300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

2+2 Engine rebuild, eventually turbo'ed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 AM

2+2 Engine rebuild, eventually turbo'ed

I have a 96 2+2 and am planning on doing a rebuild this summer. I've been reading up (a lot) on the TT conversion, most reads ending with the suggestion that I sell my car and buy a TT. For me, I just want to start by saying that this is a no-go. The 2 extra seats, newly redone interior, new sound system (dont actually care about that...), HED's, and the new suspension setup makes this car a keeper for me.

So, all of that aside, I am planning on rebuilding the engine. If I were to do a TT swap, it would be much further down the road AND I would end up rebuilding that engine before I dropped it in my car, so it would be $3200 (front clip, concept-z) + extra bits and pieces + rebuild cost for TT engine. What I think is the more economical thing to do is to rebuild my current engine and make it turbo ready.

Before I get flamed for posting this, I want to stress that any form of turboing will not be happening for a year or two, but this engine needs to be rebuilt now.

I came here to ask what I should simply replace and what I should upgrade. Doing a turbo build on a NA/2+2 seems to be a bit of a taboo subject on Z32 forums, so it is hard to find good info on it. From what I have been reading the only real difference in the internals of the NA and the TT is the pistons, the NA's pistons being weaker. Any info/help you guys can give will be great, thanks in advance.

tl;dr- Rebuilding NA/2+2 motor, selling car and buying TT is not an option, TT swap not an option, what should I upgrade inside the motor to make it turbo ready?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by syphon0202
what should I upgrade inside the motor to make it turbo ready?
https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29614

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
And if you built the engine for forced induction, I'd hope that one would go with lower compression pistons and stronger TT wristpins. Wait a minute, in that case, why wouldn't that person just go with a stock TT engine? GENIUS!
Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Because it'd be cheaper to get a stock TT engine and it'd handle gobs of horsepower, as compared to building an NA motor with TT specifications (to handle that kind of power). For most people, the stock TT internals are sufficient. The small components needed to be able to put the power down in an NA motor would quickly add up, but the stock TT motor already has them. For this matter, it's also cheaper to build a TT motor than it is to build an NA VG30DE to be able to handle turbos.

You can build any engine to withstand anything... it just takes a lot of $$$.

So how much do you have to spend?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 AM

That second quote says it would be cheaper to just upgrade a stock TT motor but, as far as price is concerned, what would be cheaper:

A) Rebuild (only the top) & strengthen my NA/2+2 motor and eventually turbo it

B) Buy the TT front clip, do the swap, rebuild the top of that motor and buy new turbos

By summer time I should have 5 grand to pour into the Z, that doesn't mean that I actually want to put it all into the Z though, haha
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ I suggest re-reading (several times) the quotes I posted.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 AM

I guess I am reading the quote differently. To me it sounds like he is saying its cheaper to do a TT swap then build a NA up, but, if I were to do the TT swap, I would then want to rebuild the newly purchased TT motor, including the turbos.

I assume what you and he are saying is that, even if I did rebuild the TT engine it would still be cheaper.

Just googling around, found this great article. I guess there is a lot more difference in the engines then just the pistons. It all comes down to what happens when I do the compression test later today. If I need to rebuild, I will go ahead and do that and be happy with my vg30de for now. If my car can last, maybe I will save up some more and buy/rebuild a TT engine.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Horsepower Mathematician

Originally Posted by syphon0202
I assume what you and he are saying is that, even if I did rebuild the TT engine it would still be cheaper.
Precisely! I've heard a solid stock TT engine can withstand up to 500hp. To get a NA engine to that kind of output would be extremely expensive. I think even just matching TT output with a turbo'd NA is still significantly more expensive than doing the TT swap.