300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

smells like burnt rubber

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM

smells like burnt rubber

hi guys well ive been having a problem with my 1990 300zx n/a . when i step on the gas and car goes at about 2500 rpms i get the smell of burnt rubber its prety strong also on the passenger side by the fender theres a weird bump sound not loud but you can hear it if you pay close attention to it .. my car runs perfectly just the smell i dont like and also the sound can you guys help
Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Automatic or manual? And could you (honestly) tell the difference between rubber and a burning carbon-metallic surface?

The fact that it occurs more frequently with RPM suggests to me that it's a clutch... a stuck brake could make the same smell, but it'd be speed dependent, rather than RPM.

Could also be a seized engine accessory, but I'd hope you'd notice other symptoms if that were the case. You could check this by running the motor and watching the accessory belts to make sure they're all turning.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM

yea its a manual and well it smells like rubber .. i actaully just put in a brand new clutch recently . and timing belt . just when you press the gass peddle down at high rpms i get the smell ...
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

It's probably your clutch, dude... lol If you didn't break it in properly, it will slip when it's under load.

Take it to these guys. They're about an hour from you and the most reputable shop in the country, so you have no excuse not to go to them. They'll tell you what's wrong.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM

thanks alot man i dont have the smell anymore the reason it was doing that was because my dumb *** is barely learning how to drive stick and i was reving it high on 1st gear and was burning my clutch my bro told me that was the reason but what you said made me realize it was that .. thanks ooh one more thing it also makes this nasty winding sound and when i press the gas it stops my bro said it can be the alternater belt or a belt how much would that be like $ wise
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The accessory belts are easy to tighten yourself if you have a small 10mm socket wrench. They all have tension bolts, so just find the bolt on the bracket that serves that purpose and tighten it a bit.

And I have no idea how much a shop would charge - I haven't let anyone work on a car of mine since 2004.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM

dang thats a long time bro i wish i could do all my work too.. but im scared of messing it up tho lol.. is it worth making it a TT or shoul i save up n buy one i herd that it can work better because its lighter and it dosnt have hicas but thats what i herd ... you seem to know alot so ill ask you ... i hope you dont mind all these questions
Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I mind questions that could be answered through searching.

No, converting is not better. HICAS is a fantastic system. Unless your NA is pristine or has sentimental value, there is literally no benefit to a conversion. It will also cost less to just buy a TT (don't underestimate the conversion process - it's an expensive undertaking... most shops charge in the neighborhood of $10k for the work).
Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

P.S. If you can't even drive your NA without breaking stuff, it'd be a tragedy for you to have a Twin Turbo any time soon.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM

yea my 300zx is in good almost immaculate condition but dont want to spend anything on it till i learn how to control it and drive it unless its soomething mechanically i need to get . its my first 5speed and im in the learning process .. thanks for the advice and while i learn in this car ill save up money to buy a twin turbo later in the future thankss bro.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
P.S. If you can't even drive your NA without breaking stuff, it'd be a tragedy for you to have a Twin Turbo any time soon.
how bout, if you cant tighten a squeaky belt it would be a tragedy to have a tt.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 PM

well the only way to learn is by doing it my self and learning in the process
Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Tough Guy

yeah. but you asked how much it costs at a shop, so its easy to assume you dont want to learn.

doing a tt swap is not something you want to learn how to do without any kind of mechanical knowledge. And i mean years of knowledge. I just put a new motor in my car and although i didnt think it was hard, it wasnt easy and ive been working on these cars for at least 6 years, and on the 80s models for about 5.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM

yes i did say i want to learn and i will it will take lots of time money and patience and love for it . ive been wanting a 300zxtt for a while and i got one for a trade( n/a instead) so im exited about it.. i really wanted a tt but i can wait for that since im still young and learning . i hope to soon know as much as all of you guys here . like i said i want to learn and thats why i joind this forum . thsnks again and ill let you guys know how the belt went thanks and take care guys