect themselves above that level, that might say something). So building a high-reving VG30 isn't easy... hence why the cars with standard JWT 7,450rpm ECU programs and nice broad powerbands own the timeslips.

As for single turbo VG30's... there have been a few... but all of them underperformed compared to a setup of equal value consisting of twins. The problem becomes routing the gasses efficiently... you want to keep as much heat in the system before the turbo so that there is lots of pressure to spin it. When you combine both banks of cylinders into one turbo, you generally have long lengths of tubing and thus lots of pressure drop. This is why Supras and Skylines will benefit more from a single than a 300ZX... they're inline engines, so piping all the exhaust into one turbo is simple. When Joel(Pa) on tt.net did it, his turbo was where the AC compressor is... lots of exhaust piping and an SP74 (big) turbo... he was only hitting rwhp levels in the 600's (a Supra with that turbo would've done more just based on the superior exhaust manifold dynamics). For the cost, he could've done HKS GT2530's and had a better performing car. (Or better yet, spent less on GT2860RS turbos, which are GT2530's with a slightly different turbine, and performed about the same as GT2530's.)

And one last thing I want you to notice... when the top end companies build turbocharged cars, they all do it in one way. TWIN turbos. Porsche 911 Turbo models are twin turbo. The turbo Ferraris (i.e. F40) are twin turbo. The rare turbo Lamborghini Diablos are twin turbo. The hideous new Bugatti is twin twin turbos (that 4 turbos). Not a single one of them manufactures a single turbo car, to my knowledge (and Ferrari and Lamborghini also tend to use a dual throttle body setup like the VG30DE, including twin intercoolers)... so perhaps there are more benefits to twin turbo systems than my limited knowledge suggests. But if the Z32's stock arrangement is good enough for the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche... I think I'll trust them to do it right.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 01-28-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Pr0n Addict

the carlisle show is in carlisle Pennsylvania. so maybe it's not quite as far, but i see your distance problem! anyway, with the number of Z's usually there, that trip would hardly be worth it unless you have a lot of interest in other cars that would be there (british, kits, fieros, and vendors for me). but yea i would definately catch a Z meet in VA.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Über User

mmhmmm.... you seem to have all the answer's. no answer me this, change the weather and have another Z meet at moron valley since i missed your guys this summer (thanks to some one thinking it be funny to ban me for 33 days and never got to read the post in time)
Old 01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
mmhmmm.... you seem to have all the answer's. no answer me this, change the weather and have another Z meet at moron valley since i missed your guys this summer (thanks to some one thinking it be funny to ban me for 33 days and never got to read the post in time)
thats why you gotta have multiple accounts. then you can do whatever you want

and im down for a z meet. havent been around any since the summer.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Über User

pffft.... you live in central indiana and dont have a Z. lol. you wanna borrow one of mine? :P
Old 01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
pffft.... you live in central indiana and dont have a Z. lol. you wanna borrow one of mine? :P
im actually in northwestern indiana...you should know that, youve flown here.

and yea, ill take either one. kthx
Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Über User

haha. 260 is for sale. runs good, im getting a 5 speed for it again (finally) needs paint and then just a little loving on the interior and some new body seals, and its golden! lol. 3k. and yeah its barely north western. might have to bust out a sectional chart again. lol.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
That's been done at least twice. Once was naturally aspirated, the other was a HUGE single turbo.
came across the pic of the latter...