Go Back  ZDriver.com > Cars > 300ZX (Z31) Forums
'86 gl 300zx no crank no start issue >

'86 gl 300zx no crank no start issue

300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

'86 gl 300zx no crank no start issue

Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Question '86 gl 300zx no crank no start issue

DE car
Hey all, I am new to this forum and after a whole day and a half of searching for my issue, i have yet to find a forum post that "hits the nail on the head" so to speak.
SO, I have an '86 300zx turbo A/T and im having a no crank no start issue. I believe it may be the fuel pump, as When i turn the car to the on position, I cant hear it the fuel pump at all.
But what makes me believe something else is the problem as well or instead, is that when i turn the key all the way as if to start the car, it does not crank but the lights turn off like normal.
What I know about the car:
-Yes, it was a junker, but the only reason I got it was because it was in really good condition, inside and out(little to no rust even in spare tire wells)
-Im still trying to get in contact with the last owner through the junk yard, but the car looked well maintained (no cracked or brittle hoses, or belts)
-Fluids looked used but none showed any indication of damage like metal specks or excessively black oil.
- And before buying it, I was able to start it with starting fluid and fogging oil, and i started up with no hesitation, and sounded great.
- And all electronics work well, even the nagging woman.
What I have done:
-I checked all my fuses, relays, and fusible links. all good
-I tried replacing the battery. no change
-Ive checked all my grounds. all good
-And ive tested the starter. all good
-I've also checked the fsms (no haynes or chilton I havent recieved mine yet) from xenonzcar and I haven't checked the ECCS codes, as I read on this forum that they are largely useless.
I know that the car wont run with the bad fuel pump, but shouldnt it at least crank if the issue is the fuel pump?
Anyways, I'd appreciate it if anyone on here could point me in the right direction and Im sorry bout the long post but Im trying not to be as concise and clear as possible.
-Thanks Manny
Old 05-14-2019, 12:44 PM

*Update*
After removing all fuses and relays, cleaning the contacts, and putting them back in, the car will crank, and turn, but only for about half a second and will turn a little.
When trying to start, The car experiences no loss of power, but i believe the issue may be a bad ground, but im unsure as to whether a bad ground would cause these symptoms, as I have dealt with bad grounds before and they have all caused the car to lose all power when trying to start.
The noise is a loud click that sounds like the starter, And i had my friend watch the engine bay as i tried to start, and he verified that the engine was cranking.
Ill be back, after I clean all my grounds, and check the wires for corrosion.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:51 AM

Something in your description sounds like insufficient torque at the starter. Here's what I would do. (Just my guess) Pull another car alongside and hook battery cables from that battery to yours while that motor is idling. Careful to get your polarity right in the hook-up, pos to pos, neg to neg. Try your starter. If your motor turns over correctly, your connections are probably right but your battery is not giving your the amps (torque) you need.to start your motor. New battery with more cold-crank amps.Please report back. Great Z there, BTW.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 05-16-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Many thanks my friend, i think it was a bad ground and the battery as I took the time to clean all of my wire contacts and grounds with a steal wire brush and i got the battery tested at autozone and it came back as bad, I swapped the battery after all that and i got her cranking, all thats left is to get this fuel pump in, but im waiting on my next check.
(biweekly pay is ***).