300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Storing the tops in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Storing the tops in the car?

Hello all,

After searching and reading thoroughly, I was hoping you all could tell me how you choose to store the tops from your cars. Is there a built-in tie-down in the trunk area, or do you just toss them in the bags and hope they don't bounce around?

I am planning on buying SOME kind of older sports car soon, and the 300ZX (Z32) is #1 on my list for many reasons... But I am worried that after taking off the tops and storing them in the back, there won't be any room for things like a small bag of clothes (if I choose to take the car out for a weekend getaway), etc.

What do you do? Is the 300ZX a good weekend getaway car, or is there not enough room? (mind you, I'm not talking 1000 mile roadtrip, just a backpack of stuff)
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Z31 big enough for a back pack trip

Originally Posted by Adoniram
Hello all,

After searching and reading thoroughly, I was hoping you all could tell me how you choose to store the tops from your cars. Is there a built-in tie-down in the trunk area, or do you just toss them in the bags and hope they don't bounce around?

I am planning on buying SOME kind of older sports car soon, and the 300ZX (Z32) is #1 on my list for many reasons... But I am worried that after taking off the tops and storing them in the back, there won't be any room for things like a small bag of clothes (if I choose to take the car out for a weekend getaway), etc.

What do you do? Is the 300ZX a good weekend getaway car, or is there not enough room? (mind you, I'm not talking 1000 mile roadtrip, just a backpack of stuff)
You actually stumbled over yourself and answered your own question. O/k.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

The Z32 is a great weekend getaway car... as long as you only have one passenger.

T-top storage options:
-Stock bags / straps
-Fab up your own brackets for them to click into. The Trans Am / Firebird F-Bodies have mounts in the bottom of the hatch for secure ttop storage. An hour of design and an hour of fabrication will probably get you something similar that's functional and secure.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

The Z32 is a great weekend getaway car... as long as you only have one passenger.

T-top storage options:
-Stock bags / straps
-Fab up your own brackets for them to click into. The Trans Am / Firebird F-Bodies have mounts in the bottom of the hatch for secure ttop storage. An hour of design and an hour of fabrication will probably get you something similar that's functional and secure.
Thanks! And yeah it would just be my wife and I. We both like driving fast cars, so we're looking for something fun, but also practical for a trip. I've had some fun project cars that were great driver's cars, but I wouldn't trust them enough to take out of town...

I saw some pictures of the trunk area with the tops in them, and it actually looks more roomy than I originally thought. I think I could even squeeze a small sub on the side without completely making the rest of the trunk space useless.

Click-in storage on the hatch itself is a great idea!! I don't have a welder, but it's never too late to buy one
Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Adoniram
I don't have a welder, but it's never too late to buy one
You don't need a welder. Personally I wouldn't use metal for ttop storage brackets... I would use 1x4 wood and paint them or cover them w/ your fabric of choice.

Lots of hatch ideas online. Search Google images and Z32 mod sites.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 PM

This past May I took my '90 Z32 on a 4000 mile road trip from Illinois to Colorado. I came home through Wyoming and South Dakota. I was travelling alone and had the time of my life. This was the trip I had always dreamed of taking.
I've had people tell me that the Z32 is not a road trip car, but I beg to differ. I was comfortable the whole way. I never got stiff or had back or leg pain from sitting too long. I drove at least 8 -10 hours each day. I had the trunk filled but even then I was able to take my t-tops off and lay them on top of my pillows. They stayed put. Because my car didn't come with the shades, I ended up buying child shades and stuck those up on the inside while I drove with the tops on. It helped alot.
I would not hesitate to take my Z on another road trip.
And just FYI, my husband and I had to take an emergency trip from IL. to Michigan last week. We were bringing a car back with us, so we rented a car for a 1 way trip. The car they were going to give us had expired tags and we refused it. The only other car they had was a '14 Camaro. Within 2 hours we were both in agony because the seats were so bad. No amount of finagling with the positions would alleviate the sciatic pain we were both experiencing. Thank goodness we didn't have to drive it back. Never had that in my Z. You'll be really happy if you do get one.
Good luck in your search.