300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Aftermarket underdrive pulleys, good or bad idea? thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Aftermarket underdrive pulleys, good or bad idea? thoughts...

Im re-building the engine on my z32 and doing various mods, but im wondering whether its a good idea or not to install aftermarket underdrive lightened pulleys, ive found some good quality ones from the USA called unorthodox racing pulleys, but ive heard alot of debate as to whether they are a good idea or if theyre gona damage my engine, i understand both sides of the argument and can see reasons why it would and wouldent, i was just after some more opinions, this is going to be on a street set up by the way, racing clutch, ligthened flywheel etc but mainly used for drifting and a bit of road driving aswell, the arguments im faced with as you probally already know, is the nissan stock crank pulley has a harmonic damper in it, which obviously allows for a bit of play to stop the torsional vibrations and flexing and stuff, but the aftermarket ones dont have the damper, so its said that the pulley will rattle the crankshaft to death, which i think is a bit extreme but, i do think it could cause excessive and quick wear to the bearings? then again how much bounce is going to be in the pulley anyway?! it cant be alot surely, im just thinking nissan obviously put the damper there for a reason, i dont want to be messing with the crankshaft and all the timing etc! im stuck because they seem like a good easy mod, but could cause more damage than their worth, i dont want to be re-building the engine any time soon, as im doing it now!