300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

spontaneous no crank no start issue!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM

spontaneous no crank no start issue!?

Hello im new to this forum and im seeking some help. I own a 1991 nissan 300zx 2+2 automatic with 36k miles on it. bought a few months ago here down in tampa Florida. one day I took it for a drive and parked it to head to the store, when I tried to turn it on, nothing happened no crank or start. i tried it a second time and it started up normally. it happened again with the same scenario drove it to store came back and this time it took several tries to start it, this happened several weeks later, during that time it started up and drove fine. one time it happened in my garage and I started it about 3 times and the 4th time it didn't want to start again. I decided to take battery out and get it checked at my nearest autozone. battery checked out being a good. when i put battery back on it ended up starting up again normally, i tried starting it up and shutting off several times and I gave up after 7 tries to replicate issue. Just wondering if anyone has been thru this issue before or where should I keep looking to diagnose this spontaneous issue. currently it is not starting again. thank you and any advice would helpful.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM

WELCOME to ZDriver!

Assuming battery is actually "good," you need to remove, clean and reattach battery cables and remove, clean and reattach electrical feeds on the starter. Easy enough to do. Make sure you clean all corrosion so you have shiny metal-to-metal contact all around. Those steps should solve your problem because it sounds like you have a bad contact somewhere in the loop. If problem persists, you can replace your ignition switch. They get tired after 25 years and you are in year 28. Aftermarket switches are available from regular parts outlets, no need to bother with Nissan. Easy enough to install. If you still have a problem after that, replace battery with a new one, buying enough cold-start amps for your Z model. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
WELCOME to ZDriver!

Assuming battery is actually "good," you need to remove, clean and reattach battery cables and remove, clean and reattach electrical feeds on the starter. Easy enough to do. Make sure you clean all corrosion so you have shiny metal-to-metal contact all around. Those steps should solve your problem because it sounds like you have a bad contact somewhere in the loop. If problem persists, you can replace your ignition switch. They get tired after 25 years and you are in year 28. Aftermarket switches are available from regular parts outlets, no need to bother with Nissan. Easy enough to install. If you still have a problem after that, replace battery with a new one, buying enough cold-start amps for your Z model. Good luck!
Hey! thank you for the reply, I will def look into that and replace it. I dont daily drive it so its no rush but I will be looking at it this weekend.