300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

300ztt engine pull

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Pr0n Addict

you can, or just set it on the ground to be safer. what do you need to do to it?

if you are setting it on the ground, a tire and some blocks can help distribute the weight
Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Have you even told us what you're doing to it? I would NOT recommend working with it on the hoist, but it can be done. It's just risky. At least get a used tire and sit it in the tire.

You can rent stands from Pep Boys or AutoZone for free, though... so there's no reason not to do that.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 PM

Just swapping out the wiring harness new vacuum kit and turbos.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Those bolts for the chain are to be used only to get the engine out... they are not supposed to hold the engine long-term while you work on it. Get a stand. As I said, rental is FREE... no excuse.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 PM

I think you can get them pretty cheap but wheres it bolt to the tranny bolt oles.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Über User

just get an engine stand like 50 bucks. other wise lay out some 4x4's in a patter than you can drop the engine on them so they support it on strong points like mounts or parts of the block that stick out and are flat so you keep the oil pan off the ground and put most of the weight on them put still leave a little tension the chains so you have good weight distribution and it will be more secure and incase the block crack or get kicked out some how the engine wont drop to the floor
Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Über User

just get an engine stand like 50 bucks. other wise lay out some 4x4's in a patter than you can drop the engine on them so they support it on strong points like mounts or parts of the block that stick out and are flat so you keep the oil pan off the ground and put most of the weight on them put still leave a little tension the chains so you have good weight distribution and it will be more secure and incase the block crack or get kicked out some how the engine wont drop to the floor
Old 08-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Pr0n Addict

hello. hello.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 AM

Well howdy miss virginia.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 AM

I think ill just buy a stand stand in the morning cause im going to try to get it all the way out tomorrow i dont think i got much left. Id like to have a stand anyways cause who knows when ill need it.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by jaredjmoore89
but wheres it bolt to the tranny bolt oles.
You're expecting this to be a precise procedure... it's not. When you're in the middle of it, you'll figure out where to bolt the chains to get it out. But I've given you two precise locations in this thread, anyway.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:05 PM

I ran into a few problems. I bolt on the downpipes is completely stripped out and im going to cut the downpipe off cause i orded new ones. I didnt get specialty z's though. I just dont have the money for 500 dollar downpipes. I got concept z performances. I know there not the best but i know they arent bad. Also the bigger problem, on the driver side of my engine where im mounting the motor to pull it, the bolt hole shown on the site i posted earlier with the red dot in pic 1 , on the plenum where it tightens into is broken off. Does the weight go onto the plenum or the bracket that tightens to the plenum. AM i able to bolt it to the bracket and just put a nut behind it. http://www.ttzd.com/tech/engine/engine.html
Old 08-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I honestly don't know whether or not just using the bracket will be able to support the weight - the bracket bolts to the cylinder head on the bottom, but I'm not sure how strong the bracket itself is. At this point, I recommend using the top passenger's side trans bolt hole (and a trans bolt) and the front driver's side plenum bolt (go to Home Depot or Ace Hardware and get a longer bolt and some washers that'll allow you to attach the chain).
Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 PM

Im a little lost. Why would i use the passengers side trans bolt hole when its the drivers side thats broke.Also wheres it at. Will the one hole thats not broke not hold the weight.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Pr0n Addict

use the passenger side trans bolt because that allows you to get it balanced. just use that one to be safe. it's the top left bolt that holds the tranny on. WAY up there where you can barely touch. you'll find it
Old 08-23-2008, 08:34 PM

If i used that hole would the on plenum hole still hold the weight on that one side.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 PM

I dont know if i mentioned that its only one of those bolts thats broken. BUt still how would it work. On the drivers side ones broke and the passenger trans bolt is on the opposite side. that would be three holes on the passenger side im bolted to and 1 on the drivers side im bolted to.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:27 PM

I got to looking and how bout i bolt it to the one thats not broking right next to it and what bout the dual vacuum bolt thats right above it. Can i bolt it to that just for safety and to take a lil weight off it, or would that break the plenum.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

:::sigh:::

You are not ready for this procedure.

PICK TWO F*CKING BOLTS TO BOLT THE CHAIN TO AND GET IT OVER WITH.

I already said it's not as precise as you want it to be. I'm done posting in this thread... I've told you the same thing twice or thrice already, at least.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 PM

Sorry man i just misread your thread. I thought you said use the passengers side planum bolt and the passengers side tranny bolt sorry. Its not that im not ready, its just that if one of those holes are broken and i use the other. Than means if it breaks i got a really expensive probelm on my hands and i would really like to prevent that. IM boting to four bolts though. I just wanna be sure the plenum is strong enough to support the weight.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Über User

ive had a bolt break on my when pulling an engine and tranny combo, almost got smacked in the face with the chain and then it hit, cracked the case on the tranny. know what i did, said, wow that ****en sucks and just finished the job. i think you can do the same with less of a chance of soemthing like that happening. just find two thick bolts that thread into a solid engine piece alot that are at opposite corners of the engine so it stays balanced put the bolt through the chain, thread the bolt as far as possible so it wont stress the bolt or threads, then go to town. its a learning lesson and no one here can come and hold your hand through this. so just go for it
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Pr0n Addict

yeah on that note, i have been very impressed at how well some parts can hold an engine that you wouldn't expect. for example, on my midget, the alternator bracket had a lift point in it
Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 AM

So any 2 bolts that just balance it out pretty much. Just one more question. Will the plenum hold all the motors weight if i just use the plenum. I plan on bolting it to 4 places because i got a load leveler.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:05 PM

I think they are only 30$ or so for the set,

but engine slingers for the 3.0 engine do make it a lot easier to lift the engine out. I've done the lift with them and without them both were pretty easy. If you get an engine stand and intend to use it and if you've never used one before its easiest to bolt the attaching plate with adjustable arms to the engine while the engine is hanging on the cherry picker. Then attach the lower part of the stand. Then slowly put it on the floor. Best to use the top 4 bolt holes on the engine block because the engine is very top heavy.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 PM

I just made my job a lot easier and bought the ramey z engine slinger. It looked a lot safer and easier as goofy said. Thanks a lot for the help. Also i bought concept z performances downpipes off of ebay for 200 bucks, got to looking around and realized they were made by edge racing and on their side they are like 140 or less. If i get them in and they are edge racing i will be peeeod. I email and asked if i could get a partial refund. Are those downpipes any good.

Quick Reply: 300ztt engine pull