300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Bad transmision, and other questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 AM

Bad transmision, and other questions.

im looking at a Z32TT right now but the transmission dosent go in 3-4 or reverse. there is also a knocking noise (like a really bad throw out bearing) more like a grinding noise. im going to check that the slave or master are not leaking.

also there is a grinding noise coming from the engine, its to hard to tell if its a bad input shaft bearing or throw out, but what else can it be? water pump? it doesnt sound like a normal engine knock at all.

is this common for the transmission to go or could it be something as simple as a bad shifter?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah when trannys in these get really old, 3rd and 4th synchros go slowly. so they have already gone, and it's been driven some more likely. you could try some good new tranny fluid and get a few thousand more possibly.

but if this is a car you're thinking about buying, i'd say stay away from it, because considering the vague description you just gave, it sounds like it will be in for a new engine pretty soon.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:22 PM

im fairly mechanically inclined and the price i will be paying for it would be cheaper buying it and a whole front cut in order to get a clean fairlady, i figure i will save 2500ish. i have been to hell and back with my skyline and im sure it cant get worse than that lol.

just wanted to know what i was getting into

thanks a bunch im so stoked to get it!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Pr0n Addict

or you could just plan to spend $1500 or so more on a significantly nicer car that doesn't sound like it needs a complete engine rebuild already. but you seem to have the plan pretty well established.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 AM

okay well just brought it home today, it has a really weird short shifter, which is coming off, its almost like they put it in backwards.

the slave cylinder is bypassing a teeny bit, and the clutch adjustment is a little out imo.

2nd 4th and reverse wil not go in im not sure if it is my clutch or what but... and no 3rd at all.

i can get my hands on a Z32 N/A transmission for really cheap, are they the same? or weaker.

thanks for the help again
here is a picture, for 1400 CAD i am not complainging other than the white hatch the car is mint inside and out.
Name:  300.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  65.0 KB

Last edited by luv_twins; 10-03-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Pr0n Addict

they are the same but you'll have to look up a tt swap write up to find out where you have to grind the bell housing. or just try to stick it on there and see yourself. from my understanding, it's just a tiny bit of metal that needs to come off.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:29 PM

oh okay as long as they are intenally the same i will be fine.
i got a price of 700CAD for a TT transmission, with warrenty
Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 AM

So that's a Japanese car huh? Right side drive and all...be careful when ordering parts, think JDM always.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 AM

yep lol i know a few importers from owning my R32 and it breaking very often lol.

how reliable are these cars? i hope they are damn reliable becuase im sure im going to hate working on it.

i found 2nd gear now, a nut came off so i put a new nuts on and tighetned it and it works, still missing 4th and reverse though.

im still sad to say though i think its the transmission no driving it before winter for me lol

Last edited by luv_twins; 10-05-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Pr0n Addict

reliability is great in most cases. it depends on how it's been maintained. my car breaks down at least every two months and is almost never cheap to fix. but it's been worked on by really stupid PO's and i've taken some short cuts too that have already caused my problems that i had to fix again. if you find the right car though it can be extremely reliable.

if things start going wrong with the engine, the first thing to do though is check the connections. all the engine connections need to be thoroughly checked and cleaned. they say it's a good design of connector but finding them to be very problematic.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 AM

okay well the linkage is fine i think, so on to new transmission

any hnts? it actully look half easy swapping transmissions in these cars, i hope.

i also got a new fuel filter and im going to clean the MAF i get a small intermittent hesitation, but i think that is becuase the thermostat is stuck open, swapped CTS and sending unit, no dice still runs a little cold, and if its like a RB if its a degree to cold or hot it just dont run right lol, so that may be the hesitation.

whats the spark timing supposed to be set at?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 AM

okay so i read up a little bit, the flywheel is bigger on the TT than the manual, if i were to swap bell housings it should be a bolt on right...

i havent looked closeley but im assuming the bell housings are seperate from the gearbox? im hoping lol.

EDIT: nevermind lol they are not removable

still cant find the writeup and i have searched everywere.

Last edited by luv_twins; 10-07-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Pr0n Addict

no, just grind off some material.

transmission drop and install is fairly easy, but it is a bit tricky due to tight spaces. the top bell housing bolts are extremely hard to get to, and getting it stabbed is pretty hard too. you have to elevate the front of the engine to tilt it back. an inch or two is about all i have the ***** for and usually gets it done. top bell housing bolt requires a 3+' extension.

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/clutchtech.html
that explains tranny removal and installation

"3. The NA and TT have the same 5 speed transmission model #, same splines on input and output shafts, etc. and the housings are the same except for one small difference. The spot where the starter mounts on the bellhousing on the TT is machined a little differently so that the starter will properly engage the slightly larger diameter flywheel and so that the flywheel teeth won?t scrape the inside of the bellhousing. You can use an NA 5 speed in a TT but you just have to shim the starter out a little with some flat washers and sometimes grind a little out of the inside of the bellhousing so the TT flywheel will fit inside.
If trying to use a TT trans in an NA you would either have to grind down where the starter mounts so that it could engage the smaller NA flywheel or just use the TT flywheel, which could be used with only a TT clutch. The internals are the same between the NA and TT 5 sp transmissions, although all the 94 + models had redesigned stronger internals. I have used them interchangeably without problems."

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...ral&dtSearch=0

you're just going to need to see what needs to be ground by eye

one more good thread for reference:
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...cal&dtSearch=2

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 10-07-2009 at 05:06 AM.