300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Underdrive pulleys..Worth the risks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:10 PM

Underdrive pulleys..Worth the risks?

I'm going to be changing the timing belt along with the water pump and the other recommended replacement items for that job in my '91 TT. Are Underdrive pulley's worth the risk? I've been looking at the Unorthodox Racing products. The quality looks fine, but by removing the harmonic dampener it seems that the crank could just shake itself to death. I've read about cars with lightweight crank pulleys rattling the flywheel bolts loose. I just don't know if 20-30 ponies is worth having to rebuild the lower end in a short amount of time. I'm currently in the process of installing a lightweight flywheel and a 1 piece steel driveshaft. The car has 148k miles on it. What do you guys think?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

I say go for it. If the monster Z's can use it, so can you.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:27 AM

Would you recommend Unorthodox, or do you have another preference?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Personally, I think that a pulley is a pulley. It's not like it has moving parts, it is a moving part! I say get which ever you can get for less. Search around, there's bound to be a less expensive one somewhere.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Tough Guy

$90 bills. I dont have the site handy but ill find it and post it. Im with Rizz on this one. A pulely is a pulley they are both made out of aluminum.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:34 PM

Well basically all thats happening there is power is being increased due to how the pulley is shaped. So not as much power is going to power steering, waterpump, alt., etc. etc. So more power gets put down. So would you have to replace all the pulleys? Or what? Because i'm pondering this little mod too... I dont think it'll add 20-30 ponies though, I'd say maybe... MAYBE 5 tops... Anyways, shoot us back if anyone has an idea. peace
Old 01-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Tough Guy

On the Unorthodox order page, maybe it was from the stillen web site, i dont remember, it says its good for a dyno tested 20+ hp.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:14 PM

TT Z's of Dallas shows a dyno where there was almost a 30 HP gain. I've ordered them. They should arrive later this week. I'm going to install them next week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:45 PM

OOops

Forgot to tell you, im only running the VG30DE, the readings are only 8-10 for Naturally Aspirated. My bad! Peace foo's
Old 01-12-2004, 08:13 PM

Touche....that's what you get for questioning my on the firing order for the Z. Ha-ha. You got me, I got you...we're even. Oh, and by the way,...who you callin' a foo?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:09 PM

YOU FOO! Haha just playing... When did I get you? Haha. . Hey guys, I just got my SAT scores back... 1250 good???? Never done this before, and my rents dont know. Peace foo's
Old 01-13-2004, 08:10 PM

You got me a few days ago. You corrected me on the firing order of the Z32 engine. Anyways, 1250 is pretty damn good. It sure is a lot higher than I would've expected from someone who ends all of his posts with "peace foo's". Ha-ha. You should be pleased with that. Where are you going to go to school?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:06 PM

Yea I just found out that 1250 is pretty good. Im actually a smart kid, anyone who can figure out Maya, FormZ RadioZity, and Cinema 4D, design their own engine which is in the process of being patented, and design their own line of exotic vehicles... Is pretty smart eh? Im going to try and get into NC State for automotive design and engineering, but if that falls through Im going to Fullsail in Florida to become a movie director, I am already working on a script for a racing movie... I dont feel like describing it, too long, haha. Peace foo's
Old 01-16-2004, 08:31 AM

nismo there is no need for a script in a racing movies....get a beastly looking Z, and some mustangs and have them play cat and a mouse....it's so much fun watching mustangs crash in those curves
Old 01-16-2004, 08:59 AM

So Nismo, are you going to be the next Jerry Bruckheimer? How 'bout the next Scorcese?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:02 PM

O there is plenty of wrecks in this movie, almost 50% of the cars are wrecked in one shot! (i.e the bridge linking the main land to Key West has a portion missing... The main car, (4 Door Skyline GTR silver, driven by the main character) blows by and relizes whats about to happen, main car number two (R33 GTR V-SpecII black with black Advan 5 stars, driven by secondary main character) blows by almost wrecks, then the rest of the team remaining go by with no problem (FD3S Hunter green RX-7, Z32 TT black, wings west body kit, dark *** tint, projectors, fairlady tails, black rims, 11 inch wide in the back by 18, 1992 2+2 red slightly modded {this was going to be Riz's part, but he thinks hes too good for it j/p}) Then... Here come the civics, S2k's, Eclipses, Talons, DSM's, Integras... Its a message, DEATH TO RICE! haha j/p . Basically this is where all of my computer graphics knowledge will come in, I dont think I will have the funds to wreck over 150 vehicles! Anyways, the script is sick, great plot, great characters, great CARS. Like I said in a previous post, there is a part for all the serious members in this forum if the movie ever gets off the ground. There is one team of JUST Z's, 240Z to 350Z. NO Z'S WILL BE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS FILM! The only real cars that are going to be wrecked in the film is:

-1999 Skyline R34 GTR Bayside Blue "look a like" (I couldnt bring myself to wreck a real sky, its gonna be a 1998 GT, made to spec)
-S15 Silvia Blue
-1999 WRX Impreza (takes a nose dive into the back of a shipping boat )

Notice I didnt go into too much detail with characters... Or anything for that matter, but im working on finalizing the script, and I got my boy helping me out with it (BadBoyZ2nv in this forum, hes a film conasur, haha)
Peace foo's
Old 01-18-2004, 04:21 PM
confuzed member

Hey! Why not a Pearl White TT w/ stillen body mods, seneka sport 5 star wheels....yada yada yada as a main car??? Everyone loves this color and when I get a new front paint job(a little chipped up on the bottom) and my kaminari side skirts...I think It'll be a great car to show off in your movie....whad'ya say?
Old 01-18-2004, 11:54 PM

Hmmmmm... Deffinately not a star car, but more than likely a good main car. Do YOU have any acting experience? If not, your car could use the popularity... Get you sponsors off thy ****! haha. peace foo's
Old 01-19-2004, 12:00 AM
confuzed member

Sweet! Acting experience...None professional, but I've been in tons of plays as a kid (church) and I was a boy scout (don't make fun!) and we're notorious for skits. So a lot of small stuff. I'm sure I could learn as long as I didn't have some star part. Sponsors...maybe I should look into that. Anyone have any experience on how to acquire sponsors and have any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:23 PM

Sponsors, we don't need no stinking sponsors. That's about all I have when it comes to acting. I more specialize in sarcasm. Emo, just cover your car in stickers and call them sponsors. I hear that cars with a lot of stickers go faster. It's like tatoo's. You see those litle wannabe vatos covered in tatoo's. They think it makes 'em look tough. No offense to any of you wannabe vatos who may be reading this.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:25 PM
confuzed member

Don't insult Rizz (the brown guy) like that..I think it DOES make him look tougher! JKJ K JK..Rizz, do you have tatoos? I know you listen to hard stuff..so there's a chance. But yea...all the experts know that you get about 5 hp for each brand name decal and about 10hp for each banner or graphics.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:44 PM

Nah I cant picture Riz with tattoos... That would just make him look like a pissed off Cuban with a small *****. Haha just messing. Riz does listen to some hard music, not as hard as mine, but we do share some music interest. Peace foo's
Old 01-20-2004, 05:25 PM

Ouch...consider your membership cancelled.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Cuban!?! Cuban...!?! Where in the world do you get Cuban from!?! I'm not even close to that!
I won't even dignify the '*****' remark w/a response.

For everyone else, no, I do not currently have any tattoos. Some may be forthcoming though.

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulleys..Worth the risks?